• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trouble removing Burris scope bases need advice

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I would like to remove the 2 piece base set from my Marlin MR-7 and put a one piece base like a picatinny so I can mount my scope a little closer to my eye as I have to stretch my neck now when shooting from a bench. The problem is, the bases and rings both have torx head screws and so far, I have partially stripped one of the ring screws trying to torque to 25"lbs. and also one of the base screws. The base screws don't want to budge and I'm afraid I'll either strip the heads all out or maybe even break a screw off in the receiver.
eek.gif
The rifle is a Marlin MR-7 30-06 made in 1996 so I suspect, the base screws may have been in for years. Any advice on removing them would be greatly appreciated. I don't have Kroil to soak them with but do have BreakFree CLP or, would I be better to have a smith remove them? I just want to use a picatinny base and Burris sig. Zee rings so I can mount my scope further toward the rear closer to my eye. I think this is the bases that are on here now. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/627425/...hester-70-matte Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: Trouble removing Burris scope bases need advice

They might have used red lock-tite, get a soldering iron and hold it on the head for a minute or two and see if that works.

Will try thanks, if that doesn't work I guess I could drill the screw heads off lift the bases off heat again closer to receiver and use a pair of vice grips.
smile.gif

Buy some torx bits. Put them on the screw head and tap with a hammer so that it'll seat at the base of the socket.

Heat up the bit. I use a little butane crack torch.

Using heavy downward pressure, rotate ccw to back it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy some torx bits. Put them on the screw head and tap with a hammer so that it'll seat at the base of the socket.

Heat up the bit. I use a little butane crack torch.

Using heavy downward pressure, rotate ccw to back it out. </div></div> Sounds like a great idea! I don't have the torch you describe but sure see where it would be a valuable tool to a gunsmith for sure. Do you suppose I could use a normal size propane torch if careful, holding it at the proper angle and maybe wrapping the receiver several times with aluminum foil or, maybe wet cloths to protect the bluing finish? as this old rifle has 98-99% bluing and looks and shoots great! Sure do appreciate the support here on this forum! Thanks Folks!
smile.gif

A big torch will work too. I use the small one only cause the bench always has stuff on it and with the smaller flame I mitigate collateral damage.

Id be pissed if I cooked an indicator or something- which is how my luck goes. . .

Buy a few of the torx inserts. If the tool even looks remotely funny after use, pitch it and use a new one. They can often times snap and lodge in the screw head socket if you push your luck. If this happens you are phukked. Only way I've been able get them out is to mill at that point.

Using a fresh insert solved it.

Good luck.

C.

Another trick to loosening up stubborn screw is a 50/50 mix of ATF/acetone. Works great. So does boiling the action in antifreeze. The heat cooks the loctite and the coolant will creep and loosen stuff up.

C.