• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troy .308 13.8 Battle rail Opinions?

M25BeastShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Pennsylvania
I've got one of these on order and waiting....been waiting since August, but that's another story.

I need anyone's opinions on this tube, like the barrel nut I heard that it's aluminum and the attachment screws tend to crush the nut if torqued too much.

Any other issues?

Re: Troy .308 13.8 Battle rail Opinions?

I've used the 9" MRF for the 5.56. The installation is pretty much the same with the exception of the supplied barrel nut for the .308. They definitely dont want you putting too much torque on those set screws. The reason being that the rails are aluminum and the screws are steel. The steel screws will strip out the threads in the rail if you torque them too much. I really dont see them having the ability to actually crush the barrel nut.

The 9" rail I used worked quite well and is a pretty solid mount. Probably not quite as rigid as a DD rail, but still good. Use some locktite on the set screws and you should be fine.

I'm running the Viking Tactics (Troy) 13" "Extreme" rail. It's the version with fixed rail only on the top surface, and slots for attachment of rail sections elsewhere as desired.

The installation system is beautifully engineered. The two threaded holes for the clamp screws have heli-coils to make them durable, but I'm sure some ham-fisted fellow could pull those inserts out if they tried hard enough. I think that's the main reason they caution you regards excessive torque on those screws.

Cheers... Jim

They are a fine rail for an assault/battle rifle, but if you want one for a precision rig shooting off a bipod, they have a lot of flex in the interface where the top and bottom parts slide together.

A more solid, one piece rail system is a better choice for bipod use.