• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Truck gun optics? Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

sab9259

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
NC
Has anyone had any experience with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44? Looking for a small handy optic for a truck gun without breaking the bank. Let me tknow what y'all think

Re: Truck gun optics? Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

I don't have any personal experience with that exact scope but I have other vortex glass and I don't think you can go wrong with the Viper PST.

It's small, light, and full featured for the price. Optical clarity at 10x is not as good as some other scopes in that price range, though at less than 10x it's fine. The illumination works very well.

Kind of depends on what you do from your truck lol and how far your needing to shoot with it... Haven't shot a 2.5-10 but I shot a friends Vortex 1-4 PST and liked it enough that I got one. Now I've got a 1-4 PST on an AR that bounces around in the back of the truck that works great for what I need.

What exactly do you shoot out of your truck? Is shooting from the road or a truck legal? Are you a poacher? Tresspasser? How do you know the background behind what you are shooting at? The guys that need "truck guns" where I live get them wrapped around thier heads when I find them. I think you should re consider your intended use. I say this due to having far too many bullets come far too close to me to care for that. Shooting from a truck is bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly do you shoot out of your truck? Is shooting from the road or a truck legal? Are you a poacher? Tresspasser? How do you know the background behind what you are shooting at? The guys that need "truck guns" where I live get them wrapped around thier heads when I find them. I think you should re consider your intended use. I say this due to having far too many bullets come far too close to me to care for that. Shooting from a truck is bullshit. </div></div>

Are you kidding me? Why do you have such a problem with this? Keep your thoughts to yourself and your shit off this mans thread. Try and wrap my gun around my head and you'll get a fight mr! Around here most everyone has a "truck" gun and its not for poaching. Its for riding around on our 4000 acre deer lease and shooting varmints and critters. There have been a many folk shoot a deer on the way to the stand, we have our "truck" gun sitting in the passenger side when leaving camp going to the stand for the just in case moment.

Don't lump a guy that has a "truck" gun into the same category as a thieving ass poacher and the sorts

BTW shooting from your vehicle on a private road is not illegal.

Sorry for the Rant

BTW I think it would be an excellent optic for that use, although the magnification range is perfect the 44m obj is pretty big.

I personally have always liked a small red dot though. Looks kind funny on a rifle but think about it, most of your shot will be 100yds and in... so a cheap vortex sparc or aimpoint will take alot of abuse well, be lighter and serve you well in those shorter distances

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly do you shoot out of your truck? Is shooting from the road or a truck legal? Are you a poacher? Tres<span style="text-decoration: line-through">s</span>passer? How do you know the background behind what you are shooting at? The guys that need "truck guns" where I live get them wrapped around thier heads when I find them. I think you should re consider your intended use. I say this due to having far too many bullets come far too close to me to care for that. Shooting from a truck is bullshit. </div></div>

I'm not exactly why your being shot at so much in Kansas, but it could have to do with your lack of sense and your "wrapping guns around their head when you find them" attitude. Some of us work (or used to) on 1300+ acre properties with hog problems, coyote problems etc. Some people manage a range. Some of us keep a rifle in our trucks for work. Some people have them because we can. Shooting from a road is illegal, shooting across a public road is illegal, but there is this space in between called "private property" and shouldn't matter the reason if it's legal.

You sound like a cop who is too high on his thrown to respect peoples rights who thinks people shouldn't be allowed to have them in our vehicle. Shooting from a truck is bullshit? I'm guessing you've never seen what comes out of a hummer, or been on an African safari hunt, or volunteered with some wheelchair bound kids on their first deer hunt. My 86 yo grandpa hunts from a his parked truck because he can't climb a stand anymore.

Don't throw people with guns in their vehicles in the same group as poachers, criminals, trespassers and bank robbers. In case you haven't figured it out yet, having a gun in the truck is part of life. Snakes, hogs, coyotes, deer, varmints, squirrels, and illegally placed game cams on my property. Maybe you could shoot back if you had a gun in YOUR truck.

Any questions?

I have a vortex 2.5-10 PST for my coyote Grendel and its perfect for bouncing around in the truck on a sunday afternoon.
Can't go wrong with it.

Im far from a poacher or tresspasser..we tend around 3k acres and we are over run with coyotes. I dont plan on shooting "out the window". I just want a handy rifle for quick shots on coyotes and other varmits that we are infested with.

I appreciate all the helpful comments. I will be using this optic/rifle from 0-500 yards. I think im going to go with the 2.5-10

I ran mine out to 905 yards last weekend.
Didn't have a problem,plus the 2.5x is perfect for those close running shots on a yote.

Haha this one got interesting. 99 percent of people who call it a truck gun mean a handy gun they keep in their truck in case something pops up that they would need a rifle for. Usually that would involve someone who lives on or works a large price of property. It does not mean a gun to ride around and shoot out of the truck window like a kid with a cap gun or an old comedy western movie. I have shot at or killed a lot of coyotes and hogs while sitting in my truck which is allowed on private property. Of course I know what is beyond my intended target as would most members of this site.

Most of the time it's better to come to a sliding stop, Duke boys style and exit the vehicle before opening fire on such scourge of the earth
laugh.gif

I want to see pics of guns you've wrapped around people's heads though so carry your camera next time. That would be great

i would prefer capped or locking turrets for a truck gun but maybe that's just me.

Lol,where I am from in idaho we must just have too much of nothing around us.
My truck is a mobile bench for shooting ground squirrels.
Rolling my window up and down adjusts elevation lol
A farmer out here will give you a box of 22 shells and buy you lunch if you go buzz out in his field for a day of shooting.
Guess its all where or how you grow up.
Also love the dukes of hazard sliding stop to an off the hood move!
Shoot on!

Dang good point'my M223 scope burned me more then once with the turrets moving.
Haven't had that problem with the Vortex.
My 3 Gun scope has capped turrets just for that reason.

Shoot out the window all you want..this is America and you are on your own fucking land! To hell with all of those presumptuous assholes who tell you any different. In fact while your doing it, yell GOD BLESS AMERICA! Just dont do it if your neighbors are watching. Might make em nervous. By the way I would snag a used mark 4 off the forum. Would work really good for your needs. Nice and light and rugged.

Well guys..i went with the vortex viper pst 2.5-10. Maybe it wont end up wrapped around my head.

Thanks guys

Look at the new 2.5-10x32 also. Might be handier. Some people have a "trunk gun" or "truck gun" for two legged critters if the SHTF. One of those some people has a Vortex PST 1-4 on it.

Take a look at Leupold's. 2-8x32. VX3. A great scope in a small package. I started with one on a truck .223. Now all of my hunting rigs wear one -in S/K mounts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finefire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Leupold's. 2-8x32. VX3. A great scope in a small package. I started with one on a truck .223. Now all of my hunting rigs wear one -in S/K mounts. </div></div>

My absolute favorite scope for a hunting rig.

I have 4 of them. They bumped the 56mm German scopes right off my other guns. Every one of my hunting partners has at least one. Do we need to mention we here they are made... Or the spectacular warranty if you,say, fall on one and break the ocular??

Night permit in summer for deer over crops = truck gun. That's just one more example of the many different variations of a "truck gun".

For a trk gun, try an old Leupold VariX-II 3x9. They hold zero well. A little patience and you can pick one up for $150 used in decent cosmetic condition with ring marks. When my old Ruger 223 and it falls to floor in trk I don't worry. When it rides on the dash for a month, I don't worry. Sometimes the action gets a little gritty, but whatever lubricant is in the trk keeps it going. And LOTS of coyotes and those black birds that bother newborn calves have paid the price with that combo. Keep it cheap, simple and short on a truck gun.

The topic deserves a quick parsing the the various utility classes of vehicle borne weaponry. Sticking to the civilian, and much simplified, genre with which I have experience... in no particular order:

Truck Gun: Sako Forester .243 with Khales 3-9x40 duplex.
This is the rifle carried when I'm on a friends horse farm in central GA, a soy bean farm in south central AL, and a tree farm in central AL. It is somewhat typical of a truck gun in that it is what most classify as a deer rifle. But has also taken many yotes and numerous whistle pigs. It is in the truck as the opportunity, or need, to take one of the aforementioned quadrupedal inhabitants happens when I am not on a quest to do so. Which is usually how it works. I have never fired it from inside the truck, but the hood has made a wonderful rest on many occasions. It does everything I need, but the duplex reticle is found wanting for shots beyond 200 yards, especially with the whistle pigs, and my aging eyes. The Vortex mentioned by the OP would be much preferable, especially in low light situations. This gun will be replaced by a 700 AAC-SD with a NF F1 as soon as the smith is finished gussying it up with a fancy stock and what-not. I had considered the Vortex, which by all accounts is quite nice, but somehow I keep getting the wife to agree to expensive gun stuff.

Deer count: An ass load
Yote count: Don't keep count... maybe 50 in the last 25 or so years.
Whistle Pig count: No idea, but less than the yote count
Total head wrappage: 0

Tractor Gun: 700 Mountain rifle 7mm-08, A1-3, VX3 3.5-10x40
Yotes have a peculiarity about them whereby it is not uncommon to see them at the edge of a field observing me while I am perched atop a tractor. Even though I am in plain view the fear factor is greatly diminished. And the ranges thus incurred tend to be rather point blank. I cannot dismount and expect them to remain where they are so I may enjoy a shot. While seated just so, the twisting of the upper torso to gain a shot may test the flexibility of the spinal column, and may make breathing difficult if the torsional strain is greatly exaggerated. This a wonderful scope. The duplex reticle suits my needs, but I will also likely carry the above AAC-SD in place of it.

Coyote count: 100+

Nissan Maxima Gun: Novak FBI SA 1911
This is intended for the bipedal threat. Of which, the sprawling metropolis just north of me is full of. I left the metropolis of mammon a few years ago for the safety of far flung suburbs as I did not enjoy the idea of once again being the lead story on the local Fox affiliate after an encounter with one of my fellow habitues. This gun has no optics, just some tritium Novak's. I like them very much. The only situation in which they were not optimal is when the sun is overhead somewhere around 6 o'clock. At this point the front sight becomes a large blinding green ball of retina singing fire. I think maybe the combo fiber optic/tritium would be a better choice.

Body count: 0
Ass kickings in lieu of racking up a body count: 3

I would love to hear about more types of vehicle guns. 4-wheelers, marine craft, airborne weaponry... I would also like to hear of any accounts of head wrappage so that I may assess its likely eventuality and how to best prepare for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What exactly do you shoot out of your truck? Is shooting from the road or a truck legal? Are you a poacher? Tresspasser? How do you know the background behind what you are shooting at? The guys that need "truck guns" where I live get them wrapped around thier heads when I find them. I think you should re consider your intended use. I say this due to having far too many bullets come far too close to me to care for that. Shooting from a truck is bullshit. </div></div>

Hhahhah, thanks for the laugh. This is like saying you don't "Need" a second amendment.

To the OP. my "truck gun" is a 16" barreled AR with a 2.5x10x40 Leupold vx-iii with M1 knobs on it. Looks like a low profile mark 4, love it. I need to add one of those folding stock gizmos so it can become my "motorcycle gun" this summer.

I wonder that tough guy will say about a "motorcycle gun" hahah

Yeah, I just put that scope on a rifle yesterday actually.

Great scope for the money. I paid 581 shipped

Positive clicks, nice illumination, zero stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finefire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 4 of them. They bumped the 56mm German scopes right off my other guns. Every one of my hunting partners has at least one. Do we need to mention we here they are made... Or the spectacular warranty if you,say, fall on one and break the ocular?? </div></div>

They are made in the Philippines as marked on the scope. Vortex is a USA company much like Bushnell, Simmons, Weaver, etc., and like them outsources actual production of the scopes.

I believe he was referring to the VX3 2.5-8 made in Beaverton, OR.

wow, that dude with the badger up his crack about poaching... wonder what he'd do if he was on a roadtrip out in BFE Alaska with the nearest 911 responder over 2 hours away....

Eh, guess thats how stupid gets flushed out of the gene pool.

My truck Gun doesn't have a scope yet, but here's the one for which I am saving up-

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

this'll certainly let me reach out further than my 3-leaf express sight does.

Where in AK isn't BFE, except Los Anchorage where a truck gun is probably more important :)

I keep a buttplug in my truck, call it my truck plug, do I need to justify it? Or will you wrap it around your head?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackfoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in AK isn't BFE, except Los Anchorage where a truck gun is probably more important :) </div></div>

good point, especially considering the crack den across the street from my house!