• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod twist vs cam lock leg locks

opeagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
I've always used cheap tripods and they tended to feature cam locks on the leg extensions. I've used a Silk with the twist locks and generally found them to be a pain. I see the newest offering from Shadow Tech offeres cam locks, but both RRS and Fiesol seem to have twist locks.

Whats the pro and con to twist locks on these more premium models? I'm considering stepping up in tripods but I've not liked twist lock in the past.

for me ive found that the twist locks are just stronger and easier to take apart when cleaning the tripod after a dirty match or hunt.

Do you find that it's simply more time consuming to set them up? I seem to always have one loose and one tight and I have to fight with them to get the legs where I need them.

Nope. Training and use will fix that. If you get a decent one, you can crank down on the cams without worrying about damage.

Last edited:
I should clarify, the cams locks always work fine. It's the twist locks I don't like.

I'm interested in more opinions about this. I have both types on lesser quality tripods and am looking to upgrade. I also prefer the cam locks on mine to the twist locks on another camera tripod that I used to use for my spotter.

Consider that I, like perhaps others, am less likely to clean all of my gear after a match and more likely to just use it again next time. Then, maybe I'll wipe down the leg sections if I am so inclined. Lazy? Possible so, but I guess that I think my tripod should require minimal care in order to keep working.

I'm interested in more opinions about this. I have both types on lesser quality tripods and am looking to upgrade. I also prefer the cam locks on mine to the twist locks on another camera tripod that I used to use for my spotter.

Consider that I, like perhaps others, am less likely to clean all of my gear after a match and more likely to just use it again next time. Then, maybe I'll wipe down the leg sections if I am so inclined. Lazy? Possible so, but I guess that I think my tripod should require minimal care in order to keep working.

Dirt is the enemy of anything. If it gets inside the locking mechanisms, cam or twist, they are likely to not work as they should. It doesn't have to be done every time but some periodic MX will keep it working when u need it most

I don't disagree with that at all. That's why I'm interested in experiences from those who use tripods more than I currently do.

That makes sense. I've not used any of those high end products yet, just plenty of lesser quality twist locks on various tools and an old camera tripod.

Both work if they're quality product.
Train-a lot-with what you've got.
-Twists are lighter and more flush.
-A quality latch is pretty easy to adjust once you're on the rifle without a not of movement.
Also, I can see that a latch is secure from 20' away- not so easy with twist locks unless you mark the legs.

I like twist locks for many reasons mentioned above. I remember one poster saying there were issues with twist locks in the extreme cold. Might have been the hog saddle rep.