• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

troubles with rcbs chargemaster 1500 combo

65nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2011
beer cheese and fatties
ok, so i have the rcbs power powder dispenser and scale combo. the other night i was loading for my 260. loading 42.0 grains h4350 and 139 lapuas. was doing a batch of 15. as i inspected the cases to make sure they all had a charge in them, i noticed one looked like it had a pile of powder in it. so, i weighed the charge, came up to 48.0 grains!!! 6 full grains over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then i thought, better be safe and weigh em all. all weighed 42 grains except 1 other. which came in at 36.0 grains! 6 full grains under. I ALWAYS calibrate my scale everytime i use it. have any of you had this problem? scale is not too old and maybe has 1200 rounds of powder charges thrown. i am just kinda freaked out about the 100 308 rounds i have loaded

Re: troubles with rcbs chargemaster 1500 combo

that's odd... esp if you've been watching the results of each throw and saw the weight that the 1500 measured... I do a little QA on every ten rounds on my Chargemaster and measure the tenth round's throw on a separate scale to make sure both agree, at least to within 0.1 grain.

I've only loaded about 500-600 rounds so far, but nothing like this has happened.

Weird...of the two that were off, one was six grains over and the other was six grains under.

Sounds odd.

Hopefully it's just a one time glitch.

Chris

Mine beeps, gives the weight, then the round count, then the weight again. I always wait for the second weighing. Then like the OP, I visually check all of the cases for over/under/no charge. 6 grains over might have been exciting... You can weigh the 100 loaded shells and possibly catch any variations in charge, presuming you are using the same brass; if not, you might want to pull the bullets and start over. Good luck and be safe.

It almost sounds like you had 6 grains stuck in the funnel which then transfered over to the next case and you poured on top of that. You'd think the powder would've released an went all over the place when you transferred it, but that's the only thing I can think of. I look over when it beeps to confirm the charge prior to pourin'. I've never heard of this before.

got Prometheus......
ScottyinPrometheusHeavenjpg3.jpg

I had the same problem. My Chargemaster as weighing charges at one weight, and the beam scale was calling another.
I got some check weights to see which one was right, and sent the Chargemaster back to RCBS.
The are send me a new Chargemaster. But now, I always validate my scales with check weights.

Powder was bridging in the funnel. I've had it happen reloading for my 22-250 with varget.

i always wait for the second weight to display. that way if any powder has bridged and piled up at the end of dispensing, i will catch it on the verified 2nd read. im hoping the 100 rounds of 308 will show up and major variation. all was lapua brass and 155 scenars. same powder charge and primers. tonight i think i will pick up another scale and fiddle with the check weights. will post what i find.

I am saying the powder was stuck in the throat of the funnel and when you transferred it to the next case, it poured in with the next charge. That's why one case, the one just prior was 6 grains short and the next 6 grains more. Make sense?

That's the only thing I can think of that could've happened.

In addition to waiting for the second weight reading after the beep, I also make a point of looking at the volume in all my cases before I begin seating bullets.

I have not had this problem and always calibrate before using or if I think something might be off.

It's important to walk before you run!