• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trouble getting bullet out of press

Some Day

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
PA
Started to do some reloading for my 300 Rum the coal is 3.80 to the lands.The problem is I have to unscrew my die to get the bullet out of the press every time.Is this common to have to do with long cartridges.I have a RCBS Rock chucker and Redding s type dies.Ive reloaded for a lot of years and this is the first time ive had this hapen.

You could back the entire seating die out a full turn or two (or more if needed) and see if that would help. The only reason I know of for setting the seating a deeply as recommended in the instructions is to allow for it to work with the shorter OAL's, unless your die is also designed to crimp while seating the bullet.

Last edited:
You may need one of the newer Rock Chucker Supremes or a Lee Classic Cast to fit your Ultra Mag. Hornady and a few others also makes a larger press.

The 300RUM is a relatively new cartridge, the original Rock Chucker has been with us a long, long time.

You have a 4" ram stroke on that press. You may need to raise the die and then lower the seating stem to accommodate this cartridge. I only have 3.8" on my Redding Big Boss II, but I have the Hornady LnL Bushings installed on it so it is a simple twist and pull to pull out my dies. For $15 (conversion bushing and a few lock rings), it was a good investment for me. Not everyone likes them, but I love them.

The ram is lowering all the way down.I measured from the ram to the top bodum side of the press and its 3"5/8 and the bullet is 3"3/4 long and plus the Redding dies have the plunger type case guide that sticks down.

The ram is lowering all the way down.I measured from the ram to the top bodum side of the press and its 3"5/8 and the bullet is 3"3/4 long and plus the Redding dies have the plunger type case guide that sticks down.

That's why they make presses like:

Redding Ultramag 4 3/4" frame opening
RCBS Big MAX 5" frame opening (discontinued but can be found on e-bay)
CH4D Champion 4 1/2" frame opening
CH4D Rock Crusher nearly an 8" opening (this monster weighs 104 lbs)

I used an RCBS Big Max (shown below) for more than 20 years just to load full length cartridges based on the 375 H&H case. If you going to load long rounds routinely, your going to need a bigger press......

DSCF1568.jpg

I use Lyman Orange Crusher and I barely have enough height when reloading the 338 Lapua. I've been looking and found a use Ultramag and now do all my reloading on that press, from 223 on up to my 338 Lapua.

Last edited:
I am going to have to look on e-bay for a bigger press.I had no trouble with it when I reloaded the 300 rum when i went by the reloading book for the factory 300 rum. But since I had William Roscoe work his magic on it and now wanting to shoot long range and getting more accuracy by setting closer the lands I see I'm going to have to have a bigger press.

I want to thank You all for your help.