• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troubles with CED M2 Chronograph

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I needed a chronograph, wanted an Oehler, but could not deal with the size and shape of the Oehler 35P complete package of items (rifle size case full of chronograph, sensors, screens, rail, etc.), as my wife and I live full-time in an RV now.

The CED M2 chronograph was recommended by a number of forum member, and also on other websites, as the next best thing. It is a LOT smaller, and packs, even with a separately purchased, high quality (stable) tripod into 2 very small bags.

It is also VERY user friendly, with a control console that is not much harder to understand and use than a calculator with modest "features".

It's an ideal package for me - if it worked reliably.

But, after 3 weeks and 3 range sessions, I realize, and have now confirmed, that I have run into a few problems. Let's go through them, starting with simple ones first, and moving into the more complex ones. Note that I am NOT comparing the CED M2 to any other chronograph when noting those problems. I am simply pointing out what does not work as well as it needs to for reasonable satisfaction for a buyer.

SCREEN STABILITY:
The screens when mounted on the rail and attached to a tripod are a huge lightweight sail in even a 5 to 10 mph wind. Without countermeasures, the entire screen and tripod assembly will fall over, even WITH a pretty good $85) tripod, because the screens have great leverage over the tripod. I solved that by using a tripod that has a hook from which a stabling weight can be hung. On that hook, I hang my range bag, in which I insert several pounds of ROCKS.
smile.gif
That problem I view as solvable and not a crisis.

SHORT CABLES:
The cables that connect the screens to the console are only 20 feet long. That is already short, but it gets a little worse. The cables, in going from the screens to the console on the shooting bench, have to go down to the ground, across the ground, and then up to the tabletop, and then back at least 2 feet (so the darn console is not pulled off the table when the screens get blown over by the wind
smile.gif
). And, the STOP sensor is 2 feet further out than the START sensor, so you lose another 2 feet there. Realistically, this all limits you to about 12 feet from the shooting tabletop edge to the front sensor. That's if you don't stick the muzzle of your rifle over the edge of the tabletop! Realsitically, you lose another foot there, so now you are at 11 feet maximum from the muzzle to the START sensor.

The cure I thought MIGHT work, and DOES, is going down to your local Radio Shack store and buying a 6 foot 1/8 inch size TRG (Tip-Ring-Ground) cable, with male and female ends that match the screen cables and the console. I went all out, and paid the darn $30 for the very best gold-plated contacts version, just so I could say I gave this rig the very best test. They DO work, in the sense that the unit functions equally with or without them attached. They do allow me to position the unit out an additional 6 feet. That's the good news. The bad news is that they made no difference - they did not solve the muzzle blast problems noted below.

REACTIVITY TO MUZZLE BLAST:
This is a biggie. The unit reacts adversely to rifles' (note: plural of rifles, not just one rifle) muzzle blast. When I fire my 308, the unit sometimes works ok, but other times errors out right after firing. When I fire my 338 Lapua, the unit errors out just about EVERY time, but still sometimes catches the shot FIRST, and then errors out. When my friend with the Windrunenr in 338 Lapua fired HIS rifle, with its 30 inch barrel, the unit errored out EVERY time period. 15 shots in a row.

How do I know it is the muzzle blast. Simple. See directly below.

REACTIVITY TO MUZZLE BLAST FROM OTHER SHOOTING POSITIONS!!
This is a REAL problem. I noticed during the first range session, after about a dozen errors had occurred, and I had wasted a good chunk of my $1.10 per round 338 hand loads, that the unit immediately errors out anytime ANY rifle, ANYwhere on the firing line, even if 10 stations away, fires!

I'm not kidding.

Anyone who doubts my word is welcome to join me at Best of the West Shooting Range in Liberty Hill, Texas on almost any weekend, and see for themselves. A rifle fires, the unit errors out. I hit the CLR button, and try to fire my rifle before anyone else fires again (no joking). After I fire, IF it accepted the shot and gave me what looks like an accurate reading, it STILL errors out, and I have t clear it again before my next shot.

Maybe it's the roof over the firing positions that somehow causes this effect, but then don't almost ALL ranges have roofs over the firing positions?

I haven't found a solution to this problem, other than going to the range when the number of shooters there is likely to be low. This means when it is dark, or raining, or miserably cold. I don't regard this as a good solution.
smile.gif

A couple of people have suggested moving the screens even further out. That would certainly attenuate any muzzle blast from my and all other shooting positions, but: (1) remember the cables are already extended,a nd I don't know how much more they could be extended without creating problems, and (2) the further out the screens are from the bring line, the more precise their positioning must be to prevent shooting them, and (3) at this range where "cease fires" are the only chance to change targets, and ceasefires are called only every 75 to 90 minutes, people routinely crossfire to shoot at a still unshod target, and the screens won't show in a high magnification scope, so would be easily shot!

I'm not sure what to do.

I don't think the infrared screens would help, as they would provide a more consistent foolproof LIGHT signal, but they would not eliminate the reactivity to muzzle blast.

By the way, when I fired my carry piece through the screens, the 357 SIG round, zipping along at 1350 fps did error the unit, BUT like my 2 rifles, the unit did still capture each shot accurately first before erroring out from the muzzle blast.

I would really like to get this unit working properly, because I really like the interface, and I see that the results are very repeatable in terms of numbers delivered. But, the problems are driving me nuts.

Ideas?

Please do not suggest elaborate housings to isolate the sensors better from muzzle blast. Remember the size constraints that led me to this unit in the first place?

Besides, a housing would have to be incredibly heavy too, so that it would not fall over in the wind. And, shooters at nearby stations would find it in their way when cross firing to a "clean" target. And, I doubt that the range would allow me to set up a fortress on the firing range anyway.

Fire away with GOOD, practical, ideas.

Jim G

p.s. I have witnesses to all the above.
smile.gif

Re: Troubles with CED M2 Chronograph

I would not put up with that, call CED and see what they say. They might at least send you a replacement to try. There might be something wrong with your unit.

Mine did the same thing today, but I was guessing it was more sun related.

I was testing the same 338 bullets from Berger and they started off fine, I was checking zero with my 250 gr Scenars @ 300 yards, and the numbers were solid no errors. I was moving pretty slow and then moved over to my 250gr Berger loads.

I started with my lightest load working up, at which point my second batch the numbers started going south. It got to the point when it was reading that first round before the errors it was saying 3600+ fps then finally when I stopped 4000+ fps. I looked at the sun position and just figured the movement of the sun put it at a bad angle.

in Texas when this happened I would cover the unit with a cardboard target and then turn on the IR screens. In normal sun I don't use the IR screens. So I guessed this was a similar issue because during the overcast conditions when I first showed up, the numbers were solid and in line with what I suspected. Muzzle blast was not an issue as 20 shots fired fine.

I have the PVM 21 and will try that next, but like the convenience of the CED M2, I also have an Oehler 35P but its broke and has been, I need to send the box in to get the switch block fixed.

But I would look at the position of the sun, I started about 11AM overcast, but 1200 it was bright and sunny at my back which I suspect was sliding under the screens at an angle.

That has not been my experience with my CED M2. At my range the firing line is under roof, but my screens are out in the open. My unit has been reliable even in bright sunlight, much more reliable than the Shooting Chrony Gamma Master that it replaced. My Chrony wouldn't work well in sunlight and it seemed to consistently give about 80 to 100 fps faster readings than my CED. I set up my CED and Chrony screens in parallel to get readings off the same shot from each chronograph. I too would call CED and see what they say.

JimG,

After reading your velocity vs powder thread it is obvious that you pay attention to a lot of things and are very analytical.

I would submit that you have something loose either in the sensors, wires or the main unit. My reasoning is that a chrono measures light (or more precisely a change in light) via the sensors. The unit does not measure anything related to impulse or vibration. My initial thunk would be to set the unit up in a controlled environment (say your living room) and tap each of the components with an object (say a pencil) and see if you can reproduce the errors.

The second and most obvious thing would be to ask CED if they have experienced this in any other units. I cannot believe that they would produce an item specifically designed for measuring velocities of bullets that would be adversely affected by gun fire
laugh.gif
, just sayin'.

FWIW I also own a CED M2 that I picked up off a prize table at a sniper comp so we know that they support our hobby and not just the pistolero crowd as per their catalog. I know I damn sure would want to know if my product was not running right.

.02 from the cheap seats.

Cheers,

Doc

I am having the same problems. I have tried everything i can think of. Putting unit way out front, putting a cardboard box around it, ir screens, no screens at all, shooting high above the sensor, right above the sensors........

I am calling this week to send it back to be tested. It used to work ok for .308 but with my .243 I cant get a reading.

Well, you know what I'm going to say. Okay, I won't say it, but is "storage" REALLY that critical, in view of developments?

But, I do have sympathy. I just hope there is a satisfactory solution that will take the bad taste away and not leave you hanging for a long time?

Anyway, for lowlight, I recently contacted Oehler about the feed on my 35P printer, it sometimes overlaps a line, during summary. They said it's wearing out mechanically and offered to replace the ENTIRE UNIT for $50, and will pay return shipping if I include a check with the unit. And, they turn it around quick. BB

edit: that's a real good suggestion, by Xfan

My CED M2 worked great for the first year. Better than the other (less expensive units) in early morning, later afternoon, rarely missed a shot.

This winter I headed out to run a few rounds and the unit just simply did not work.

After two or three outings, many attempts to make it better (cord placement, new batteries, etc, etc) I phoned CED.

I sent my entire unit in and asked them to inspect, repair and return.
They did so in short order and I headed back to the range to test. Still didn't work.
(BTW, prior to sending it in, I ordered two sensors as through frustration, I shot one so I ordered a replacement and an extra.)

I phoned again around SHOT and was informed that when all returned my issue would be addressed.
A couple weeks went by and I received a call from them saying they were going to send me a sensor and a new head unit to test.

Went out this weekend and ran it again. There were some errors so I swapped the sensor out and it acted fine.
As my shooting session went on, I would get the occasional E1 or E0 code.

Both rifles I tested this weekend have Vias muzzle brakes on them FWIW, and the start sensor is 10' from the muzzle, sensors are approx 5" below bullet path.

Compared this unit next to a PACT unit and the PACT showed all rifles tested at least 80fps faster than the CED unit.

Hopefully I will be able to retest this weekend and see if I can get it back to working like it did when it was new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at a brand new (still in box) CED on thing comes immediately to mind.
Did you tighten the adjustment screws under the sky screen sensors?
</div></div>

Yes, I understand the importance of doing that, and do so each time.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JimG,

After reading your velocity vs powder thread it is obvious that you pay attention to a lot of things and are very analytical.

I would submit that you have something loose either in the sensors, wires or the main unit. My reasoning is that a chrono measures light (or more precisely a change in light) via the sensors. The unit does not measure anything related to impulse or vibration. My initial thunk would be to set the unit up in a controlled environment (say your living room) and tap each of the components with an object (say a pencil) and see if you can reproduce the errors.

</div></div>

Doc: I know that the unit reacts to light versus vibration or impulse, but I believe what is happening is that the muzzle blasts of my own and other nearby rifles are vibrating the screens assembly, and that vibraiton is creating light or shadow changes across the sensors, and the console unit is correctly saying these are "errors" since a front screen "event" is probably not followed by a correctly timed "matching" rear screen event at the right time to indicate a shot within the acceptable parameters of 60 fps to 7000 fps (I think that's the range the unit is programmed to accept). The screen arms and screens are simply too flimsy to stay put when there is muzzle blast anywhere in the same neighborhood, so they trigger the sensors, which send these surious signals that the console cannot reconcile.

The only way I have thought of so far to TRY to prevent this is to isolate the sensors within an enclosed "light box", with the only openings being entry and exit holes for sighting through and for the bullet to pass through, and an overwhelming light soruce INSIDE the box (like the infrared light sources that CED sells for the M2). But, this is impractical or unwise for several reasons:

1. It's too bulky to store and carry, and incredibly heavy in order to resist wind deflection
2. The range would probably not tolerate it being in the firing zone
3. If it didn't work, I'd have spent not only the cost of a custom box that doesn't look like crap, but the cost of the infrared lights and the rechargeable battery required to operate them in the abesence of 120v power at the rnage, bringing my investment in this flaky system to probably close to $500, and I view the odds of success as too low to justify making that further investment.

The other way I can see is to build an entirely different far stronger set of screens, but I lack the design knowledge to know what the critical atributes are.

As for setting up in your living room, my living room is 8 feet wide by maybe 13 feet long! And, the unit won't work indoors without infrared screens, per CED. And, the only way to activate it in the asbence of a real bulelt is to propel a small object across both sensors in the speed rnage between 60 fps and 7000 fps. CED optimistically suggests a rubber band. I've tried that OUTDOORS. It's incredibly hard to AIM a rubber band. I've also tried rocks. I guess Iam a poor pticher as I cannot reliably get them across both screens and simulatenosuly attain 60fps (40 mph). And, the neighbors alreayd think I'm nuts, why feed them more eivdence by trying to throw rocks or rubber bands across 2 funny looking screens?

I'm pretty pissed. This system is just too unreliable for prime time.

And, I am not going to play "ship back and forth" with the factory. been there and done that with other equipment that doesn't work quite right. My experience is that when something works SOMETIMES, but not reliably ALL the time, it's not a produciton quality issue, it's a design issue. The design did not adequately anticipate all the variables and dos not control them. Therefore, it will be an unending source of incidents and frustration.

The only reason I have persevered this far is that I need SOMETHING to measure velocity, as not knowing the velocity is a major problem - a missing fundamental without which you can do very little in precision shooting.

I NEVER had these kinds of problems with the Oehler. But I simply cannot fit that Oehler package into either my RV or my car without breaking it up into multiple boxes, which makes it into a pain in the butt to actually store, retrieve, move, and use, and then repeat at the end of each range session, without forgetting at least one component somewhere along the way. Life is too short for that kind of unnecessary noise.

Not at all sure what to do next since there is no other apparent solution to buy.

Jim G

Jim,

I took my new (in box as of this morning) CED to the range this with some heavy hitters. I set up at 12 feet and started blasting with my 50bmg, 338 Lapua, and 300 Ultra.
I tried reproducing the the errors you experienced from both sides and could not get the unit to fire from muzzle blast until I was 5 feet away (you can see particulate imbedded in the sky screens). Every shot registered and seemed to gave normal readings.
Conditions started sunny and changed to light cloud.
I used the regular screens.

I don't know what to tell you Jim?
Clearly something is wrong with your unit.

I put lead bags on the legs of my tripod and duct tape the sensors to the bar to keep movement down. It can be finicky with sunlight angle. When mine starts acting up, I change the battery. It helps, don't know if it's from the power down or the new battery. Mine seems to work better when shooting other peoples rifles through it, then messing up on mine. Just coinsidence I'm sure.
DSC_0155.jpg

my ced m2 is always giving me shit, usually more with guns that have larger muzzle blasts. I use my prodigital more because it's less hassle to setup and has a bigger shooting window.

I've been doing more thinking on this.

I need to add a lot of weight or stiffer materials to the sensors and screens assembly, I think, to severely dampen the movement of the screens. here's why:

I believe that any muzzle blast from whatever source (my rifle or another nearby rifle) is fluttering those screens, and thus creating random transient light changes at both sensors that the chrono brain cannot reconcile as coming from a fired round within the allowable 60fps to 7000 fps range, and so declares an error.

I may even need to fabricate METAL supprots for those light screens, to replace the flimsy plastic ones that are enabling the fluttering. Also, laying a piece of plastic or cardboard across the top of the entire screen assembly could stablize the screen themselves against the muzzle blast effects. I think the whole problem is too much flex in the light screen assembly. I think this is why some other people's efforts to modify the screen assembly have solved some problems they were experiencing.

I need to figure out the best way to add rigidity without making the unit too hard to assemble, disassemble, carry, and store.

Jim G

I use the IR screens and have not had a problem in years.

I bought one after all the great reviews and after reading the the alpha shooting chronny (that I currently have) were supposedly inconsistent. I followed the instructions that said to use the flashlight to make sure it worked before I left the house... No problem there. Out at the range, nothing just errors. I then got out my alpha chronny set it up right beside the M2 and got readings everytime. I figured it was a sunlight problem with the sun coming at me from the 11 to 12 o'clock position. I just couldn't find the sweet spot of sunlight that it needs to work. It's still in the box since that day. I need to give it a try again to see what the problem is. But, honestly haven't been in the mood to get frustrated at the dang thing again, when the shooting chronny gives me a reading at half the price.

Jim,

Was just out two weeks ago doing some load development. Two hours of shooting from 0900-1100. Wind was light but we had a few 15 knot gusts, and my CED had no hiccups through any of it.

My tripod setup is a medium weight Bogen/Manfrotto with a Slik ballhead. The only customization I've done to it is to tape the sensors to the rail, and shoot up the skyscreen cross-pieces.

I have fired unsuppressed .338 loads through it without a problem but one thing that has repeatedly screwed up my readings is if someone is shooting on the next bench over, their muzzle blast will cause an error every single time. I suppose it's from the blast being able to trip the start sensor but not the stop.

I think weight on the tripod and taping the sensors to the rail would be the best first step.

photobucket-26280-1330809354653.jpg

I was reading the reviews on midwayusa about this, a lot of them was bad. Have you called ced?

No, I have not bothered to call CED because in almost 50 years of shooting, I have been through this kind of crap with other products in the past, and the repsonse form the vendor is always a variant of one of the following scenarios:

1. "You are not following our directions. Re-read the instructions and our website cautions about environmental conditions"

2."Send it in and we'll take a look at it" (weeks or months go by . . . unit gets returned to me, and no difference in performance, but is accompanied by a letetr that says everyhting works fine. Plus, I pay freight at least one way and sometimes both ways.

3. "ALL products of this type (fill in type here) will react this way to the unusual environment in which you are trying to use it."

4. Manufacturer sends a replacement unit, which duplicates problems of original unit, and manufacturer states that I am an unreasonable customer when I tell them there is no difference between what Is ent in and what I got.

I'll either figure this out and fix it, or sell it to someone else who figures they know how they might fix it, or always fires alone, with a .22 rimfire or non-magnum handgun, so will experience no problems with muzzle blast.

I hate it when the designer and manufacturer sell a product that requires redeisng and re-work by the buyer. Not every buyer is capable, willing, or interested in becoming a chronograph expert. Most buyers want the damn thing to just work.

I may have to find space for an Oehler. THOSE work. EVERY time. No excuses on THEIR website.

Jim G

My son, come in to the light.

I know the BS you are going through. What's weird is that other lucky people have no problem. This indicates a QC problem, maybe? Design? Nah, can't be that?

Whatever? But, I doubt that you will have a problem with an Oehler and if you do, the customer service is very satisfying.

You know what? I don't think you are going to be satisfied until you pull the trigger. The only modifications I have ever made to my 35P is electrical tape on the cables and I'm not sure it was justified? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son, come in to the light.

I know the BS you are going through. What's weird is that other lucky people have no problem. This indicates a QC problem, maybe? Design? Nah, can't be that?

Whatever? But, I doubt that you will have a problem with an Oehler and if you do, the customer service is very satisfying.

You know what? I don't think you are going to be satisfied until you pull the trigger. The only modifications I have ever made to my 35P is electrical tape on the cables and I'm not sure it was justified? BB </div></div>

Yeah, I know. I just need a bigger RV, and a car with a much larger trunk.
smile.gif

Jim G

Dude, read my lips! You can break it down to components! Pack it in the gun case for the drive to the range.

Anyway, you need for the current problem to be dealt with, or give it back. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, I have not bothered to call CED because in almost 50 years of shooting, I have been through this kind of crap with other products in the past, and the repsonse form the vendor is always a variant of one of the following scenarios:

1. "You are not following our directions. Re-read the instructions and our website cautions about environmental conditions"

2."Send it in and we'll take a look at it" (weeks or months go by . . . unit gets returned to me, and no difference in performance, but is accompanied by a letetr that says everyhting works fine. Plus, I pay freight at least one way and sometimes both ways.

3. "ALL products of this type (fill in type here) will react this way to the unusual environment in which you are trying to use it."

4. Manufacturer sends a replacement unit, which duplicates problems of original unit, and manufacturer states that I am an unreasonable customer when I tell them there is no difference between what Is ent in and what I got.

I'll either figure this out and fix it, or sell it to someone else who figures they know how they might fix it, or always fires alone, with a .22 rimfire or non-magnum handgun, so will experience no problems with muzzle blast.

I hate it when the designer and manufacturer sell a product that requires redeisng and re-work by the buyer. Not every buyer is capable, willing, or interested in becoming a chronograph expert. Most buyers want the damn thing to just work.

I may have to find space for an Oehler. THOSE work. EVERY time. No excuses on THEIR website.

Jim G </div></div>

Jim,
I think you are premature to go off on a company publicly until you try the customer service.

My Oehler 43 went in for service about a month after I got it...Shit happens. They fixed it. Yes it took 6 weeks.

I have had several S&B and Leupold scopes go down over near 30 years of use and I still buy S&B and Leupold...Why?
Customer service.
Hell Leupold shipped a scope direct to my hunting camp! It takes months to get a S&B back from warranty repairs and 6 weeks or so for a Leupold.

I have 2 CED units and both can not be made to react like yours does...50 BMG and all.
Your unit clearly has issues and CED clearly needs to fix it.
If CED does not fix the problem then you then deserve the right to publicly throw them under the bus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Your unit clearly has issues and CED clearly needs to fix it.
If CED does not fix the problem then you then deserve the right to publicly throw them under the bus.
</div></div>

No, I acquired that "right" the moment a brand new product, set up in accordance with all the user manual instructions and website warnings about what could cause to misbehave, started to exhibit serious shortfalls in performance. This is a $200 consumer product, not a science kit. It's supposed to work when you follow the instructions, let alone take extraordinary measures to try to help it work.

I published my report only after 3 separate range sessions, and a lot of advice from range officers and other shooters about what could possibly be affecting it. A consumer product should not need this amount of troubleshooting, and I published the info so that others on the forum would not buy it and have to go through what I am having to go through. People want to shoot, not play scientist.
smile.gif

Jim G

Your tests show the $200.00 worth of hardware doesn't work right....

So what do you say to a guy with a $3500.00 scope full of water? Or the near $2,000.00 Oehler 43 system that just quits?
Do we go to war?
Perspective dude?

Its a $200.00 purchase that is defective and should be backed by warranty.
This is not the end of the world nor anything necessitating product re-engineering.

mine had an issue .. sent it in .. and bingo a new one....

Warranty works ...

X is probably right. Send it back. Odds are, the next one will work. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine seems to work better when shooting other peoples rifles through it, then messing up on mine. Just coinsidence I'm sure.
DSC_0155.jpg
</div></div>

The CED worked perfect on my gun and then immediately started giving false readings when you set up on it. Maybe there is a way to trick it into thinking it's not measuring your own rifle
wink.gif
. We backed out to 850 later that day and were getting hits based on the MV.