• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Tripod usage

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
How often do you actually get to deploy a tripod to use as rear support on barricades? Is it worth carrying one around for a whole match? Do most matches let you use them in a non-traditional way on stages? I recently got a nice Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and just wondering how practical its gonna be to tote around.

I would definitely bring one. Seems like I have used mine more as rear support and for binos spotting targets, but occasionally (rarely) there are stages which require you to shoot off the tripod. One of the more common questions heard as stage briefing is being given is "Can I use a tripod?" There are a lot of matches that don't want unfair advantage given to those with high end tripods, and you see that reflected in COF.

I always carry one. You will probably rarely be able to shoot off of the tripod in a traditional manner, but they are very handy for other things if you are creative (rear support is very common). I have been to a few matches that had "no tripods, period" gear restrictions but they are the exception. It's not hard to strap a tripod onto your pack somehow.

I carry mine with me on all matches. 90% of the time it's used for spotting with binos on it, then sometimes I'll use it in a stage if it's suited. Usually when I involve it in a stage it's as rear support. Shot a match yesterday, 10 stages total, only deployed it in one stage on 2 positions out of 5. Spent the rest of the time with binos on it spotting for the squad, everyone took turns. I'd bring it just for the binos, even if it was a "no tripod" match.

The need for a tripod has definitely been minimal, but I am starting to see more use of them in matches. I hope there becomes more tripod usage in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I've been to several matches in which there was not one opportunity to break out the tripod lol.

pretty much the same as everyone else here. i bring mine and have binos mounted on it for spotting targets, and i'll use it in a stage for rear support if deemed necessary. i always bring mine, because about 75% of the shooters dont have binos or other glass to spot targets and get a good read on the wind, so i just set it up and everyone in my squad uses it.

My club matches either embrace or shun them. Depends on who the match director and author of the course of fire.

Really dumb question here, that I am embarrassed to ask...but I'm trying to picture it in my head as I haven't been to a PRS match yet:

How are you using the tripod as a rear support, or in what circumstances would it be helpful as rear support?

Really dumb question here, that I am embarrassed to ask...but I'm trying to picture it in my head as I haven't been to a PRS match yet:

How are you using the tripod as a rear support, or in what circumstances would it be helpful as rear support?
if the front of your rifle is resting on a barricade and the back of the rifle is unsupported you can rest it against one of the legs of your tripod.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

if the front of your rifle is resting on a barricade and the back of the rifle is unsupported you can rest it against one of the legs of your tripod.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ahhh - gotcha. That didn't occur to me - for some reason I was picturing a shooter prone using a tripod as a rear rest.

Ahhh - gotcha. That didn't occur to me - for some reason I was picturing a shooter prone using a tripod as a rear rest.

It actually makes a very stable position out of almost anything. I put the tripod on my strong side, loop my trigger arm around one of the legs and then use my support hand to clamp the little bag-rider nub on my chassis to the tripod. It works out real well if there isn't a ton of movement, or if you get really good at dragging a tripod around. I've seen guys drag tripods effectively through some pretty tough stages :)