• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Trophy Nilgai

Shady_Jay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2006
Damn, it has been a good week. On Wednesday we left Dallas for RO and shot the SH Cup. Sat night we left RO and headed South toward the border to one of my customer's ranch. We got there and Tom had massive steaks on the grill and cold beer. We had dinner and then loaded our gear and headed out.

We were in Tom's ATV and Todd was working the spot light.
SHCupandNelgaiHunt028.jpg

We had seen quite a few immature bulls and cows and we were excited. At 0100hrs Sunday we ran across this 700lbs monster. The ATV had skidded to a stop and the dust trail rolled over us. I rested the .300WM on a fence post and sent the round. The TigerShark suppressor makes it recoil like a 10/22. I watched the 180gr Accubond cut the through the dust in the air and straight into the Nilgai's shoulder. He dropped to his knees, then got up and ran 30 yards and was out.

SHCupandNelgaiHunt031.jpg

I didn't get to bed until 0430hrs after field quartering and a run to town for ice. We were back up at 0630hrs to get Todd on target. We ran the wheels off the ATV all day long but the winds were still too high for them to be moving. Not to mention we were 3 feet below sea level and it was approximately 195F with the heat index.

We took a break and went to town for a late lunch. We came back that evening and went about 12 miles into the ranch when we spotted a real nice one. Todd jumped out and lasered him at 270yards. He was standing next to a pond. Round Sent and it dropped like a sack of concrete. We were pumped because it went straight down by the water and would be an easy clean up afterwards. However when we got there we saw it dropped straight into the creek..lol
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-NHRoGt0kM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-NHRoGt0kM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
we winched it out and went to work. The bloody eye you see is from a Mexican Eagle that got to it before we did, not a head shot. It was high-shoulder.

SHCupandNelgaiHunt003.jpg

SHCupandNelgaiHunt002.jpg

By 1800 we made our goodbyes and were on the road North to Dallas. We had a small delay in Corpus with the police that set us back 2 hours...lol Blown headlight and trailer wiring we ripped out on a caliche road. We rolled in this morning about 0530 hrs. Too much damn fun man.

QUOTE OF THE HUNT:
I was in Tom's Jeep and Todd was behind in his truck. Tom runs over a five foot rattlesnake and we stop to make sure we killed it, which we did not. Todd jumps out with his knife and is trying to catch/kill it with his hands, knife and stick. We were both telling him to leave the damn thing alone because we were in the middle of nowhere and not taking him to the hospital, because he wasn't going to screw up our hunt. Todd dives into the Mesquite and disappears. Tom is yelling at me now to tell Todd to knock the shit off and I'm yelling back saying I've been telling him that but I am not gonna do shit about it because there is rattler in there with him now and fuck him if he gets bit. Todd then pops out of the brush with a headless rattlesnake and Tom asks what he is going to do with it now? And Todd says he is going to eat him and we're are like 'OK fine. Lets go'...... we get in the Jeep and Tom looks at me and says: "You know, I'm probably not the most chemically balanced person you have ever met....... but your friend is half-retarded."

Re: Trophy Nilgai

Now That's funny! I told you those are some big animals! Congratulations both of you, your freezers should be good and full now!

Chance

Hey CKA, are those Nilgai any good to eat?
I am assuming that they are edible.
How do they compare to Whitetail?
BTW, that is a BIG one you got there.
The biggest thing I've ever taken was a Caribou.

Dennis, the general consensus is that it is better than any meat to include beef. I don't know, this is Todd and I's first kills. But Todd has had it before and says it is better than elk and I LOVE elk so I can't wait to get the smoker fired up this weekend!

edit to add:

between the two we got 600lbs of meat in the coolers
smile.gif
About 350 off mine and 250 of his.

Nice write up CKA. Looks like you had a great hunt. Can't wait to hear about your encounter with the law!

Very nice, some excelent table fare for sure. Nilgai can be some tough critters to bring down but it looks as if you didnt have a problem. Great story, sounds like a trip you wont soon forget.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only imagine how humiliated the animal would be if it knew it was shot by someone with a pink username </div></div>

Probably on par with me whooping you at every match so far
wink.gif

You know, me just a dumb E-5 and you being an 0-4...heh

CKA. Nice kill man. There ought to be a hunting mag where people can write like they think and speak without all the niceties. Yours made for some entertainment on several levels. You might consider some video and a show.

An example.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SrA_kGB007U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SrA_kGB007U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Like two matches??

Looks like we need to settle this by finding a match we can both attend. They have F class and long range matches in Houston every month. You up for one?

When is the 600 yard match F Class match in Oklahoma?

I don't shoot F class anymore... I sold all my F class rifles... show up to the Bash!
smile.gif

Panta, you may be on to something there. Hunting rags bore me to tears and I like to write. hmmmm..... I need a publisher

Accubond Jeezus. You'd shoulda used an SMK. It would have worked much more better

*I'm cross referencing a thread for the funny

CKA it turns out that I have known Todd since High School but have not seen him in 10-12 years, he was just as crazy then glad to see he has not changed.

half retarded ain't crazy... it is just half-retarded

If I cant make you laugh your not normal.

If I cant make you say holy shit no one can.

Thats why I live every day as if it where the last.

Today could be your last day so make it a good day dont get mad at dumb stuff.

Tell your kids you love them if you dont have any kids tell somebody you care about.

Dont wait to give someone flowers until there gone.

Thats all ya'll go shoot.

You fuckers are queerring up my thread about killing shit.

Todd forgot: "Meet a friend at the movies and bring him chocolates"

no shit

from my uncle-in-law....lmao

"Little Nephew!! Why would you throw any slugs into such a goddamn ugly animal? You could have scared the thing to death by placing a mirror in front of it! And don't try to convince me that the meat is edible! Uncle Bill didn't fall off a turnip truck the day before yesterday!"

Oh my god! is that the infamous Big Tom E. what a stud! I heard he can do five kicks in a row and knows his way around an AR.

He has done right by me. I don't know what the issue is.

....Alrighty then.....just how much did you two hunting gods net out weight wise on the meat ?

i want to know how much rub i should send over.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has done right by me. I don't know what the issue is. </div></div>

He's a friend its an inside joke, no worries.