• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    One of the downsides to using a ballistic calculator is the before vs. after effect. We read every day on Sniper’s Hide about shooters who have issues aligning their software to their real-world data. This is understandable because most are working the problem backward. Worse in this situation are shooters who feel they need the computer to get started. They have no reference points to use so they believe the computer is the only answer.

The easiest way to set up a ballistic calculator is after the rifle has been doped out to distance. Most new shooters are intimidated by this method. They want the computer to tell them where to start and what to use to hit the target, so doing the work prior makes little sense. In many cases, the software is purchased and installed on their smartphone before the rifle has been...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
    After adjusting your MV to get your 600yd data to match up, and adjusting your BC to get your 1000 yd data to line up, do you find you need to slightly adjust your MV to re-alight the 600yd data? And then slightly adjust your BC to re-match the 1000yd data? Do you have to do this cycle a couple times? or does it work out the first time? Will doing this cycle refine your data better?

I'm using a Kestrel 5700 Elite. After finding my true DOPE, would using the DSF function work instead of tweaking muzzle velocity/BC?
    Depends on caliber I think. DSF is meant to to true the subsonic range.

No don’t use the DSF

works better this way
    Even better yet, go to Alaska for the Precision Rifle Course. Besides learning critical fundamentals, Frank went thru this with me and trued my Kestrel to my exact dope based on multiple days of real world data out to 1000. Works perfect.

No don’t use the DSF

works better this way
    Even for subsonic 22? I have not had success trying to get the kestrel lined up using MV.

Centerfire I agree with for sure. I use a similar method to get dope lined up.

Dude,

Really subsonic 22s now.... okay you got me, use the DSF

seriously I want to quit the Internet, like yesterday
    My question was an honest one, just trying to clarify to make sure I was understanding correctly because the article stated .22 to .50. I'm always open to learning more and wanted to see if I was missing something on the method for 22LR is all. No intention of poking the bear or trying to be a smartass, just trying to learn.

Your reading comprehension sucks,

The ARTICLE STATES WEAPONIZED MATH WORKS from .22 to .50

I said nothing about TRUING A .22 and when I mention.22s I am always specific with those

Seriously, less and less I want to entertain this type of poster...

Here is what I wrote and it was specific to the Weaponized Math Charts,

I will refer you to Marc Taylor’s Weaponized Math. This is the absolute best method to dope any rifle, from .22 to .50 cal with minimal effort. The chart listed is an entire ballistic calculator on a single page; think that about that a minute—an entire calculator in one image.

There is no sight height, no bullet weight, and no muzzle velocity because Marc doped gravity, not a set of specific conditions. There is nothing to look at except for the last yard line. Gravity pulls a .22 the same as it does a 338, so having put a value to gravity gives us a more flexible and easier to manage tool. We deal with one factor, not several conflicting ones. We call the value assigned to the drop the X-Factor.

This is everything wrong with the internet today ... I said nothing about using this to TRUE A BALLISTIC CALCULATOR with a .22 this way ... not once. .22s are not the same, except that weaponized math alone can still use it.

Reactions: Sgtdrake
    It's seriously getting to be too much work to think about writing this stuff,

"How are they gonna misread this today" so an 800-word article is now 2400 to try and figure out where it will all get misunderstood.

So clearly I cannot make a single reference to anything that is not explained in triplicate

• Love
    Reactions: Enough Said
    My question was an honest one, just trying to clarify to make sure I was understanding correctly because the article stated .22 to .50. I'm always open to learning more and wanted to see if I was missing something on the method for 22LR is all. No intention of poking the bear or trying to be a smartass, just trying to learn.
    223 or 224 valk kind of 22.....not 22lr

Sometimes the wheels just fall off Frank, and no matter how hard you try to teach, something falls from the sky...... K.I.S.S. Good read BTW, and hopefully this helps as I've given up on trusting what the App spits out over a year now, and why I just went back to gathering dope.

Thanks for the update(s) buddy.

Weaponized Math alone will work for a .22, the issue is the ranges, you have to determine the 100% location, which would be closer to 200 yards. But it does work, people have done variations on it.

A rimfire .22 is a different animal, that is clear, a centerfire is what I talk about unless I am specific, and with a .22 rimfire, I am specific because it is different when shooting them how we do.

The point I am making is, everyone defaults to software because they need a starting point, they can't begin so they turn to the one tool they believe is supposed to guide them, software. But software is not that simple, so many screw it up or don't understand the process.

My article and combining it with the weaponized math shows a new shooter a better process to get started. After the initial session if they want to stick to software, great, but you have to start somewhere.

I have done that both ways, and both work. I think it happens when I dope a new custom barrel and it changes later.

Really depends but I don't shy away from it if I have too
    Frank,
    I used the weaponized math for my paper copy of the DOPE. Worked great for my 6.5cm . I went back later and used that to setup my Kestrel. How close to the true dope do you call it good (ie +/- .1, .05)?

Marty

If a majority of the numbers are good like right on, I will suffer from one or two ranges being .2 mils off

Beyond 600 .2 should be fixed, but inside I don't sweat it as much. A .2 variation on one-yard line doesn't bother me,

Our truing bars are .2 wide, which is .72" x _00 so less than 1 MOA, where .3 is 1 MOA so fix that for sure

Learning the voodoo on here is like finding good music... it never ends. Frank thanks for looking at my dumb chart. Ill use this article’s lessons to set up my gun and true up my chart👍

Holy smokes what a fan-freakin-tastic article....so glad I ventured out of the Bear Pit!

Soooooooo I did a thing!!! Looking at lowlights chart and being bad at math I put it into an excel spreadsheet. Enter number here and Try Dope spits out here. Rinse and repeat out to 1000. Works pretty well on my iPhone!!!! Thanks guys this is awesome.

Soooooooo I did a thing!!! Looking at lowlights chart and being bad at math I put it into an excel spreadsheet. Enter number here and Try Dope spits out here. Rinse and repeat out to 1000. Works pretty well on my iPhone!!!! Thanks guys this is awesome.

That was what the App was supposed to do, I know you can build a page in Excel with the @Sum

Found it full of good information for a new guy like me. Now only if I can find a longer range, and more time.

I'll have to save this. Will try this instead of a calculator when I get a spot to shoot further.

Reactions: Sotx 284
    Frank, Marc and I put together a post of this system for your range or gun room.
    Here is a link to purchase it - Weaponized Math Poster

24x36 poster
    1655302844222.png