• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck gun optic

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
I'm in the market for a new optic for my 3 gun/patrol/truck gun/ heavy shooter/ hunting gun

It's a stainless mid length 16" barrel..pretty much what everyone would consider a recce build...it's a very accurate rifle..

I shoot this gun at a lot of different ranges from 3 yards all the way out to 700 but nothing in particular..

I've narrowed it down to these 2 optics

1)Vortex razor 1-6 with the JM-1
2) vortex 2.5-10x32 mil/mil

What do y'all think..I'll likely need a 45degree dot or irons with option 2

Bench

I think your first choice is solid one. I like the Razor 1-6 very much, and I think it's in all probability the most useful 1-6 for an AR15 being made today. That said, and in-spite of who designed it, and those that use it, I think the JM-1 reticle is near useless. If your 3 gunning only its a fine choice. For general use either the MOA or Mil version is a tad more useful and user friendly. IMHO and YMMV.

I think your first choice is solid one. I like the Razor 1-6 very much, and I think it's in all probability the most useful 1-6 for an AR15 being made today. That said, and in-spite of who designed it, and those that use it, I think the JM-1 reticle is near useless. If your 3 gunning only its a fine choice. For general use either the MOA or Mil version is a tad more useful and user friendly. IMHO and YMMV.

To me anything under 10x and I'm not ranging with the reticle anyways..my eyes aren't good enough these days..so I'd rather have the BDC on low magnification

Bench

Just for clarification..I'm not trying to shoot little tight groups with this gun..this gun has it's ass beat often..shoots steel plates and hogs..and I don't even pull the trigger on a hog with it over 150yards(on any 556)

To me anything under 10x and I'm not ranging with the reticle anyways..my eyes aren't good enough these days..so I'd rather have the BDC on low magnification

Bench

There are more uses for both the Mil and the MOA reticles offered by Vortex than just ranging stuff. How about for wind holds?? The JM-1 reticle doesn't have any wind hold reference marks. It design and purpose is for speed at 3 gun distances. For hunting and general purpose the use of wind reference marks can be very useful, even if your not ranging stuff, ever.

Hey it's your choice, buy what you like.

I would go with a aimpoint T1 for most of what you are doing. pretty easy to shoot out to 400 yds with that. so unless you do a lot of shooting at 6-700 yds with a 223/556, there is really no need. if you have to have the mag, the vortex is the way to go. i run it on my 3 gun rifle and its great. big eye box and daylight vis red dot. but i still thing the T1 is faster at anything close. plus its much lighter and the gun swings quick. plus you can leave the red dot on and its good for around 5 years. I have a T1 on my work gun out here in Afghanistan and its great. my truck gun back home will wear a T1. i might even run some 3 guns stuff with it, as you can run the "irons" class with one.

as far as offset irons, don't bother. they are not fast enough and the optics are so good these days they are really not necessary. most of the guys don't have that stuff out here, well they may have it on the gun, but they aren't functional. enjoy

Vcog no need for red dot irons or mount. It's all included. ��

ya, i would stay away from a fixed 4x setup like the vcog. not fast enough for what you are asking about. its slow at best at close range. not good at all for "CQB" type work. i wouldn't want it for fast moving hunting, like hogs. i guess its good for medium range if you like to be slow

The VCOG is a 1-6x optic built to be beat up like the ACOG which is fixed 4x

sorry, you are correct. i read it quick and my mind said ACOG

still for the money, the vortex is hard to beat. can be had new for about $1200

Bench for what you want get the Razor 1-6x. Been using one for about a year and a half in 3 gun and it works great on an AR. Not just for 3 gun but for any quick shots. The JM-1 reticle is fast and easy to use.

i just wonder why every one chooses vortex?
When you try one, you'll know the answer. It is THE best 1-6x under $2k. For me, FFP need not apply in this mag range. I will likely be selling my Mark 6 to fund another Razor II, and the Mark 6 is a fine optic. The Vortex is simply a better image and simpler to use for my purposes.

I'm in the market for a new optic for my 3 gun/patrol/truck gun/ heavy shooter/ hunting gun

It's a stainless mid length 16" barrel..pretty much what everyone would consider a recce build...it's a very accurate rifle..

I shoot this gun at a lot of different ranges from 3 yards all the way out to 700 but nothing in particular..

I've narrowed it down to these 2 optics

1)Vortex razor 1-6 with the JM-1
2) vortex 2.5-10x32 mil/mil

What do y'all think..I'll likely need a 45degree dot or irons with option 2

Bench

Get the Vortex 1-6x. It's definitely the best value in a fully featured low power variable right now. Daytime illuminated dot is great for close stuff on 1x and the glass is clear enough on 6x to get you on reasonable sized targets out to 600-700yds. Agree totally with the post describing the futility of 45 degree irons.

I assume "truck gun" implies that it'll ride in your truck and might get knocked around? If so, the Vortex 1-6x will fit the bill. Very robust construction.

Options are good, and more options are better. In that spirit, I'd say give a good look to the USO 1-8 or 1.8-10. I have the 1-8 on my AR battle rifle, and the 1.8-10 on my Gradous truck gun, and I really like them both. Of the entire USO line, those two models are my favorites. I'm not discounting the Vortex scopes at all, just bringing up a couple more options in your price range. You can't go wrong with any of these scopes.

1.5x24 ACOG (TA45). Low enough magnification for close work, self illuminating, and solid. I have one with the red crosshairs, and it's the bee's knees... :)

I have a Bushnell AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm scope and love it. The turrets are audible and just as accurate up & down as my Vortex PST FFP MOA 6-24 scope. I also got Custom Turret Labels for it so I don't have to count clicks. I range with my laser rangefinder then turn the turret to the distance and shoot.

bushnell tactical scopes for Sale | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

Attachments

• custom turrets 1 .jpg
    custom turrets 1 .jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 21
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1%22RINGS 1 .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT 1%22RINGS 1 .JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Options are good, and more options are better. In that spirit, I'd say give a good look to the USO 1-8 or 1.8-10. I have the 1-8 on my AR battle rifle, and the 1.8-10 on my Gradous truck gun, and I really like them both. Of the entire USO line, those two models are my favorites. I'm not discounting the Vortex scopes at all, just bringing up a couple more options in your price range. You can't go wrong with any of these scopes.

both of the optics you listed are over $1000 more than the most expensive optic i listed...so no..no where near my price range lol

and im not a huge fan of the USO line..i used to use them..but ive grown away from them

bench

If you beat the crap out of it, hard to beat the vortex warranty benefits. Had a buddy drop his match rifle on the garage floor and jack up his windage turret. Vortex actually overnighted him a loaner Razor HD 5-20x so he could send his in for repair so he could shoot a match two days later. Because of that one event I say it is hard to beat their bang for the buck. Not sure about the JM verion vs the other MRAD reticle on the 1-6x but a great choice. Hell, for that matter even a 1-4 pst vortex isn't a bad choice for the price.

I have two of the vortex 2.5-10x32. They are great scopes. I have shot out to 690 on my 14.5 inch POF .308. I used nothing but the reticle and it proved to be dead on. The other one is on what I consider to be my 5.56 spr. It's an Ambush 5.56 with an 18 inch bbl. I have the gun zeroed at 200 and have not shot it at distance but I'm sure that it will be the same results. Hope this helps.