• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trouble with sizing

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Setting up my sizing die (FL) to bump shoulder 0.002.

Get it all set. Measure. Lock Down. Check it. All is well.
10 rounds later its moved to 0.005 (measure). Ugh
Reset to 0.002. Measure. Lockdown. Check it.
15 rounds later 0.005.

DAMMIT SO MUCH

It doesn't appear the die is moving, the orientation is still the same, but i keep getting the 'growth' of shoulder bump. I am by no means a reloading expert, but I am triple sure I tightened everything down, and the fact that it keeps repeating is driving me nuts. I'm OCD so I know for damn sure that orientation was stuck. I checked 2-3 after lockdown 0.002....then run a bunch, then spot check....getting 0.005.

Hornady dies. 6.5 Manbun. Starline Brass (LRP). Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheap calipers and Hornady case comparator I’m guessing? Are all your cases equal headspace presizing?

I don’t have a great answer for you, but floating the sizing die off the shellholder is an inherently inconsistent method. You can probably keep at it and get it to “settle in” eventually, but the best method is Redding competition shellholders, and the next best way is using shim stock between the shellholder and the sizing die. Either of those will yield more consistent results, with less tinkering.

Good luck to ya

I do get consistent pre-readings (last night was at '25' on the dial start every time) and use a quality mitsoyo (its 1950s era), but it is hornady comparator. Also a Lee Single Stage and Hornady locking ring.

I watched video after video and they all make it seem so easy, I am constantly battling it.

This is probably not your answer, but: I switched from imperial wax just on the case body to using one shot and I noticed inconsistent measurements. Turned out to be lube build up on my precision mic due to lube on the datum line. Cleaned that good and it went back to normal. Again, probably not helpful since you get good numbers after resetting the die.

That may be it. Thanks, I will try and nail that down. All the horror stories, I may be getting too much Imperial (or too little), and I know a little goes a long way. Generally I dab every 2-3 rounds and try and hit the inside when the press 'feels' like it needs it (every 5 or so)

Is it the aluminum frame lee press? or the cast iron. Lube, sizing force and hard stop.
Lanolin or Lee lube. I put a dab on my off hand index finger (enough for 10 to 15 cases) wipe EVERY case body, size to press hard stop and hold.

Is it the aluminum frame lee press? or the cast iron. Lube, sizing force and hard stop.
Lanolin or Lee lube. I put a dab on my off hand index finger (enough for 10 to 15 cases) wipe EVERY case body, size to press hard stop and hold.
When you 'wipe' the case body--what exactly are you doing. I also am probably very inconsistent with my 'pull' Also something to pay attention to. I'll work on being very deliberate.

I lube every body one at a time. Start at top, twirl down. Nothing on shoulder or neck. Then size.
Lube next case, size.
I'm using a body die and collect neck die.
Lee-Lube.jpg

Last edited:
When I body size I stand the brass in a reloading tray and give a couple sprays from each angle with Frankfort arsenal lube

yeah I can’t stand the time required to lube cases by hand. I lay them in a shoebox and hit them with Hornady One Shot while rolling them back and forth. Aeons faster than one case at a time by hand, and at the right angle a little gets into the neck as well for the mandrel.

Reactions: spife7980
Lol I use @Strykervet s lanolin mix in a spray bottle... Chuck a couple handfuls of brass in a gallon Ziploc bag, couple squirts in then a couple more handfuls of brass mix it up and then some more lube sprayed in there... Shake and knead the bag a bit..... Usually 200-300 case of 6.5cm in the bag when finished.... Never had a stuck case in thousands of rounds loaded

Chuck it in the hopper for the Dillon and go....I have 0 time to lube cases 1 piece of brass at a time.

a lot of things is going on here. lube is one thing, then everything the rest... brass, press, die.

but bottom line is that most of people are not controling headspace to 0.001' either. there are few people who realy size their brass to this degree of precision, but most of them are just lying, have crapy caliper or dont measure all their brass...

Reactions: max1840
My method ain't fast but but since you have to touch each case anyway (except those that fill the hopper :) ), lubing each case as you pick it up, move it to the shell holder, and size it adds a few seconds per case. That eventually adds up to hours and hours of lost time.
Only putting lube on the body doesn't contaminate the shoulder/neck area of the die.
The collet die doesn't need lube.

My method ain't fast but but since you have to touch each case anyway (except those that fill the hopper :) ), lubing each case as you pick it up, move it to the shell holder, and size it adds a few seconds per case. That eventually adds up to hours and hours of lost time.
Only putting lube on the body doesn't contaminate the shoulder/neck area of the die.
The collet die doesn't need lube.
I was looking for the best bang for buck way to speed myself along. The one shot worked great. Way faster even when I dump the cases in the tumbler when I’m done. BUT i figured I’d get lube in my comparator. Even after wiping cases off to check, sure enough it gummed up on me

Im going to try one of these.