• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Truing Ruger M77 Tang Safety

JGilesEastTx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Texas
www.google.com
Does anyone know a gunsmith who does work on ruger actions. I have looked extensively elsewhere and I can't find any reasonable info pertaining to this action. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Truing Ruger M77 Tang Safety

Try Williams gun sight company. I've posted the same question a couple times looking for a gunsmith to install a barrel and do a little action work. Good luck with your search I hope you had better luck than me.

Contact Jim See @ Center Shot Rifles. He's doing one for me a nice guy to deal with. Kenny

More to it then just "quick turnaround=profit"!

First and foremost is the investment cast receiver. There was actually a piece done on one of the shooting shows on the Outdoor Channel a while back that showed a Ruger employee straightening actions out of the molds before further processing. If you have to bend it to get it straighter then how straight and true is it??? He wasn't being real precise and took him seconds per action so what do you think their acceptable manufacturing tolerances are??? If you tighten the barrel and the receiver cracks after you spent hours accurizing it then what do you have? Integral bases don't allow much choice for scope mounting. I don't think the long tang that allows safety position is condusive to accuracy. The angled front screw isn't a plus either IMO.

Yes there are probably some real accurate custom built Ruger M77's floating around but there is a good reason there are only "some" and not thousands like the Remington. A hunting rifle is one thing, a reliable real accurate target or long range rig quite another. If the Ruger was the "cats ass" as far as actions go there wouldn't be any issues with nobody using them and working on them!!

You asked so I stated my .02 cents worth. The Remington is easy to work on and obtain descent accuracy without alot of trouble and expense.