• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troy 13.8 forend

Platypus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Looking to put a Troy 13.8" free float tube on a project 308 built on a DPMS/SR 25 pattern rifle. I am looking for feedback on this forend as well as a low profile gas black to go under it. How important is an adjustable gas block if it will eventually be used with a suppressor on the 16" barrel? Thank you for your insight and time.

Danel

Re: Troy 13.8 forend

It's a great rail for the money, especially since it includes the low-pro gas block. I have used both the Troy and DD rail in the .308 size. I preferred the finish of the Troy, but the DD rail has a superior bolt-up mount. The Troy is heavier and longer too.

On a .308 AR, I wouldn't be too worried about the adjustable gas block feature. While it does indeed reduce backpressure and blowback slightly, my rifles have always run fine with or without them. HTH.

Thank you for the feedback. I just sent payment for the Troy now I need to get the low profile gas block for it as this one is not coming with the gas block. I am looking forward to getting this thing together and excercising it.

DSC_0129.jpg

You will like the Troy I have a extended free float on my M-4 and its well machined, rugged and looks nice.

I have several Troy rails and like them very much for the money. I also like the fact that they make a continuous look to the rifle, like a monolithic upper that is two pieces. I don't remember what the directions say but I have found when mounting them to tighten the screws in an alternating pattern so it doesn't torque all the way down on one side and end up making the upper out of alignment with the rail. Also, I tend to put a pretty strong pull on my VFG so I find it iw very important to make sure you really tighten the screws down.

As for an adjustable gas block for suppressor use I have no first hand experience with a suppressor on an AR rifle so I can't say from experience. Noveske's "Switchblock" seems like the way to go but I don't know if he sells the switchblock as a standalone part and/or if he makes them for AR10 series or just for AR15. I have a few custom made adjustable gas blocks for future builds where suppressors are in the plans but mine are more intended for being able to shut the gas off to make it single shot for ultimate noise reduction by eliminating action noise. MGI makes an adjustable gas tube that is nice but depending on where the adjusting nut is you may have to modify your handguard to access the nut if you don't want to be disassembling yout handguards each time to adjust it. Also, not sure if they make one for AR10 series rifles. PRI's adjustable gas block is nice but would sit inside your handguard and again you will probably be looking at a modification to make it accessible without disassembly.

Bumping this up, I'm personally leaning this way now, due to price, and length.

I would like to hear more about the fitting to an AR-10 pattern rifle, and also would like to hear how this stacks up to a Daniel Defense Lite 12.0

Thanks,

-Bob

I emailed Troy and they said their rails use an Armalite style barrel nut. DPMS styles need minor modification to work. They also have a video posted on youtube showing you how. But this is on a carbine DPMS 308. Im conflicted between this rail and the PRI 15" rail. I want something to cover my gas block and give me a continuous top rail. I have only handled the rail itself and not on a rifle. Its kinda heavy, but feels very rugged. But the PRI fore arms feel great, super light and super strong. I just have not found any pictures of the 15" PRI mounted on anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bumping this up, I'm personally leaning this way now, due to price, and length.

I would like to hear more about the fitting to an AR-10 pattern rifle, and also would like to hear how this stacks up to a Daniel Defense Lite 12.0

Thanks,

-Bob</div></div>

Bob,

As I've said my previous post, I've had both and I think they're both great rails. The DD rail has the better mounting system, but the Troy rail seemed to have a better finish to it. My DD had very small chip marks on some of the rails, and the laser engravings were not as clear as the Troy. The Troy will also cover the gas block on a rifle-length gas system (leaving only a smidgen to protrude), whereas the DD will not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bumping this up, I'm personally leaning this way now, due to price, and length.

Thanks,

-Bob</div></div>

Bob,

As I've said my previous post, I've had both and I think they're both great rails. The DD rail has the better mounting system, but the Troy rail seemed to have a better finish to it. My DD had very small chip marks on some of the rails, and the laser engravings were not as clear as the Troy. The Troy will also cover the gas block on a rifle-length gas system (leaving only a smidgen to protrude), whereas the DD will not. </div></div>Probably end up having to change my gas block either way, won't I? I think the JP adjustable I have won't fit under either.

BM11,

Just a quick update here as well. Apparently DPMS and Troy are not doing a very good job of communicating with each other. I got the forened from a member here and it was new in the box. I installed it and much to my displeasure the forened is about 1/8" higher than the rail on the new factory DPMS LR-308 A3 flat top upper. I called Troy up to express my displeasure and was told they are working on it but have no idea of a time line on getting the fix in place. The difference is just enough to keep my Leopuld 3.5x10 40mm scope with MK4 rings from being mounted on the receiver as the objective bell impacts the fore end, I would like to keep the scope as close to possible to the receiver to keep from having to risers for my stock weld. Make sure with whatever receiver you are using that it matches up with the current Troy fore end. An older DPMS receiver should work as designed.

32zkefm.jpg

Here is a photo of what I am looking at with mine. I had to buy some cheap higher rings just to afford me a chance to get out and test the rest of the assembly. Hopefully I will hear something from Troy soon on resolving this issue.

Platypus-

The DPMS is a proprietary receiver height now. Kinda shitty. If you would like to sell the Troy, I would give it a try, that way you could get a DPMS correct handguard.

Luckily, my application is an Armalite.

This originally had the railed gas block and regular hand guards on a 16" barrel. I went with the Troy low profile gas block and it works and looks great. Having the rail run almost to the end of the barrel also makes it nice for mounting NV and a longer sight radius. Let us know what you end up doing wiht your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This originally had the railed gas block and regular hand guards on a 16" barrel. I went with the Troy low profile gas block and it works and looks great. Having the rail run almost to the end of the barrel also makes it nice for mounting NV and a longer sight radius. Let us know what you end up doing wiht your rifle. </div></div>Would be perfect for me, I would just need to get a low pro gas block big enough to fit my huge GAP barrel.

Bob,

The JP adjustable gas block I had fit perfectly under my DD rail. I didn't try it with the Troy, but I imagine it would fit there as well.

Now, it is a tight fit. But it did indeed fit.

DPMS lost a lot of my respect as far as the receiver standards. I've gone to the SI Defense upper. If you're looking to build a DPMS/SR-25 style AR I'd consider them. They are nice pieces of work. Incidentally I have a TROY 13.8 on order since August the say that their sources are behind production so I'm waiting. Hopefully I'll see it here in a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BM11,

Just a quick update here as well. Apparently DPMS and Troy are not doing a very good job of communicating with each other. I got the forened from a member here and it was new in the box. I installed it and much to my displeasure the forened is about 1/8" higher than the rail on the new factory DPMS LR-308 A3 flat top upper. I called Troy up to express my displeasure and was told they are working on it but have no idea of a time line on getting the fix in place. The difference is just enough to keep my Leopuld 3.5x10 40mm scope with MK4 rings from being mounted on the receiver as the objective bell impacts the fore end, I would like to keep the scope as close to possible to the receiver to keep from having to risers for my stock weld. Make sure with whatever receiver you are using that it matches up with the current Troy fore end. An older DPMS receiver should work as designed.

32zkefm.jpg

Here is a photo of what I am looking at with mine. I had to buy some cheap higher rings just to afford me a chance to get out and test the rest of the assembly. Hopefully I will hear something from Troy soon on resolving this issue. </div></div>

Looks like we should trade Troy rails, as mine is "shorter" than my upper
photo-98.jpg

Don't kill yourself on my account any more boys. I sold the rifle in question, it was going to cost me too much to keep it.

DPMS may have took the wrong turn with their new upper receiver. Doesnt make much sense. All the more reason to get an Armalite.

reviving thread

do we know what upper is flush with the troy? Im thinking about these with a MEGA or Fulton

I have seen some at SOG line up pretty good with OLD DPMS rifles. I like the Troy. It feels well made, nice crisp corners that are not too sharp to get dinged and snag. I want something to cover the gas block. So far, the only options are SWS E1 15" model, PRI, Troy, or maybe the JP. Not sure if the JP covers. I dont like the JP, just feels too thin on an AR10. The Troy is a heavy bastard though. Feels heavier than Armalites free float rail. Longer as well. But, we should definitely revive this thread. Who all makes FREE FLOAT fore arms for 308 ARs that COVER the gas block?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Platypus-

The DPMS is a proprietary receiver height now. Kinda shitty. If you would like to sell the Troy, I would give it a try, that way you could get a DPMS correct handguard.

Luckily, my application is an Armalite. </div></div>

You are only partially correct. DPMS sells two versions of the 308 upper. The one shown which is A3 height and a slickside receiver that has an extra .5" so you can utilize regular height scope rings.

FWIW, if the troy forearm I just got is any indication of there quality then my money is on the DPMS receiver being true.

I've been wanting to put a DD lite 12 on my Lr308 with the bull barrel and short gas tube. I was wanting to put a Troy lo pro gas block on it, under the rail. I haven't paid much attention to it till now but, my upper is a "high rise" upper on this 18" bull assembly. That's going to keep my top rails from matching up. I saw a DPMS four rail hand gaurd that matches the height but makes it way more noticeable. And I doubt the DPMS brand rail would be comparable fo the quality of the DD or Troy rails. Now what?

semper fi
I just had to return my TROY 13.8 rail.
Not because of TROY, They were VERY nice to me when I called them all pissed off.
My new DPMS a3 height is the problem.
I have been dealing with a sales mgr. at DPMS and all he did was ship a REPR rail to me.
He is very professional and Ill let you know how it all works out.
Guys, we can all get mad at DPMS but the reality is when these company’s get so freaking large (Freedom Group Family of Companies: Remington | Marlin | Bushmaster Firearms | DPMS / Panther Arms | H&R | Barnes Bullets | Advanced Armament Corp | Mountain Khakis | EOTAC | Dakota Arms | Parker )
They can do whatever they want and get away with it.
All we can do is give each other as much data as we can so we can make informative decisions.
The other scary thing is when the government tells these big company’s what to do the company’s will do it.
Buy your extra spring kits and extra bolts now.
If assholes keep shooting congress women, we could all be in trouble.
Remember when the hottest band in the world got into a pissing match with Ticketmaster?
Ticketmaster is still here raping young kids, and Pearl Jam is now washing dishes.
(sorry pearl jam, I still love you guys and will walk 100 miles to see you play, but as Mr. Brady once said” Greg, Marcia, peter, Jan Bobby & Cindy, You cant fight city hall……..)

It could be worse; we could all live in California…. (hehe)

Troy is now making their battle rails for both DPMS sizes. PRi is also making their SPR top length rail system for their GEN III forearms for both heights of the DPMS receivers. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guessta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Troy is now making their battle rails for both DPMS sizes. PRi is also making their SPR top length rail system for their GEN III forearms for both heights of the DPMS receivers. Just FYI. </div></div>

I wish!! I just got the so called new one and it doesn't line up. This is after I returned a rail that had the engraving upside down. The whole process took 4 months.

So wait you got the new lower height rail and it doesn't line up with the DPMS receiver?
crazy.gif
You've go to be kidding me, I just ordered the Low profile height, it hasn't shipped yet but if it doesn't line up I'd rather just not have it sent.

Okay, so I measured and I guess I have one of the 'new' shorter rail A3 upper receivers from DPMS. Is this just a DPMS-Troy issue or is any rail I buy (DD, PRI, etc.) going to have the same alignment issue? Seems like if its DPMS thats has changed the dimensions of their receivers then nothing would line up correctly. Right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So wait you got the new lower height rail and it doesn't line up with the DPMS receiver?
crazy.gif
You've go to be kidding me, I just ordered the Low profile height, it hasn't shipped yet but if it doesn't line up I'd rather just not have it sent. </div></div>

Thats my experience!!! I had the higher dpms and ordered a new A3 thinking from what Troy told me it would work, it didn't.

I just got off the phone with Troy and they said the lower height rails are not shipping yet. The original height rails are the only one out right now.

DPMS technically has three heights, the slick side high receiver, the older version original height (same as every other SR-25 patterned rifle) and their new even lower height receivers. Right now according to Troy they only have two MRF rails. One that works with the AR-10 and another one that works with the majority of SR-25 patterned receivers. The new A3 receiver height that is lower doesn't have a rail yet but should by the end of the month. At least thats what they told me
confused.gif