• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing trueing a rem700. how far do you need to go?

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I was talking to a fella tonight on the phone that seemed pretty knowledgeable about custom rifles and shooting. We were talking about blue printing a rem 700 action, when he stated he doesnt even mess with doing it anymore. He is claiming that it doesnt do anything for accuracy. he said the barrel and chamber is were the accuracy comes from. He also said if you feel you need you action trued you dont need to sleeve the bolt. So my question is, does a rem 700 action really need truing? And if so how far do you go? I am going to do one more build this year. it will be a 6br for prairie dog-n and f-class shooting. I have the rem action. I thought this man was interesting but is he full of his own opinions? Lee

Re: trueing a rem700. how far do you need to go?

it all depends on the degree of precision you are looking for, factory 700 actions are usually out of spec by about .006"-.010"
yes the barrel and chamber have a LOT to do with accuracy, if your action isn't true it puts unnessasary stress on the shoulder of your barrel your bolt could be canted slightly in the reciever (more stress). IMO yes, if your going to spend the money on a custom barrel, you should also blueprint the action.
you probably don't <span style="text-decoration: underline"> need</span> to sleeve the bolt, but I would sleeve the back half to make sure everything is alligned the same every time
Keep everything as tight as possible
wink.gif

tight tolerances=tight groups

Steve

l've got to agree with Steve on this one....
l've got a "Trued" not "Blued" 700 action and having shot several (factory only)others l would hazard a guess that it does make a change to the accuracy...Due in part to the fact that it will remove inconsistancies from the fired brass
Get the bolt face trued and have the bolt where it recesses into the chamber sorted as well, then get the bolt lugs lapped into the action..... = Sorted!!!!

BTW. l had a 6br build for the Ratwife on a rem700 action..... Watch out for feed issues mate. lf the bottom of the mag spring has any shift in it, it may not drive the follower level and you'll have problems. l cured it by placing two shims at each end of the spring to keep it in line. and make sure when the block at the back of the mag chamber is put in that it goes right up to the underside of the bolt or when the follower tilts it'll get bloody stuck in the resess.

Good luck on the project.

Ratty.

opinions are like assholes....everyone has one.......
if your out of the box boolit launcher works for you....run it
savvy what shows up in the winners circle
its ALWAYS the loose nut behind the trigger....

Skeet,

Anyone that says a Factory Remington 700 doesn’t need truing has never seen one trued. I feel so strongly about this, I won’t even barrel a receiver unless it's been trued. The receiver faces and lug abutments are never perpendicular to the bolt raceway and the receiver threads are very seldom concentric with the bolt raceway. Couple these problems with an out of parallel recoil lug and you've got stacked tolerances working against you from day one.

Dis eez troo......

you can remove variables till you stop breathing just to save time doing that as well....... :)

your guy sounds like he may say that to get your business by saving you some money and then when he gets your stuff he turns around and says "oh well it's so bad it has to be done I know what I said but your action is beyond help" maybe not, call me pessimistic

if you are rebarreling a rifle and plan on using it for f class, why wouldn't you take every step to ensure the most out of it? it may not make a difference but it may. i'd rather not stay awake at night wondering if that missed x ring was me or the rifle.

I tend to agree with doing all you can to your action, and i will. I am still pretty new to all this stuff and i like talking about rifles and trying to learn a thing or two along the way. You hear so much, and everyone seems to have an opinion. It is hard to know whats what sometimes. LOL!! Lee

Take it from the people who do this shit day in and day out.

I've heard reports of how unsquare a factory action is and from what I've heard, they can be pretty far off.

So, we KNOW factory actions can be out of square. How could this in any way be okay??? Isn't it obvious?

And as far as how far should you go to true it, I see it as right and wrong. There's a right way, and the half-assed way. True everything on the bolt/receiver or don't waste your time

Riiight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">opinions are like assholes....everyone has one.......
if your out of the box boolit launcher works for you....run it
savvy what shows up in the winners circle
its ALWAYS the loose nut behind the trigger.... </div></div>

+ 1 on this
I purposefuly cut a chamber off center and fit it to a factory receiver as an "experiment"... it would shoot 1/2" with hand loads......
(at least to 300 yds)

hey AZPrecision, Never mind, I let you have a pass today! You know what i mean. Anyway thanks guys. I was going to have my receiver trued anyway. The fella i was talking to seemed to know his shit and claimed that he has doesnt waste the money truing his action for varmint rifles. He claims they shoot just as good as the rifles he has had squared? I dont know!! But like said above, why take any chances. Im not going to!! Later, Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya but it was hell on the brass...

After a couple loadings they'd be stressin' </div></div>

It was....
The experiment was for me,
to see the effect on accuracy,
that's all,
Andy

At the very least you should have the receiver face checked and squared. Sleeveing the bolt and all that was a benchrest thing way back before there were many custom actions available.

You will be surprised at what you can get away with and still have a tack driving rifle. If you are spending the funds to have a custom barrel threaded on then the little extra funds to true the action is just good insurance.