• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to balance fuel economy and getting around in deeper snow with vehicle purchase

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I've been driving a pickup truck for 30 years, a couple fords, and a couple Toyotas in that timeframe. I'm considering picking up something with relatively low miles, and am looking for your feedback on how your SUV's have done in deeper snow on low maintenance roads. I haven't really narrowed the field yet. First pick would be a Tacoma access cab, but the fuel mileage isn't that great and the seats on my 2003 Tacoma sucked. Also looking at the Subaru Outback, maybe Crosstrek too, and the Nissan Rogue(lose value quickly). The tundra I currently drive only gets 12-15 in the winter crawling around on the back roads .
    Since (*^_@! WA State has the highest fuel prices in the nation (FUCK the dipshit Dems) I'm looking for better economy and snow travel ability as well, in my retired winter hunting adventures.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/experiences.

Are there other models I should consider as well? Wife has a Rav, and I haven't been terribly impressed in the winter with deeper snow.

Check out the 4runner. The 5th gen been around for quiet a while, its reliable and handles off road very well. We bought one in October of last year and it handled a crap ton - (65 feet give or take) with stock suspension and stock tires like a champ. Albeit all the stock stuff is gone now....

Rumor has it a new body style with new motor design will be out next year, but who knows if thats true and after hearing horror stories of the new tundra, Id buy the tested gen 5 4R all over again.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Don't go with any Nissan that has a CVT transmission. Absolute garbage. Even the guy that rebuilt the one in my wife's car said it's a shit design. Adequate for a snowmobile, but pure shit for a vehicle.

Something way off course to consider. There are several companies making TDI conversions for jeeps. That’s an engine that is pretty potent with a tune but still gets near 40mpg.

Of the vehicles you list the Subaru is probably the best combo of capabilities and economy. We had an early forester that ran great in snow and got high 20s mpg.

The outback or Crosstrek probably get's pretty good gas mileage, but I haven't been blown away by the gas mileage of our ascent. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but not for the mileage.

Are you replacing the trucks or buying an additional vehicle? How good does the fuel economy need to be to offset the cost of purchase?

Reactions: Maggot
    Might be hard pressed to find mpg numbers for just idling around. At that point it’s probably a wash. If it’s an additional vehicle, a SxS might be more what you’re looking for.

I'll add that Subaru's are amazing vehicles in poor weather, for what they are. But, they are predicated on there being a road underneath. It can be a pretty gnarly road, but a road none the less. If your idea of a road is "I think someone might have driven down this way, once" you may be disappointed...

Are you replacing the trucks or buying an additional vehicle? How good does the fuel economy need to be to offset the cost of purchase?
    This. Even at 15 mpg you can go a lot of miles cheaper than buying a new 50K vehicle.

Reactions: BCP and DIBBS
    I know two people who bought new Nissans in the last three years, one of which was a pickup, and they both said new Nissans have gone way down in quality. The friend sold the Nissan P/U because he had so many issues with it.

Subarus are decent cars but don't get as good mileage as their Toyota and Honda competitor models.

Stick to Toyota or Honda for best reliability.

Reactions: mike4045 and DIBBS
    It depends on a few things . How much money you're willing to spend , ground clearance you want and on or off road .
    Subaru Crosstrek has like 8.7 " of clearance IIRC and good mileage.
    Honda Pilot AWD 7.3" oc clearance and great mileage and room .
    Ford pick up with Ecoboost V6 good mileage , good clearance .
    Edit: Ford pick up gas 8.2 to 12 " clearance depending on model .

Last edited:
    The wife has a Crosstrek, get 35+mpg on pure gas, but it does not push drifts. 6” of snow, it’s awesome. Blown drifts? Hits it with the plastic front end and will not keep going without damage. Solid foot on the ground? Forget about it, it’s a work from home kind of day.

Tall tires = ground clearance. Tall tires never equals fuel efficiency. Get an old Tayota or Jeep, throw some 35s on it for the shitty days, and an AWD commuter car for everything else.

You're looking to slog around in snow....in 4wd.....and you're thinking about mpg ?

It don't work that way son.

You mean I can't have the BEST of both worlds? Damnitt!!

Perhaps I do need a reality check, and a sharper pencil, because I AM suffering from sticker shock... although it will likely be the last newer vehicle I purchase.

I sincerely appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

I do have a older UTV/SxS (call it the "town car" ) and have successfully high centered it in snowdrifts, but I WAS testing its mechanical, and my judgement, abilities. In that regard I have also successfully done the same with a couple different pickups.

Please keep the recommendations coming, and I'll cross the Rogue off of the list.

Last edited:
    I know you said SUV but my 3500HD high country silverado diesel goes thru any amount of snow there is. Gets 22MPG. Big money tho. JM2C rob.

I know it's not in your list , but my 2005 3500 dodge 3500 5.9 diesel with 400,000 miles still gets 22 mpg and goes just about anywhere my jeep does , and I'll never get rid of it , even if it means replacing the motor , still be cheaper than paying 80k for a new truck.

What about the hybrid Toyota AWD highlander? Think Subaru with better mpgs. 8 inches of ground clearance stock 35 mpg

If you can get one; the dealerships near me would advertise them but you were looking at 3-4 mo. lead and 6K over sticker.

I know it's not in your list , but my 2005 3500 dodge 3500 5.9 diesel with 400,000 miles still gets 22 mpg and goes just about anywhere my jeep does , and I'll never get rid of it , even if it means replacing the motor , still be cheaper than paying 80k for a new truck.
    you would die before you have to replace the motor

Reactions: 101st
    The wife has a Crosstrek, get 35+mpg on pure gas, but it does not push drifts. 6” of snow, it’s awesome. Blown drifts? Hits it with the plastic front end and will not keep going without damage. Solid foot on the ground? Forget about it, it’s a work from home kind of day.

Tall tires = ground clearance. Tall tires never equals fuel efficiency. Get an old Tayota or Jeep, throw some 35s on it for the shitty days, and an AWD commuter car for everything else.

A friend of mine has a crosstrek and goes offroad all over the place. My only gripe is that they didn't turbocharge it. Like WTF Subaru it would've been fucking awesome but nope, they put a boring hamster wheel engine in it.

Awd rav4. My aunt drove one for ever back east and it went anywhere while getting high 20 mpg

Reactions: Milf Dots
    How did you do that? Are you racing it? Mine is an old 12 v that started in a dodge and now lives in a f250
    Yes, it's a racer. First one was melted pistons. Next two were due to faulty oil pump that starved the oil. Wasn't caught the first time and no indication of a problem.
    900+ on fuel, 1150 with squeeze. 11.2 in 1/4.

You mean I can't have the BEST of both worlds? Damnitt!!

Perhaps I do need a reality check, and a sharper pencil, because I AM suffering from sticker shock... although it will likely be the last newer vehicle I purchase.

I sincerely appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

I do have a older UTV/SxS (call it the "town car" ) and have successfully high centered it in snowdrifts, but I WAS testing its mechanical, and my judgement, abilities. In that regard I have also successfully done the same with a couple different pickups.

Please keep the recommendations coming, and I'll cross the Rogue off of the list.
    Cue the "Indiana Jones" music.

iu

iu
    iu

My outback gets me 99% of the bad place I go with no lift. I have pushed some pretty good snow on dirt roads with no lift. Snow is pretty variable, you can blast through two feet of dry snow or get smashed by a foot of wet snow. Mine is going to end up looking like one of the above to get me to the other 1% of places, most of which I have taken it, but its hairy. Think eroded canyon two tracks where you are like. How the fuck did he get here? Thats me, feeling like an idiot, thinking why the fuck did I bring this here instead of my pickup. Oh yea, 35 MPG vs 10 MPG. Plus its a 2k dollar car I have put almost 100k on now. Plus choosing lines when wheeling has always been key.

• Love
    you would die before you have to replace the motor

Not necessarily. They still have their issues.

Like anything mechanical they wear out. I've had a stock 5.9 24v Cummins grenade at 80k. The replacement made it another 200k before the typical Dodge wiring harness gremlins made it worthless.

I lived in Fairplay, Colorado until the political climate became unbearable and I moved to Texas. My house was right at the tree line at 10,300 feet altitude. I commuted to Breckenridge where I was a ski instructor. I lived on an un-maintained road. The Subaru Outback got me where I needed to go, through snowdrifts and unmaintained roads. The outback has a fairly high clearance yet a low center of gravity, is heavy, has all wheel drive (which is different than 4 wheel drive), and has an optimal wheelbase.

Look to the new small diesel turbo engines offered by GM and Ford. My sons Canyon with a Duramax gets 26 mpg. Full size GM 1500 diesels getting 24 mpg.

Reactions: Eddystone