• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod with GC

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I am looking at the PIG tripod and what combination to go with. My primary use is for spotting with binoculars and coyote/deer hunting in the midwest. I don't do the PRS thing or even have a bolt gun. I would mainly be using my 5.56 SBR with this tripod for night/day hunting coyotes. I am considering just buying the tripod without a ball head or pig saddle and just slap my GC onto the tripod and rest my rifle on that.

Pros- quick and easy setup/takedown, cost effective just buying a tripod, GC bag is very stable and multi functional even without tripod

Cons- would not want to leave the rifle resting on the tripod by itself since it's only balanced and not secured, would add another 1.5lbs total weight with GC and tripod vs complete tripod, would have to adjust legs for big angular adjustments.

Being in the midwest, elevation is mostly flat, so I am not hugely concerned with an immediate huge change of angular adjustment. I know some use the table mount to throw a GC on which is an option as well. I know there are some limitations to the stability of the PIG saddle for PRS type shooting being it's not quite as stable at distance. So that makes think is it even worth buying? Just slap the GC on the tripod and be good-to-go type of thing.

What says the hide?

Should work fine for you needs. The PIG is heavy but otherwise a solid tripod for the money. You can always add a ball head down the road for more adjustment.

Reactions: aslrookie