• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troy extream tact forearm. problem

kstraughen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2009
Florida, USA
Ok i am not sure if this should be posted in this forum or gunsmiting. I reciently bought a 13.5 inch troy extream tactical forearm. It looks nice but it seems to be off. It will sit flush aginst the reciever and barrel nut but when i look down through the rings i can see it is canted to the left. If i look at the rifle from a birds eye view i can see a slight difference favoring the left side close to the muzzle. I am pretty sure the barrel nut is threaded on properly i am semi mechanically inclined. I have removed and replaced with the same results. does anyone have any other suggestions besides calling troy and seeing what they can do??

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

Kirk

Re: Troy extream tact forearm. problem

Hi Ive got two of the troy extreme 13.8 handguards the one thats on my 6.8 has a little tab that hits flush along side the upper thus stopping it from rotating,,,,the one i just got for my 308 has no tab to stop it at the upper.... when you install this handguard you push it on the barrel nut bout 5 degrees off then rotate to flush with the top rail then you tighten the two lil bolts at the bottom,,,,troy had a bad run of these bout 3 months ago that wouldnt tighten up though
regards wash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Ive got two of the troy extreme 13.8 handguards the one thats on my 6.8 has a little tab that hits flush along side the upper thus stopping it from rotating,,,,the one i just got for my 308 has no tab to stop it at the upper.... when you install this handguard you push it on the barrel nut bout 5 degrees off then rotate to flush with the top rail then you tighten the two lil bolts at the bottom,,,,troy had a bad run of these bout 3 months ago that wouldnt tighten up though
regards wash </div></div>

The tab does not have to sit against the upper receiver nor was it designed to do so. A quick way to get good alignment is to use a carry handle to bridge the gap between the upper receiver and handguard before tightening the fasteners on the handguard.

Your upper could be a little bit out of spec, maybe the face isn't true or the threads aren't quite right. It could also be that the forearm is out of spec. Try it on another upper, send it back to troy or just learn to live with it.