• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide on a lightweight 308 can

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I'm trying to decide on my next can, and would like to hear what you guys think. I'm building an ultralight AR10, 16" 308. I'm wanting a 308 can that is as light and short as possible, but still does a decent job at suppressing. I don't think I want a full titanium one, I'd rather not have to worry about it getting too hot; but I'm open to discussion on that. Nomad, vox k, resonator k, ultra 7...stuff like that. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks.

Can’t wait to try the Dominus SR on AR10 type platform. Breaking it in with the bolt for now.
Have question @Zak Smith via email.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
I've never heard a ping on a Dominus-SR.

I've heard it on a few Dominus-CB's, and we looked into it on that. We could not find any physical structure that should vibrate at that frequency and it varied rifle to rifle, so we concluded that there was an existing vibration on the rifle that was "magnified" by the size, weight, and location of the Dominus-CB (and no longer masked by a loud report). When we put a cover on it, it was inaudible.

If you could privately send me the details of your setup(s), that would be helpful.

Reactions: Jackomason
I’ll buy a cover for it. I can’t send a PM for some reason. Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to decide on my next can, and would like to hear what you guys think. I'm building an ultralight AR10, 16" 308. I'm wanting a 308 can that is as light and short as possible, but still does a decent job at suppressing. I don't think I want a full titanium one, I'd rather not have to worry about it getting too hot; but I'm open to discussion on that. Nomad, vox k, resonator k, ultra 7...stuff like that. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks.
Dead Air Nomad-30, or Rex Silentium MG-7.

You do NOT want a K-can... Trust me. It's a waste of a tax stamp and money with supersonic ammo. You'll still have to wear earplugs.

Have both the DA Nomad 30 standard and also the Ti. Both have been converted to QD with the Q Cherry Bomb.

Both are great options. The standard sits on a POF Revolution with a 16” barrel and a day scope. The Ti on a POF Revolution 12.5” SBR with a thermal.

It may sound counterintuitive to have the Ti on the SBR but I need as light as possible for nighttime long stalks. I usually am not doing ammo dumps….maybe 8-10 steady rounds popped off if we get into a good sounder. Definitely don’t want to touch anything with it after that🔥but it does cool quicker than the steel.

I cannot remember if it was the 16” or SBR I did this on but I installed both and balanced the mag well. The standard caused the barrel to tilt forward but the Ti did not. That being said the standard Nomad 30 does not feel a whole lot heavier….only a few more ounces, cannot recall off the top of my head the specs though.

Last edited:

I have a short can, I probably wouldn't buy another. I don't hate it but it's not quiet.

For titanium cans you can get the cgs Hyperion K(6.4") or Helios qd ti. While they are Ti from what I've seen from testers (Slayderaider for example) they take quite a bit of abuse and take longer to heat up due to routing gasses along an outer annulus.

I4jrVIp.jpg

If you can keep the firing schedule down the Diligent Defense Enticer S Ti is a great can, great price and only 9oz.

For a stainless can the Nomad is fantastic.

The OSS HX QD Ti is 14.5 oz and would be great on a 16" gas gun. It's slightly heavier than some others but will result in the least amount of blow back.

You should take a look at the SilencerCo Chimera-300 ... it's the perfect combination of "Quiet", "Light", and "Versatile". I have two of them ... and use them on everything from .223 to .308.

You should take a look at the SilencerCo Chimera-300 ... it's the perfect combination of "Quiet", "Light", and "Versatile". I have two of them ... and use them on everything from .223 to .308.

That's a hard use can and relatively heavy iirc, something like 20 oz. Their Omega 300 is lighter and quieter but not as durable.

That's a hard use can and relatively heavy iirc, something like 20 oz. Their Omega 300 is lighter and quieter but not as durable.
All true ... but one thing I've learned about suppressors in my purchase odyssey acquiring seven of them ... is that you should always buy "2" if you think you need "1", and you should opt for "flexible" over "specific". IMHO ... YMMV.

All true ... but one thing I've learned about suppressors in my purchase odyssey acquiring seven of them ... is that you should always buy "2" if you think you need "1", and you should opt for "flexible" over "specific". IMHO ... YMMV.

Oh for sure, I just don't think that one quiet fits his bill. That can is rated for well beyond what most people will ever do. The omega is probably enough for most. I have over 10 at this point as well so for me at this point I'm generally looking for a can for specific purposes. Flexibility in a first can or if you only have a couple is definitely great.

I have several cans that I run on short barrel AR's. Right now I like the following:

Dominus-K SR [https://www.bisontactical.com/dominus-k-sr-tbac-suppressor/]
AB Suppressor Raptor 2 (2 Spiral design) [https://www.bisontactical.com/ab-suppressors-raptor/]

I did a bunch of testing with a variety of cans in some attempt to get quiet suppressors on an SBR on Full Auto - and the result in my mind was "Don't, just focus on other features". I figure in any case that I am shooting except for hunting, I am going to have to be wearing hearing pro (the other exception being .22 or subsonics), so for me the level of suppression is less important than other factors.

I run the AB because is is super duper light weight (entirely titanium - no steel brake). It permanently lives on my 12.5" AR15 which is designated as my Light Weight Sniper Adventure Rifle. I don't shoot this full auto, and don't do mag dumps with it. So far not problems at all, suppresses good enough and the suppressor weighs about the same as a brake. The added benefit is it protects my partner when he has to be around the blast during the match.

I really like the Dominus-K because it has SR. I really like the concept of secondary retention since I move a lot with my gear, and don't want to have to worry that something has come loose. The Dominus-K does an OK job of suppression and is lighter than my OSS HX-QD 556K [https://www.bisontactical.com/oss-hx-qd-556k-suppressor/].

I really appreciate TBAC publishes the data they do about their suppressors, and they test using standards - not just saying "Full Auto Rated" for example. The hard use test data makes it more clear the level of abuse the suppressor would take before failing, so I feel much more confident with a Titanium suppressor from TBAC on a full auto than some other manufacturers Titanium suppressors.

Reactions: Gabranch
I have a TBAC Ultra 5, and love it on short barrels. It’s tiny and light, and I don’t need hearing protection for normal outdoors/killing things activities.

Re: full auto rated cans…. I think a lot of folks should stop pretending that they’re going to leave their desk job and fight a war next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
Thanks for the replies. I have a 36M in jail right now, could I use a plan A on it and lighten it up some?

Thanks for the replies. I have a 36M in jail right now, could I use a plan A on it and lighten it up some?

A Plan A/B mount would certainly shave some ounces off of the ASR mount.

I would also consider the Q Plan B system, but using the hardware that Rearden MFG makes.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Does anyone happen to know how many ounces I could shave off of an omega 36m by changing the mounting system? This might prevent me from having to buy another can. Although I still might...

I have a bunch of different cans and my favorite by far is the banish GOLD 30 cal. It is light as a feather and the quietest can i have. And you can either use it with the titanium brakes specifically made for the gold or you can use the tbac cb brakes with it.

I have a bunch of different cans and my favorite by far is the banish GOLD 30 cal. It is light as a feather and the quietest can i have. And you can either use it with the titanium brakes specifically made for the gold or you can use the tbac cb brakes with it.
How is the Gold for a precision rifle as far as getting the most accuracy potential out of the rifle, have you seen any degradation vs a fully welded can?

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
How is the Gold for a precision rifle as far as getting the most accuracy potential out of the rifle, have you seen any degradation vs a fully welded can?
It works perfectly well for precision. Absolutely zero degradation in accuracy. Actually a slight gain just like any suppressor ive used. This is a 4rd group i just shot with my mdrx 16” 5.56 barrel. And also shot the same size group with my 6.5 creedmoor barrel. Id highly recommend it.

Attachments

• 93195719-FA62-4957-9AFC-CDB594BA67B0.jpeg
    93195719-FA62-4957-9AFC-CDB594BA67B0.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: jbell
I've got 15 or so cans and there's a lot of good recommendations in the thread already. If money is any consideration, I would look real hard at the Rex Silentium cans. I've gotten some out of jail recently and have been real impressed with them. I have used the MG7 the most and it's been very impressive. Weight is about as good as it gets for a 17-4 can. I switched mine to all run the Griffin Plan A and have been real happy.

I've got 15 or so cans and there's a lot of good recommendations in the thread already. If money is any consideration, I would look real hard at the Rex Silentium cans. I've gotten some out of jail recently and have been real impressed with them. I have used the MG7 the most and it's been very impressive. Weight is about as good as it gets for a 17-4 can. I switched mine to all run the Griffin Plan A and have been real happy.

Rex cans seem like a great value, especially during their sales.

Reactions: FuhQ