• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Trouble-shooting

Sterling Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
Louisville, Kentucky
Recently, I read a few threads in this section regarding shot groups. I guess, the original posters wanted to know what folks here thought about their marksmanship. In each thread the advice was mostly about what could be done to the hand-load. It seems to me, these folks, placing all of their bets on ammunition, don't recognize that there are a multitude of factors which can effect shot placement; and, it all needs to be analyzed before coming to any conclusions about what corrections need to be made to improve shooting results.

For me, the analysis begins by comparing the shot call with the bullet strike. A shot that goes on-call, or not, helps me recognize areas which could be a source of trouble. For example, if the shot does not go on call, I'll be thinking about wind, and/or my zero. If the shot goes on call but is not "right-in-there", I'll think about the elements and factors of a steady position.

The list of trouble-shooting areas is not long. Looking at sight alignment, trigger-control, perspective of aim, wind, position, equipment, or, perhaps, lastly, ammunition is as much stuff anyone usually needs to get into.

At any rate, I mention trouble-shooting as, until the shooter can quickly analyze the source of trouble, at the least, marksmanship will be stymied, or worse, acting off an incorrect analysis, the results will be a disaster, like making a windage correction for non-existent wind.

Re: Trouble-shooting

+10, far too much emphasis on this site and most others on equipment technology, rather than marksmanship skills. If you can't shoot a 22 RF match rifle at 50 feet, indoors and call every shot, you have no business with a centerfire match rifle, outdoors at long range.

"Long Range, Where Fantasy Collides with Reality" That is a GEM!

++++++++ Sterling and Mr. Humble, If you can not pay attention to the basics of markmanship, ammo or shot group is the least of the issues. Don't try to figure these things out by yourself, you will only make bad.....worse. Get a coach and spend more time on the trigger, not with gadgets and ammo.

This is why we put out the Online Training program and so far it has been very successful, especially with people who are willing to be objective with their shooting and not try to blame it on phantom theories or equipment.

As stated it comes down to driving the gun correctly and the fundamentals of marksmanship, properly executed. There are a lot of myths and legends out there which have been passed down from generation to generation, so it's important to understand the mechanics of a shot. The mechanics of a shot aren't about the bullet, the scope or the barrel, but the shooter, something a lot of people want to deny because it some how makes them less manly to admit they have a trigger issue, or breathing problem it's much easier to blame it on spin drift or load development, because then there is a scientific excuse tailored made to the shooter.

Nothing can replace competent instruction, regardless of your level of proficiency. As well be objective and understand shooting is a cause and effect endeavor, when you do "that" this is what happens.