• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck Gun Help

BlackWhiskey

USMC
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
Salt Lake County, Utah
I am in the market for a truck gun with a few specifications:

- Bolt action
- Preferably magazine fed
- 308-223
- 20" barrel
- Package without glass around $800

I would like this rifle to be able to reach out to 800 yds and still maintain a bit of kinetic energy, but that sort of rules out the 223, so I am still open to options. Durability is also an obvious factor for consideration in this set up as it will be a working type gun subject to field abuse.

Configurations I have been considering:

- Howa 1500 308 20" fluted with B&C monte carlo type stock
- Ruger Gunsite
- Mossberg MVP

I am open to other suggestions as well, but please help me stay in the ballpark of price and specs.

Thanks,

Cory

Re: Truck Gun Help

For a truck gun I would go with a Savage of whatever flavor floated my boat. When I think truck gun, I think of a relatively cheap to replace beater, that is capable of handling basic farm duty of shooting coyotes or putting stock down when needed. I don't think of shooting 800 yards with precision.

It is sad to say, but if it lives in a truck, as a true truck gun should, it will very likely grow legs and leave at some point, so cheap is good.

I have thought about Savage, but I think I get quite a bit more bang for my buck with the Howa. Also, I have had rifles which were used and nearly abused but were still very capable of hitting 800 consistently.

My vote will be the Winchester 70 lightweight compact, in .308. Have your choice of irons fitted. Should come in right about $800.00 if you are careful.

You will have access to the wonderful world of mod. 70 aftermarket. Nowhere near the 700 aftermarket, but better than the ruger 77.

It's a six pound gun, with a 20" bbl.

Tikka T3 light, with the extra money buy an extended 6 round mag. 308 1:11 twist bout 6.5 lbs and stainless.

Both the Howa and the Ruger Gunsite are rifles I've owned and liked. Both should work well.

I'd recommend that you consider other calibers like 260 Remington, or even go long action and chamber it in one of the .30-06 family of cartridges. These will get out to 800 yards faster and flatter than the .308 Win. And you don't need an ungodly long barrel to get this done.

I have an old Mauser chambered in .30-06 that is lightweight, easy to carry and manipulate in and out of a truck and speaks with authority. A lot of fun in a small package.

I haven't thought about going with a 30-06. That is an interesting choice for sure.

I think I am more concerned with this rifle being shorter than lighter. I don't mind humping around a heavy rifle, but I do like them to be short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dark horse . . .

CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39</div></div>

That is indeed a small and handy rifle. But good to 800 yards like the OP asked? Not so much.

The Ruger Hawkeye standard in .30-06 is very light and handy. Plenty of reach for the 800yds and not expensive. Any decent 3-9 and you are gtg. Comes with rings, so less expense. I bought one at Christmas last and it is too light to shoot much off the bench but perfect for carry. AG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dark horse . . .

That is indeed a small and handy rifle. But good to 800 yards like the OP asked? Not so much. </div></div>

I bet it's more accurate than a Ruger Gunsite . . .

Cor-Bon 150g JSP

Cor-Bon 123g DPX

Cor-Bon 125g JHP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dark horse . . .

That is indeed a small and handy rifle. But good to 800 yards like the OP asked? Not so much. </div></div>

I bet it's more accurate than a Ruger Gunsite . . .
</div></div>

This is why the Winchester lightweight, or the Howa 1500. Fit the iron sights if you want them, and DBMs are available. With the howa, you could get the DBM, and still be at about $800. I think both would be more accurate than the gunsite at eight hundred.

I never had an accuracy problem with the Ruger Gunsite. I never looked at it as a precision rifle, just a plinking gun. A lot of fun to shoot, easy to have in a truck. But a tack driver? No, not a chance. But iss that really the OP's idea for a truck gun? Must be a tack driver? I don't think so.