• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trump’s Social Media Executive Order

drwood96

Samsonite! I was way off!
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2017
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I think it’s is a huge step forward in the fight against A2 censorship by the big social media platform. Yes, it will be fought in courts for a while but it’s progress. Sniper’s Hide has been our safe haven for several years, thanks Frank!, but I would love for some of our favorite account not be penalize and demonetize for posting a big bad rifle

Quote from the order:

"In a country that has long cherished the freedom of expression, we cannot allow a limited number of online platforms to hand-pick the speech that Americans may access and convey on the internet," the order says. "This practice is fundamentally un-American and anti-democratic. When large, powerful social media companies censor opinions with which they disagree, they exercise a dangerous power."

The order accuses social media platforms of "invoking inconsistent, irrational, and groundless justifications to censor or otherwise punish Americans' speech here at home."

The best part was Facebook’s comment to CNN:
    “this would penalize companies that choose to allow controversial speech and encourage platforms to censor anything that might offend anyone," Facebook spokesman Andy Stone said in a statement.
    So why is it ok to censor A2 content because it offended someone?

Does this mean we have to let Mahi, AJ and that guy with the spit shined Reebok’s back?

Sirhr
    Just those three? 😁 I will say there has probably been more banned for the good instead of the other way around...
    1DB6B534-F1DD-4F33-8497-1069A55B612E.jpeg

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    There comes a time when social media companies get big enough and have enough influence that I don't believe it is right for them to hide behind the "we are private so we can do as we please" FB, YOUTUBE, GOOGLE, TWITTER, I believe should be treated as public airwaves just like radio and tv with the exception that no restriction should be placed on the content.

Why hasn't anyone started a social media on the right ?

participation— we’re all out living in the real world while many that lean towards the other side thrive within the box. We love SH, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to hours spent on FB, IG, Snap, etc.

Everyone censors now— who gets it just depends on where the support comes from.

Last edited:
    The issue here , as stated In The quote by the OP, is the word opinion.

somewhere over the last 10years we have completely blurred the lines be tween what is fact, what is fiction and what is opinion. They all have their place.

it’s when they are intentionally misrepresented or disguised to appear as something else.

take a show like the daily show. It speaks of current events, politics and news. But it is satire and comedy and appears on Comedy Central.

then look at some of the shows on fox and msnbc. They are by design set up and formatted to look like news but are strictly editorial and opinion based. They have no standard of care for being truthful or factual. But many people watch it as if they were watching Walter Cronkite. They are not operating under the standards of good journalism.

where trump has gotten himself in trouble is he acts as if he can be donald trump and then at times be president trump and speak to the public through the same twitter account and be flippant with facts

the moment he started using the social media as a method to speak to the American public as the president of the United States it changed the expectation and requirement of that communication.

twitter and Facebook started posting advisors on posts that were not factually accurate or were editorials/opinions vs actual facts because people were having a hard time understanding what they were reading and where it was coming from.

it’s like the only days when SNL would do the spoofs on commercials and when they really nailed tint he audience at home would have to question if the product was real or not

Last edited:
    This doesn't changes business for the social media companies, It will only take certain power from them. the big companies still make their billions but election is coming past and people need to air out their opinions plus social media companies censoring people's opinion is truly dangerous.

Barr said it best, that they built their membership by saying it is a place to freely express yourself. Once they got the membership they became partisan.

Twitter and facebook are in the public Domain if you ask me. IMHO They no longer belong to them, they belong to the people. Just like the airwaves, powergrid and telephone systems.

Reactions: Slash0311
    The debate will need to include discussions as to whether they are a public utility like a phone company... whether they can be a regulated monopoly... and whether their liability protections are removed now that they alter/censor content. Also a breakup could be warranted.

Facebook just bought Giphy. New they can regulate the creation of gifs and memes with the most widely available tools.

IMHO it would NOT be good to give Zuckerberg what he wants and allow Facebook to be a regulated monopoly. Why? Because regulators are easily paid off.

Remove liability protections, this stock prices tumble. Their financial power diminishes. And ban they from any content regulation. Shadow banning. Community standards. And break them up. The reach of big Communications Tech is too pervasive.

Look up Cubby V. Compuserve. That decision should be a model as it prohibited online services from regulating content.

Sirhr

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
    Twitter made the case against itself when it flagged Trump's looter tweet. I don't do Twitter or Facebook and just another reason to not too.
    Actually the flagging just gives it more attention. I am sure the liberal media will dissect this all day with usual celebrity comments thrown in as well.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I have zero social media. This place is as close as I come. But the way I see it is when these companies take it upon themselves to fact check , they open themselves up to being editorial which takes them out of out of being eligible for immunity. It's all or nothing IMO.

In general, I disagree with government getting involved in private business, but these platforms are not playing by the same rules a Fox, ABC, etc. are and this loophole has been exploited.

Long overdue...; but overshadowed by the larger issue being fought on the streets of Minneapolis, and apparently being sized up for the 'Burbs.

Social media is not my thing. It abounds with stereotypes, me-toos, and gushing praise/slander/fawning incel worship/whatever. There is no justice besides the condemnation of folks with too much time on their hands; and damned little meaningful accomplishment to their credit.

I'd ratter talk to Maggot; by far, the more intelligent source of engaging conversation.

Greg