• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripods - Aluminium or carbon fiber, and why?

Knight6

Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
California, USA
There has been plenty on the Hide about tripods. Often aluminium and carbon fiber tripods are mentioned almost together as examples of tripods to get. It seems to me that the obvious reason for carbon fiber is weight considerations. However, can anyone comment on how good the carbon fiber tripods are to shoot from against aluminium. Are the carbon fiber tripods less rigid a platform or are they basically the same and it all comes down to weight. I intend to get a Manfrotto system, but I just am not sure if I should go for aluminium or carbon fiber system. Currently I do not do much running and gunning, but do intend to enter precission competitions.

Thanks for comments in advance.

Carbon fiber is plenty sturdy and lighter weight. As long as you don't exceed the recommend weight ratings by too much you'll be fine.

Check out the ones with the Q90 feature if you want to be able to get close to the ground.

The reduced weight makes it nice for lashing to a backpack. Costs more but it's worth it.

Carbon tripods for some reason are more stable with less flex and absorb vibration. I had both, carbon and aluminum Monfrotto 190's and the aluminum was sold off. I don't regret the purchase at all.

Here is an article on tripods and the different models and it talks about aluminum and CF models. Aside from the reduced weight, CF models are more rigid and have less vibration but the vibrations mentioned are really only worth considering if you're taking pictures, not shooting a rifle. So really, for shooting, the CF models lighter weight is the biggest reason to go CF over aluminum if you're carrying it with you in the sticks. As far as weights they can handle, the 190 line is the same CF or aluminum, the 055 line there is a small weight increase capability with the CF model over the aluminum, I believe it's about 2 lbs more than the aluminum version

I would also tell you to look on e-bay for the older manfrotto model numbers of the 190 and 055 model lines(3001 and 3221), as they can be found for a lot less than what the new models go for. Also look for Bogen branded models as they are the exact same as manfrotto just under that name, the linked article explains the relation.

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod review, 055XPROB vs 055CXPRO3 vs 190CXPRO3 vs 190XPROB | Cameralabs

Last edited:
Carbon tripods for some reason are more stable with less flex and absorb vibration. I had both, carbon and aluminum Monfrotto 190's and the aluminum was sold off. I don't regret the purchase at all.

The PRS tripod we were shooting off was flexing like a bitch if you put any weight into it. Not the Carbon Manfrotto!