• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying f class removing muzzle brake question

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Thinking of trying a bit of f class with my rifle. I would have to remove the muzzle brake which is a pain it's a Witt machine clamp on that has been loctited on. All load development and zero with muzzle brake on.

I still want to be able to shoot and spot steel with the brake off. It's been so long since I shot with brake off I can't remember what the recoil and spotting Is like.

It's a 6.5x47l mostly running 139 scenars. Do you guys think I will still be able to spot impacts on steel through the scope like I do now at 600? Without that muzzle brake?

thanks guys will take it off and give it a go maybe. I'm guessing all loads developed with the brake will now need to be reworked as well? thoughts on that?

You might want to check before you pull your Brake!

We can shoot our local F-Class matches with a Muzzle Device like a Brake.

Since the rifle does not comply with the rules, they will not count the scores, and they will not report them to the NRA. Personally, I could care less about that, I just want the trigger time/practice.

I always take one of the spots on the end of the line, and I take a simple barrier that I setup between me and the next shooter. That way none of the other shooters can bitch about the noise or blast.

Might be worth checking into. I know that it is gaining in popularity, and more places are allowing it to get in more shooters.

Reactions: pitdog85
Weight of rifle also plays a big role in this. How much does it weigh fully loaded?
Hey man it weighs about 15lb from memory.

You might want to check before you pull your Brake!

We can shoot our local F-Class matches with a Muzzle Device like a Brake.

Since the rifle does not comply with the rules, they will not count the scores, and they will not report them to the NRA. Personally, I could care less about that, I just want the trigger time/practice.

I always take one of the spots on the end of the line, and I take a simple barrier that I setup between me and the next shooter. That way none of the other shooters can bitch about the noise or blast.

Might be worth checking into. I know that it is gaining in popularity, and more places are allowing it to get in more shooters.

Thanks for the heads up I will ask about this for sure. I couldn't care less for scores counting or anything like that either I was just half interested as they shoot f class 7mins from my house out to 700 yards be good for practice like you say. Looked into the costs it certainly isn't cheap though!!!

Its a soft shooting cartridge and at around 15 pounds the rifle, I think you'll be fine. You might be so used to the brake that at first you'll slightly have a problem maybe. But nothing major!!!

thanks guys will take it off and give it a go maybe. I'm guessing all loads developed with the brake will now need to be reworked as well? thoughts on that?

If the load your using now is working well for you, removing the brake shouldn't make a difference except on the POI. That will be a bit higher than with the brake on. A quick re-zero is all that should be required.