• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes True Return to Zero mounts

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Who here has actual results of return to absolute zero on a precision rifle/optic?
    Price isn't too big of a deal because I want something dependable.

I have a D-760 that I want to be able to swap out between the two and I will most likely be buying the RAD mount from TNVC lthat has a Larue QD mount for it.
    One guy at our range claims his LaRue mount will always be with a click swapping between 2 rifles. But I want to hear it from other guys, wasn't sure about his claims.

I just want this mount for swapping 2 optics on ONE gun.

I probably will go with a 34MM and its for a 20" GAP 6.5 CM

Scope on this rifle now is a G2DMR and I want no excuses. I want to be able to swap out and hit first shot as I would with my Badger solid mounts.

Will a torque wrench do the job good enough?

I will have my 760 zerod with a suppressor and the day scope be zerod non suppressed but knowing my POI difference.

Thanks guys! Maybe yall can help me decide. Right now I know of Alamo 4, GDI, ARMS, Larue, Lupy, Spur,etc....

Who here has actual results of return to absolute zero on a precision rifle/optic?
    Price isn't too big of a deal because I want something dependable.

I have a D-760 that I want to be able to swap out between the two and I will most likely be buying the RAD mount from TNVC lthat has a Larue QD mount for it.
    One guy at our range claims his LaRue mount will always be with a click swapping between 2 rifles. But I want to hear it from other guys, wasn't sure about his claims.

I just want this mount for swapping 2 optics on ONE gun.

I probably will go with a 34MM and its for a 20" GAP 6.5 CM

Scope on this rifle now is a G2DMR and I want no excuses. I want to be able to swap out and hit first shot as I would with my Badger solid mounts.

Will a torque wrench do the job good enough?

I will have my 760 zerod with a suppressor and the day scope be zerod non suppressed but knowing my POI difference.

Thanks guys! Maybe yall can help me decide. Right now I know of Alamo 4, GDI, ARMS, Larue, Lupy, Spur,etc....
    I have had very repeatable results with the Near Alpha mounts.

I have used LaRue with great results. I take it on and off multiple times at home and it always goes right back to the same spot when I'm back at the range. When my PR gets in it will be going between my 700 and my tOBR. People here have a problem with LaRue but they are top notch IMO.

I'm sure there was a test conducted on here, by a hide member of a number of well known mounts and their ability to RTZ, with groups etc to document it. However searching hasn't been able to find it. From memory it was a good demo of which ones actually did RTZ and those that didn't.

JJ

We have several Bobro Gen 2 mounts and have been pleased with their performance.

At one time I used Larue until I noticed the mounts would slide slightly in between lugs. I just use ADM now with no issues. Push the scope/mount forward, lock the levers, done. Returns to zero perfectly. You can go with the GDI but I doubt they do anything better then ADM. If you don't mind loosening a few screws, check out Aadland.

Badger 34mm Steel Rings on Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 returned to 100 yard Zero, dead nuts every time, while swapping between rifles.

Also, my GDI QD Mount with Aimpoint T1 does this every time, also while swapping rifles, without any shift.

I switched from Larue to Bobro due to Larue mounts not returning to zero in a couple specific cases.

The Bobro mounts have been perfect, and the mount/dismount quicker and easier too.

I have experiance with Larue, ADM, and Bobro. I removed, and remounted each 10 times, and shot between each. The more reliable was Bobro, followed by ADM, followed by Larue.

Thoughts from a FNG...i also needed a mounts for swapping optics on the SPR. The ADM has worked great with my ACOG so Santa got me one for the MK6. Great mounts without the inflated price of the usual suspects.
    Probably the biggest factor is how the ADM locks by applying even pressure to the side of the rail vs LaRue's little disks that cut into the rail and mar the shit out of it. YMMV.

Last edited:
    Thanks guys. weather had my Badger testing on hold but really thinking of the GDI. I'm still open to other brands but I want PERFECT!!! If I cant get that I will look farther in to different NV methods, just really not wanting to go clip on for this rifle. And not wanting a dedicated rifle or upper. If that's what it takes to get perfect results them maybe.

Thanks guys! Hope someone has a GDI range report

Badger 34mm Steel Rings on Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 returned to 100 yard Zero, dead nuts every time, while swapping between rifles.

I also had an absolute perfect return to zero with the Badger Rings. I used a Wheeler Engineering Scope Mounting kit for the torquing.

As for Larue, I was disappointed. I purchased a QD mount for my ACOG that went on my HK MR556A1. The groups grew substantially when I used the Larue mount. They returned to normal when I used the stock mount. I returned it to Larue, they told me it returned to zero and sent it back to me. They did not even listen to my concerns and said they only tested it for return to zero. It did not return to zero either. So I sold it on Ebay at a slight loss. I thought to be mean I would return the free hat they gave me but felt that would be disrespectful. I wear a BCM hat now instead. So please understand my picture to the left is no longer completely accurate.

Oh, ok. I understand now. I thought he needed a mount for the NV scope itself. Well, in that case, I am a proponent of the Near Alpha myself. I have 3 of them, and they work great. Best mount I have used, and unless the application calls for separate rings, I don't see a need to go with anything but the Alpha.

I'm sure there was a test conducted on here, by a hide member of a number of well known mounts and their ability to RTZ, with groups etc to document it. However searching hasn't been able to find it. From memory it was a good demo of which ones actually did RTZ and those that didn't.

JJ

Ya LowLight did it....and had to delete the thread due to Mark Larue losing his shit with threats if I remember correctly.

Most quality rings or mounts will get you real close if not on sometimes but anyone saying that this brand will return to zero perfectly all the times on any rifle is blowing smoke up your ass. Buy quality and check zero before shooting for any precision after swapping or reattaching a scope. Trust but verify.

Thanks guys, believe me, I will test before I will need to depend on it in the field. I am looking into the Near alpha. I am also going to test my badger rings with the Borka tourqe wrench I'm getting. That might be just fine. I figured I need one anyway so might as well test it out before I spend the coin on the GDI.

For those wil bad luck for the LaRue, From what I'm seeing availible for my NV scope LaRue is the only people making mounts for them. My shooting will be closer range with the NV-600 and in so if its 1/2MOA off or so here It wont be a majot deal. And alot of shots will be in the 200 and in range. But I still want the absolute best there is to offer.

Again, thanks! Merry Christmas

Most quality rings or mounts will get you real close if not on sometimes but anyone saying that this brand will return to zero perfectly all the times on any rifle is blowing smoke up your ass. Buy quality and check zero before shooting for any precision after swapping or reattaching a scope. Trust but verify.

QFT

I had a LaRue base for an AR, never warmed up to it. The rifle shot better with a set of Burris xtreme rings, and the scope is now on a different rifle, and it holds zero perfectly..... now

But hey, maybe I didn't have it tight enough....

I just recently swapped my Leupold Mk 6 1-6 scope in a Larue LT 120 mount from My MR 762 to my POF 415 and the return to zero wasn't close. Is it possible the POF 415 rail which looks different than the usual picatinny rail caused the difference?

I just recently swapped my Leupold Mk 6 1-6 scope in a Larue LT 120 mount from My MR 762 to my POF 415 and the return to zero wasn't close. Is it possible the POF 415 rail which looks different than the usual picatinny rail caused the difference?

Put it back on the MR762 and I bet it's close to zero. Putting it on a completely different gun and expecting it to be zero'd to that barrel, well I don't think anyone can make that guarantee. ;)

Bobro is the easiest of the QD systems, in my opinion. Never been a fan of the ADM lever system, just seems like it wiggles itself loose. I've also read a lot of people complain about the Larue stuff scarring their rails, which makes sense when you see how they actually work. As for what mount gives a nice true return to zero, if you are talking about red dot on a carbine at 100 yards, I think they probably all work well enough. On the other hand, if you're talking about a finely tuned precision bolt gun, with a Schmidt Bender 5-25x scope, at 1000 yards, I would think that QD is just a no no, any way you cut it. So, in that sense, I suppose it's all about your expectation..

Wonder how the Spuhr QD will do.

I had a Larue QD mount that returned to zero perfectly on my 2MOA AR15 shooting 4MOA bulk ammo. :p

I have 2 ADM mounts. One is a 20 MOA that I switch between ARs and one is a parallel mount that I switch between bolt guns that already have 20 MOA rails. Between rifles both mounts are close enough to keep you on paper. Maybe 1.5 mils to bring back to zero. I rarely take them off and put them back on the same rifle but from memory they were very close. Probably less than 1/2 mil.

The Spuhr QD is definitely one to keep an eye out for. Not many out there so it's too early to call for sure, but worth looking at.

Another new one is the Kinetic Development Group Sidelock mounts, which offer the most versatility (as far as fit goes) I've ever seen from an optics mount, but again, too early to call at this point. I think a couple users here may have one though if they're willing to chime in. I plan to get one as soon as I can get a scope for it.

I have experience with ADMs and they work great. I did a VERY crude RTZ test and it seemed to do just fine. I don't know about RTZ for precision use though, never tried.

Last edited:
    I must be the cheap ass here. O use tps steel rings and I have a newton meeter thandle torque wrench. Been happy with the setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pretty happy with Spuhr QDP. Also shot it, worked as collimator test suggested.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eWy87qPkwn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As others have said bobro is quite good, I am going to try one of the arc m10 qd l mounts as those seem pretty nice too.

Bobro dual lever, 20 moa, 30mm has been great between two rifles. I make sure to pull forward with the same method everytime and RTZ has been excellent.

Has anyone tested the return to zero on the Nightforce unimount? I might swap my geissele mount for it since this one seems too high.

Currently, I have LaRue, Bobro and Alamo 4 star (now ZROdelta). All have performed well but I prefer the Alamo four star. The Bobro performed the best on testing but the 34mm mount is a fat pig.

You've probably seen this, but info here on a test done on these mounts:

[video]http://cockedandlockedguns.com/top-rated-scope-mounts-adm-and-bobro/[/video]
    Did they confuse mil with moa?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I know it's an old thread, but I've had very good luck with Larue QD mounts. I switch regularly between a Aimpoint T-2 and NF NXS on my AR's. Both have Larue QD mounts and both always return to zero

Bobro and GDI are what I find bring me back to zero well.

I do not like Larue or ADM for precision stuff.

I know it's an old thread, but I've had very good luck with Larue QD mounts. I switch regularly between a Aimpoint T-2 and NF NXS on my AR's. Both have Larue QD mounts and both always return to zero

Bad advice. Larues suck for Precison rifle rtz. Fine for a red dot.

GDI or Bobro is where it's at.

Reactions: Bob2650