• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trying to bulk up a little..

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to the hide and I want to hopefully learn a lot, and i already have. But now i have a few questions about physical fitness and strength training.

First off I not really that big at all, I'm 5'6" tall and weigh around 120 lbs. I feel that I'm decently strong for my size but I'd like to get stronger and bulk up more. I don't really have any weight equipment, just 10-40 lb dumbbells, and a chin up bar. Could you guys give me some help on what i should do? I'd prefer to start with body weight exercises such as push ups and chin ups and stuff until I get a weight bench.

Like how often should I do these exercises and so fourth, also about how many calories should i aim to get everyday? 3000? or more? and what kind of foods should i be eating? I'm not really that active now but in a few weeks track will be starting up. sorry for all the questions but i just have no idea where to start. if you need anything clarified just ask. Thank you in advance.

Re: trying to bulk up a little..

eat, eat, eat. hit the gym 6 days a week. remember, eat, eat, eat. u can work out all u want, but if u don't eat u wont get the gains.

Don't start bulking up on calories until your body tells you that you need them , otherwise it's just wasted money & food.
Try doing basic exercises that will stress your larger muscles....
Dumbell squats (low reps) 5 sets
Dumbell flyes (med reps) 4 sets
Dumbell curls (high reps) 6 sets

Take in lots of lean proteins, at least one gram per pound of body weight. Fish, chicken, lean pork etc.

Bulking up is easy! Just get married
smile.gif

After 9 years you should see how bulky iv'e got!

DC or 5x5 workout. You DON'T have to live in the gym to be big.

Eat! Drink beer!

No really...diet is key, but be smart. It ain't bon-bons and cherry cokes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biglou13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GOMAD

google it

(gallon of milk a day) </div></div>

I had bad luck with gomad personally. I cut the consumption to half and found a much happier medium.

I eventually ended up switching entirely to lower fat milk, and only drinking milk with protein and getting a much better overall macronutrient profile though.

That said I had a higher bodyfat than this guy does, and I probably should have cut first. It definitely earned me quite a bit of muscle, but I packed fat on at the same time.

If you can get it try drinking raw milk its full of good nutrients and probiotics and even people with lactose intolerance can generaly drink it with no troubles!!

I get raw goats milk here localy from grass fed goats , not that i'm getting into my contest prep phase i'll make my own skim milk from it and use that in my shakes and such just to reduce the fat content a bit

gonna be tough putting on size while running track. start with 5-6 meals a day. Sometimes that means eating when your not hungry. whole foods such as red meat, chicken, egg whites with a few yokes etc. and carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoe and oatmeal etc. A protein shake when you wake up and before you go to bed works well also

tricer, you didn't let us know your age. Oftentimes teen aged guys simply can't bulk due to their Speed-of-Sound metabolism. Don't kiil yourself dude.

According to NSCA, whom I regard as the best of the certs (among the top 3, to show respect to the other two that are also very good). I give this info straight from NSCA's Essentials of Strength and Conditioning:

Strength <6 reps for 2-6 sets
Power 1-2 for single-effor movements for 3-5 sets
3-5 for multiple-effort movements for 3-5 sets
Hypertrophy (get bigger) 6-12 reps for 3-6 sets
Muscular endurance >12 reps for 2-3 sets

These do not include warm up sets. Also the principle of progressive overload is important. I have found my best, along with others doing 5x5, without going up or down in weight. Once you can complete something like that, you can add weight for your next time. I personally like 5x2-3. Again, your body will adapt and you'll have to change the routine after awhile. I have given you a list of different methods to get the goals, but they all blur together to an extent (ex. lifting for strength does work on hypertrophy to endurance, but strength is the primary focus).

physicaladdictions.com