• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tripods for hunting

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Planning an elk hunt for a couple years from now do you guys carry a separate tripod for glassing or the same one you shoot off of. I'm currently using an rt80c with the leveling base so I'd probably need a different head to glass is why I ask

Planning an elk hunt for a couple years from now do you guys carry a separate tripod for glassing or the same one you shoot off of. I'm currently using an rt80c with the leveling base so I'd probably need a different head to glass is why I ask
I’m not great at anything except complaining, but for me it’s the same tripod. Saves the weight, bulk, and headache of two tools when one will do.

I’ll say that because it doesn’t have a center column, seated glassing takes a little longer to set up, but half of that is that I don’t practice it as much as I should. Not having a center column also makes it harder to change heights, so I’ve had to figure out my “settings” a little more diligently, but that’s quite common. Also, switching from binos to an angled spotter and back is kinda a nightmare, so I switched to a straight spotter and it’s vastly better.

If you can get a tripod you can shoot off of and you can handle the weight, it’s the way to go, and I never feel the need for a separate glassing tripod.

I would definitely get a head that can pull double duty, not sure where your planning on hunting but if it’s a diy hunt in the mountains then weight is everything.

I’ll use my heavier shooting tripod and a super lightweight tripod if I’m really close to the truck so I can run my binos and spotter at the same time without the constant swapping back and forth on the same tripod. Which one I actually carry hunting mostly depends on how far I’m planning on hiking that day. If it’s real far I’m taking my ultralight gitzo and just plan on using either a bipod or my pack to shoot off.

I use one. Spent lots of time with a RRS anvil2 and last season used the RRS short SOAR one with the center column. Basically comes down to weight and how far you will have to go.

I finally bought the RRS SOAR with Anvil 30 and haven't regretted it. I placed ARCA mounts on my rifle, spotter, binos, and my kids. I use the tripod all the time. General spotting with bino, switch to spotter to verify, throw on rifle and off to the races.

Use 1 tripod . Makes it much easier to haul all around.

Last edited:
I finally bought the RRS SOAR with Anvil 30 and haven't regretted it. I placed ARCA mounts on my rifle, spotter, binos, and my kids. I use the tripod all the time. General spotting with bino, switch to spotter to verify, throw on rifle and off to the races.

Use 1 tripod . Makes it much easier yo haul all around.
This is your answer. Same for me except I use the rrs tvc24. I went with this model cause of the tall height to weight ratio and it’s ability to work awesome for matches and hunting.

Reactions: waveslayer