• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trouble Setting Up Vortex Razor HD II, Any Other Scopes More Forgiving of Eye Relief

Paul_H

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 20, 2019
Norwich, CT
I am pulling out what little hair I have left. I put a Vortex Razor HD II on my new rifle and I'm having fits trying to get the eye relief setup for different positions. I never had this problem on my old rifle with a Bushnell XSR II scope, which makes this even more frustrating. Even in a single position I'm having a hard time. It "feels" like my head position is overly sensitive with this scope. I'm not usually one to blame hardware, but am starting to wonder if the Vortex Razor HD II is just really sensitive to head/eye position. And, if it is are there other scopes less so? I'm willing to spend more if I have to, not really looking to step back down to a Bushnell.

One thing I have noticed is that it feels like i need my cheek weld to move to the right so I don't have to rotate my head as much to get my eye centered on the scope eye piece. Problem is my cheek weld only shifts to the left, which doesn't help. I'm running an MDT ACC chassis if that helps.

I thought it dialed in, but at a match two weeks ago, I had nothing but trouble getting a good sight picture all because I couldn't see through the scope due to my eye not lining up. I am going to a class in two weeks, so will have a second set of eyes to critique my position and how I address the rifle. Hoping though to get my stuff setup prior to class as best I can.

Things I've tried with no success:
I've tried taller and shorter scope rings.
Double checked, as best as I can alone, that I'm square to the rifle.
Tried various cheek weld heights.
When prone adjusted my bipod height to every possible setting.
Moving scope forward and back. Also tried different scope ring locations to allow for closer and farther away of the eye piece.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Last edited:
You didn't mention changing the distance of the eyepiece to the eye/cheek weld...🤠

Apologies if this comment is a mis-understanding.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
You didn't mention changing the distance of the eyepiece to the eye/cheek weld...🤠

Apologies if this comment is a mis-understanding.
I did leave out that part. I've tried moving the scope back and forth, and a variety of combinations of ring locations to allow the scope eye piece ote be further and closer away. Let me update my original post to include that. Thanks.

I have no idea, mine has a pretty generous eye box and I have no trouble form prone to bench or bipod. I would definitely get another set of eyes or set up a camera to film your position hopefully you get it worked out.

Paul I wish I was still in CT and I would meet up and help you set it up. Used to live in Groton.

The Razor II is not sensitive to head/eye position and one of the best scopes for this as it has a huge eye box. It's super easy to get behind and one of the reasons it's so popular in PRS style matches where you are using it in many different positions.

Did you have the scope on max power when adjusting the eye relief? If you have a proper height rings and the adjustable comb set up so it's at the right spot then those should be non issues. Once you set eye relief, I do it prone straight behind the rifle, you should be all set. I have mounted many of these scopes on my rifles and it takes about 10 minutes and it's done. Not sure where the disconnect is setting up this one. Can you post up a pic of your set up?

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
Let me grab some pictures at lunch time today and I’ll post up. I feel like it has to be something I”m doing. Too many folks having great luck with this scope, that I do doubt it’s the scope. Just getting frustarted enought to want to toss it out the window....

Thank you all so far fo you offers to help and reassurance that it’s me and not the scope.

Didn't have time at lunch to grab some pics, will try and grab some later.

Do think I had a minor epiphany though. Realized the cheek riser was not centered left to right. Cheek riser was shifted all the way to the right, making my head lean over probably more than it should. Don't remember adjusting it, so may have some that way out of the box. Did some rough adjusting and got it to where I an clearly see the reticle prone, or as prone as I can get (I'm a big guy and use a pump pillow under my chest and a tall bipod), and in a seated position. A few more positions to mess with later, but feel like I've actually made progress.

I agree with Rob, I feel the Razor has one of the most forgiving eyeboxes at it's price range. I suspect it's a setup issue. Good news is setup issues are usually free to fix.

So, my scope issues were definitely setup related. Just got the Manners PRS-TCS stock I've been waiting for. Put the same action, rings, and Vortex scope that were giving me fits in the MDT ACC chassis into the Manners, and had everything adjusted read to go in less than 10 minutes. The way I had my ACC chassis adjusted is without a doubt the source of trouble I was facing. Thanks all for chiming in and offering your advice.

Reactions: Rob01
Just to close the loop on how I "fixed" my issues in case anyone else is struggling. I remounted my action and scope in an MDT ACC chassis. Realized after watching one of the training videos that I was leaning my head way too far over to address the cheek weld. I was holding the butt of the rifle too far out on my shoulder and had to cant my head too much. Why I didn't do this naturally with the Manners stock vs the chassis I don't know. With the chassis I pulled the butt much more towards my centerline, which let me keep my head much more upright. Magically, I was able to get the scope, cheek weld, and eye relief all adjusted in short order and can properly see through the scope in all my shooting positions.

I still have a class this weekend and will have someone double check how I address the rifle, but I'm much happier now that I've worked it out.