• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod with bowl

skxf430

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2022
Los Angeles
Just starting to do some research for a tripod to shoot off and for a spotting scope.

I noticed some tripods have a bowl. What is the advantage or disadvantage of having a tripod with a bowl?

*Not an expert* But adaptability is probably the biggest plus. Will you be doing any photography with it in the future? Will a family member?

Things like self leveling bases are still very popular and better suited to some kinds of shooting from what I gather. You can also still get something like the very popular RRS Anvil-30 and fit it to the tripod bowl.

Disadvantages are weight and size versus something dedicated to the Anvil-30 or a similar kind of dedicated shooting head.

But you may not even want an Anvil, or don’t want to expend the money on a RRS setup, which is all valid.

Reactions: skxf430
I wish there was a way to attach an anvil-30 to a tripod with a center column.

Just screw it directly on. The bottom is threaded 3/8”.
I wanted to attach it to the center stack of a Two Vets No Name Jr but was told it wouldn't work. Hmmm.

I wish there was a way to attach an anvil-30 to a tripod with a center column.
you can, but the center column is typically not particularly stable and may defeat the purpose of having a more expensive and stable tripod.

you can, but the center column is typically not particularly stable and may defeat the purpose of having a more expensive and stable tripod.

Yeah, I keep hearing that but have been shooting off of it for a couple of years now and much prefer it for hunting situations where I have to set up quickly, with no choice on the positioning. I can use the adjustable center column to quickly get proper height, even if I have no time to set up the legs...I'll use it as a monopod. Without the center column, a lot of adjusting must take place to get a shot off quickly, fine if you have the time, but useless if you don't.

Yeah, I keep hearing that but have been shooting off of it for a couple of years now and much prefer it for hunting situations where I have to set up quickly, with no choice on the positioning. I can use the adjustable center column to quickly get proper height, even if I have no time to set up the legs...I'll use it as a monopod. Without the center column, a lot of adjusting must take place to get a shot off quickly, fine if you have the time, but useless if you don't.
this is understandable, in a hunting situation where getting off a shot quickly matters more, and shooting sticks or a convenient branch works.
the linked discussion was more about an ideal platform for hitting a specific target repeatedly, or quickly and effectively engaging multiple targets from the same position.

this is understandable, in a hunting situation where getting off a shot quickly matters more, and shooting sticks or a convenient branch works.
the linked discussion was more about an ideal platform for hitting a specific target repeatedly, or quickly and effectively engaging multiple targets from the same position.
Yes you are right. I apologize for derailing the thread.