• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trouble deciding between Vortex 2.5-10x32mm and 2.5-10x44mm

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm looking for a budget optic for my MK12 build and I can't decide between the 32mm and 44mm versions of the Vortex Viper PST. I understand that the big difference is FFP vs. SFP and $200. I don't need FFP on this scope, so I'd like to save the $200.

My question is will I miss the parallax adjustment on the 44mm version? Also will the extra light gathering capabilities of the 44mm vs. 32mm objective be apparent? I do shoot in low-light situations out in the desert, trying to get every last minute of range time!

Attachments

• 44mm.jpg
    44mm.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 32m.jpg
    32m.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 17
the 32mm is without a doubt hands down the better scope. Big difference in glass clarity, it's not funny. Just go with the 32mm, it won't be regretted.

So Vortex uses different glass in the 32mm model? I would have thought they'd use the same glass in both scopes since they are in the same product lineup. Thanks for the heads up! My initial impression is 44mm would be best because I hear a lot of nighforce NXS 32mm owners on here that want to upgrade to the 42mm version, but if the Vortex 32mm uses better glass I will go that route.

I would also give a look at one of these for your Mk12 clone: Burris 2-10x42 XTR II 34mm Rifle Scope

The price is in the same ballpark as the Vortex 2.5-10x32mm, but the Burris also has FFP but it does have Parallax adjustment plus a real zero stop coupled with a 42mm objective, as a trade off of the illumination and a 32mm tube of the Vortex.

Last edited:
I've owned both flavors of the PST, and the 44mm SFP is crud in the glass department, while the 32mm FFP has very good glass.

I would also take a close look at the 2-10x Burris XTR if you don't need illumination.

I run the 2.5-10x32 vortex. Personally I didnt know about the FFP, whether id like it, until I tried shooting with it in shifty winds from 200-550yds. The hold off for wind when dialing elevation was a huge eye opener. I liked being able to use the reticle no matter the power. To some thats a moot point. But it worked awesome for me. I used the illumination for an early day break coyote hunt this last winter and it was great to have the red crosshairs. She came right in to 100yds and I put her down. The black crosshair was a bit tougher to pick up so that was nice to have.

The only issue id forsee using that burris xtr is finding rings for that 34mm tube. But it would be a great option also.