• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripods, manfrotto 190 series vs the 055's

scatterbrains

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
Looking into tripods and going to go with manfrotto. What if any difference is there between the 190 and 055 series as far as useing it for a shooting tripod?
Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks

I had the 190CX and ended up with the 055CX combined with the HOG saddle it is much more stable a platform for shooting/ranging/glassing

Big diff imho and worth the size/weight/$$ for the benefits for me at least

Get the 055 series if you plan to shoot off a tripod. It is much more stable than the 190. If money is an issue get the aluminum leg version and deal with the weight penalty.

I sell both of these models (work in the photo industry).
For stability the 055 is definitely the way to go.
The only reason I'd suggest the 190 is if you are going to be packing your gear long distances where every pound is going to count.

Hey scatterbrains, this is Matt G. I believe we have shot together a few times and you have likely seen me shoot off my monfrotto cxpro190 and hog saddle.

I have owned both the aluminum 190 and carbon 190 and an aluminum 055.

Overall for constant carry and use the carbon version is lighter, quieter and more ridgid. The 190 is way smaller for carrying around or strapping to a pack but after all the reviews and camera forum scientific tests it looks like (and I would agree) the carbon 190 dampens vibration and is plenty stable versus the aluminum 055.

FYI I run the 19lb AI AX so you know I put some weight on the tripod. I do have a new version 055 aluminum that is only used for range use but rarely goes out. I take the 190 carbon everywhere....

I use a 055 carbon fiber with a really right stuff bh-55 for photography. It's rock solid with my Nikon d4 and sigma 130-300 2.8 glass. When attached to my bag I don't notice the weight and it really doesn't add much to the footprint. I'd guess and say it would be good enough for popping groundhogs at 400 yd. don't skimp on your legs. You get what you pay for especially in the photography world!

I sell both of these models (work in the photo industry).
For stability the 055 is definitely the way to go.
The only reason I'd suggest the 190 is if you are going to be packing your gear long distances where every pound is going to count.

I'm wanting the 055XB, and all my searches on the web say either discontinued, or a company selling them on eBay that doesn't have any contact info.

Please PM me if you can sell one at a reasonable price.

Rivet Joint - We stay longer in the most sensitive areas.