• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HuntND

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
North Dakota
Could someone tell me what tripod I should get, make and model and what head and other accessories I need, it’s main purpose will be coyote hunting at night with thermal rifle and standing and scanning , I’m 5’10, as of right now I don’t have any rails on guns but that will change in future but will have to go clamp style for now, pretty open on price, want the most stable I can get, won’t be carrying far. And if you know any places to buy this stuff in stock let me know. Thanks

If your life is going to depend on it RRS SOAR. Every thing else is imported crap.

If your life doesn't depend on it you could join me waiting for a worthwhile group but. It's been a long wait. But I do not like to pay retail.

If you called me, I’d point you to look at the Versa Series TVC-22i. Strong tripod, twist locks stay at arms reach, since the legs are inverted the joint gets larger so stronger instead of the opposite. Twist locks always in reach so they are out of snow and mud, probably the stingray standing tripod we offer right now and at the lowest price point since it has so much less aluminum, rubber and plastics needing molded.

You could get a 2 series/universal leveling base for it or the anvil which is backordered up till end of Feb at this point.

We have a Vyce QR for all rifle mounting or you could mount one of our USR rails on any rifle you have for the most part.

Two vets tripods are stupid nice and about half of a RRS. I bought my tripod from them and then run a RRS head on it, because they have the best heads and bases no contest.

Reactions: Baron23
Honestly I've been super happy with my Patriot Valley Arms tripod. Carbon fiber, it's not super light like the RRS is, but I don't carry it that far and it's fairly light for a tripod of its size. Extremely sturdy and I got it from a guy on here in the px. I don't remember what I paid but I think it was around 200 or so. Obviously RRS or ProMediaGear are going to be the top flight options. If you will be carrying carrying it a decent amount, I'd spend the money on one of those two. If you aren't carrying it a long way or aren't sure how much you will use it, then you might be better off going the way that I did. Of course, I sort of planned on one day getting a top tier one and then having 2, so I'd have one for glassing or whatever else I wanted to put on it, and one for shooting.

Two vets tripods are stupid nice and about half of a RRS. I bought my tripod from them and then run a RRS head on it, because they have the best heads and bases no contest.
I just received a Two Vets No Name tripod and I'm fairly impressed with it....and the gift giver was def not springing for an RRS so there is that!
haha

I did order an Anvil-30 but as noted, they are on B.O.

@MPHReallyRightStuff - on the site it says for the Anvil-30 "PRE-ORDER NOW | Initial Pre-Orders start shipping Est. Jan 2022"

Now, it does say "initial" and I'm guessing that's not me...I ordered on 12/23/21.

So, are you saying that reasonably current orders are B.O.'d until late Feb...maybe even Mar?

Thanks

I recommend the "Really Right Stuff Versa TVC-33 Mk2 SOAR Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod TVC-33-MK2-S3

This w/ the Anvil 30 conversion or the combo they offer using both. The Anvil 30 will handle both Picatinny and ARCA. It works wonderfully for scanning and can be clocked to your preference for where tightness or looseness comes in and how tight it clamps at full force. The apex w/ the Anvil 30 setup is also very compact. Much easier for packing/carrying.

I use an Innorel RT90c, Midwest adapter plate, and an Anvil-30 for coyotes day and night.

The Anvil is extremely nice for night hunting. I can’t say the tripod is as sturdy as something like an RRS since I haven’t used one. I don’t feel like it could get much sturdier though. The RRS is definitely lighter. For coyote hunting I feel the weight is a benefit myself.

Anvil 30 rather than the BH55 or BH40?
If you’re mostly shooting anvil 30 I did a bunch of research before buying and the bh55 was my other option I mostly shoot off mine so I went with anvil 30. I use it to glass off of at matches and it’s good for that too but not probably quite as smooth while panning as the ball heads I don’t regret it.

I guess I kinda figured the Ball head would be smoother panning since its on a flat base also, thats kinda what i like about it, Since i will be scanning alot with the thermal, But I can see where the anvil would be quicker. Can you have it half tightened and still scan smoothly?

I guess I kinda figured the Ball head would be smoother panning since its on a flat base also, thats kinda what i like about it, Since i will be scanning alot with the thermal, But I can see where the anvil would be quicker. Can you have it half tightened and still scan smoothly?
Yes about 1/4 closed moves pretty easy

In regards to shooting from a high end tripod, what can the expectations be be consistency compared to a gun being shot off of a bench?

ie…if a gun is normally a 1/2 MOA shooter off of a bench, what kind of accuracy can be expected with a high end tripod?

Thanks

We've had 2 innorel 90's go tits up. They work, until they don't. Mine broke in the middle of a Qual at the MDS training class.

Same part. The leg collet (spl?) Shit locked up broke. We "fixed" mine then it finally gave way on me in the middle of a qual. FMR. Lol

In regards to shooting from a high end tripod, what can the expectations be be consistency compared to a gun being shot off of a bench?

ie…if a gun is normally a 1/2 MOA shooter off of a bench, what kind of accuracy can be expected with a high end tripod?

Thanks
That’s an interesting question I need to test that out

Reactions: Earnhardt

Thanks
A shooter off a bench capable of a lot of 1/4 MOA prints will work to shoot 1/2 MOA standing off the best tripods. That sounds like a lot, but it is not.

The real trick is not inducing wobble, yet still seeing the impact, especially if using a light magnum. Setting the tripod up to work for you is key.

You might find some tips here:

Thanks
Shooting groups at 200 yds, tripod set at height to shoot sitting on a chair, I want to pull my fucking hair out, lol!!! I need to try it standing up and see if I do any better.

Shooting groups at 200 yds, tripod set at height to shoot sitting on a chair, I want to pull my fucking hair out, lol!!! I need to try it standing up and see if I do any better.
I have found using a sling to triangulate with the tripod structure takes a lot of wobble out when set up for standing shots.

I've been thinking about using this tripod. I use it for work with some precision equipment and its very stable, and built like a tank.
Leofoto LN-404C

Not necessarily for competition, but everyone in the military still uses manfrotto 190 or 055 with a manfrotto ball head and it does the job. Still not optimal but Italian quality versus chinese...

I use an Innorel RT90c, Midwest adapter plate, and an Anvil-30 for coyotes day and night.
My Innorel 90TC with anvil 30 has done everything I could ask of it .
This ⬆️
Big fan of this combo. Later on if you decide you must have a RRS tripod, you already have a great head and can put the Innorel on the exchange or stick your optics on it.

RRS TFCT Anvil-30. they are expensive, but when you waste a class, hunt, or match b/c of gear failure...you learn a lesson... it's worth it to buy once cry once.

Reactions: RRW and Todc
Just an update, I ended buying a used TVC33 that came with a ball head, I also bought an anvil 30. The tripod I had been using was a sirui n-2204sk and my va5 head off my spotting scope, it works fine for coyotes up close but any distance and it’s a little shaky. First impressions is it’s huge, and very stable and kinda heavy with everything on it. I also think I may stick with a ball head. I will try out the anvil in the field and see how I like it. but The ability to pan left and right on a fixed plane is really nice with a thermal in my opinion, I just don’t get the same fluid motion with the anvil. I can see where the anvil is much quicker and locks down firm though. Thanks guys

Attachments

• 93C0936E-FAA6-4E0B-BA60-F8411B91BF9E.jpeg
    93C0936E-FAA6-4E0B-BA60-F8411B91BF9E.jpeg
    772 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: HenryTheAce
Rrs guys are very adement that they didn’t overpay for a tripod with the same stability and construction as a two vets for twice the price.

• Haha
Reactions: RRW
Just an update, I ended buying a used TVC33 that came with a ball head, I also bought an anvil 30. The tripod I had been using was a sirui n-2204sk and my va5 head off my spotting scope, it works fine for coyotes up close but any distance and it’s a little shaky. First impressions is it’s huge, and very stable and kinda heavy with everything on it. I also think I may stick with a ball head. I will try out the anvil in the field and see how I like it. but The ability to pan left and right on a fixed plane is really nice with a thermal in my opinion, I just don’t get the same fluid motion with the anvil. I can see where the anvil is much quicker and locks down firm though. Thanks guys
You can add a pan feature for the one off panning for feathery 106g and even make the leofoto guys happy killing 2 birds in one stone.

62515663-1343-47EC-A8AF-6D7744D1B5ED.jpeg

Not the most elegant but it works. Honestly with with time the anvil get more instinctive

Just an update, I ended buying a used TVC33 that came with a ball head, I also bought an anvil 30. I will try out the anvil in the field and see how I like it. but The ability to pan left and right on a fixed plane is really nice with a thermal in my opinion, I just don’t get the same fluid motion with the anvil. I can see where the anvil is much quicker and locks down firm though. Thanks guys
Glad you got sorted out!
Just for posterity purposes for the next guy or gal researching the interwebs for a tripod, the RT90/Midwest adaptor/Anvil 30 setup pans right/left just fine. There is a lever on the tripod that adjusts friction to the adaptor plate. I don't know about being fluid smooth, but I use it a lot for spotting between targets within a stage.

Attachments

• Tripod Pan.jpg
    Tripod Pan.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: RRW
My tallest tripod, a Sirui R-5214XL, is 79 inches at its maximum. I have the optional center column which gives me another 25 inches. The center column sees use pretty much only indoors, for situations where I might want to fine-tune the height in small increments.