• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying different powders with the same projectile

Macmathews

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Ontario . Canada
Looking for tips on handloading for my Rem 700 5R..
I have tried 3 kinds of pills .. SMK175 , Scenar 155 and AMAX 178 ..

With early load development being best for scenar then smk then amax a distant 3rd..
I have tried the amax with only varget though.. could I have different results from another powder..
I realize the quick answer is stick with what works, but I also like load development. I am just trying to shorten the learning curve , by getting advice here !.

thanks

Kyle

I couldn't get the 178gn to shoot in my 300 SAUM, I could manage .75 to 1moa with them with 3 different powders so I gave up and went to the 185gn Juggernauts and it now shoots .25moa with 3 different powder charges so I stuck with that. Sometimes some barrels just dont like certain bullets. I have 2 260s and one loves the Hornady 140gn HPBT the other wont shoot them under 1moa, both guns built by the same smith with the same reamer, just different barrels.