• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trouble Bore sighting my NXS 8-32 with Zero stops

cobravenom39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys,

Not gonna lie, kind of new to long range optics and rifles. This is my first long range precision gun, and I went big so I wouldn't regret it.

I have an MRAD with 30 MOA of elevation on the receiver. I have a regular ADM mount with no elevation built in. I just got my laser bore sighter, and it appears that I've run out of elevation because of the zero stop.

Basically, the laser from the boresighter is too high in the reticle and I can't move the POI down far enough. I removed the cap and tried to adjust the stop by unscrewing the scews and raising the clutch? I still didn't have any more room to move the POI down.

The instructions don't appear to be setup to address this issue, and I apparently am not familiar with it to infer what to do.

Any help appreciated.

First loosen your zero stop and move it up until their is a decent space between it and the stop and re-tighten it and put back turret knob and tighten it. Assuming it is a bolt action rifle I would take out the bolt setup a target at 25 yards sand bag the rifle or lead sled it and set the rifle so you can center your target looking thru the bore. Easy to see if 308, more difficult if 223. Then see where the scope is pointing relative to the bore. It will probably a little higher. Then adjust the scope to the same spot. Insert your laser and see where it is relative to the original bore sighting. It should be the the same place place if it is OK. If it is OK you now have a 25 yard zero. Remove the laser and adjust the scope for the range you want to zero at. The Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 I have is set for a 100 yard zero which if IIRC is what all Nightforce scopes call for. I set my scope to shoot 2" low at 25 yards then move out to 100 yards for final zero. When satisfied I then set the zero stop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I don't understand the first sentence, though.

I did pickup a LT112 in the interim. If all else fails, I can run this backwards and still get 10 MOA of elevation from it.

It's going to be close getting a 100yard zero with that 30MOA mount. The optic has 65MOA travel in the reticle so you will essentially be at the very bottom.

When you adjusted the ZS did you tighten it down again before making more adjustments? Try loosening the ZS and moving it again to gain some room on the turret.

Have you shot the rifle to see where impact actually is?

If all else fails, get another mount with only 20 MOA of cant.

Thanks for the tips. I just don'w want to blow through 10 rounds of .338 before I get this thing sighted in.

I did pick up the Larue LT112 with 20 MOA cant for almost half price used today, so I'll have that as a backup.

Thanks again, fellas

So, I tried getting more elevation adjustment out of the turrets, but no joy. I set up the gun on some sandbags and effectively bore sighted it to a roadsign at about 250 yards. It zeroed with about 6 milrads left of downward elevation. I have my fingers crossed, but I think I'm ok.