• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Trying to decide on coyote rifle

cgbills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Florida
OK so we just moved to a house on 5 acres. My neighbor who I’ve gotten to know Has some orchards and about 40 acres. I am trying to figure out what caliber/rifle I should put together for coyotes and other predators that are around. Though we live on acreage, there is not a lot of long-shots to be had. In fact, there are some built-up areas/houses around. Most shots would be under 250, with one stretch of a field going to about 420. All hunting would be done suppressed at night with a thermal. Also some of the hunting would be more spot and stalk, because it would be me going after predators that are after chickens, etc.

I am leaning heavily towards the 204 Ruger or 20 practical because of the flat trajectory and because the bullet is small and doesn’t have a lot of inertia (remember, there is some built-up areas around). I could easily do this and build a rifle with all my AR parts lying around.

The only other thing I was considering was a 22 Creedmoor shooting light bullets. The reason for this is because I have an extra action and chassis sitting around, as well as a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor, brass, dies, and go/no go gauges, etc. I feel though that a 22 Creedmoor Would be a little more than needed. Also a heavier bolt gun like might not be conducive to more spot in stock scenarios. I am definitely leaning more towards the 204 because it’s lighter, is flat at the ranges I can shoot, and does not have a ton of inertia with the small 32 grain bullets. To be honest, that is one of my biggest considerations finally a 204 would allow me to use my lighter suppressor. A 22 Creedmoor would require my heavy suppressor that weighs about a pound more. Any thoughts or input is appreciated

I use a CZ 527 in .223 with 50 grain bullets on the yodel dogs. Similar conditions to what you describe. Works pretty well.
Same here. I most often use a 50gr VMax in my CZ527. It’s a great coyote rig.

That said, I’ve grabbed my 14.5” AR/Steiner P4Xi 1-4 pretty often when I’m relatively sure my shots will be inside 200 yards. For your uses, especially if the odds of a 400yd+ shot would be rare, just put together a 16” AR in .223 Wylde and take advantage of cheap ammunition/components.

Have several 223’s, want something different. Also I want something that is flatter shooting because range estimation and elevation adjustments sucks at night with a thermal.

Also mainly looking at 204, 22 practical, and 22 CM for the reasons listed above. I know there are some other 22s that would fit in an AR15 (22 Nosler, 22 ARC, etc) but it looks like the 204 will still shoot flatter than them

Finally, don’t think I want to step into a 6mm, because I want to keep bullet weight down to help mitigate ricochets, etc and to get the fastest and flattest I can to 300-400 (though most shots will be inside that range)

Last edited:
Have several 223’s, want something different. Also I want something that is flatter shooting because range estimation and elevation adjustments sucks at night with a thermal.
22 Creed was mentioned...
22ARC?
.243?

@cgbills

Sounds like you’re set on the 204 as yhe something different. It ought to scratch the itch just fine. What platform are you considering as a launcher?

Reactions: John_in_WYO
I am sure I will be flamed for this again. Oh well. Who the hell wants to have a neighbor bouncing bullets around the neighborhood at night with thermal? It's lucency and it will end up badly sooner rather than later. A little common sense goes a long way. Apparently in short supply.
When you have 5 acres you almost always have a lot of other 5 acre neighbors. You would be stretching it to even shoot a 22 LR into a berm on your 5 acres in the daylight. Much less a centerfire rifle at night.

I really like 6arc for coyotes. Any of the varmint bullets between 70 and 90gr seem to just fold them. I shoot 87gr v-max, and they are usually laying right where they were hit. Quiet suppressed, almost no recoil, cheap to shoot and inherently accurate.

Well for one it is perfectly legal in the state of Florida to shoot on one’s property if they have 5 acres and all their adjacent neighbors have at least 1.5 acres. But besides that you must not have read where I said my one neighbor has 40 acres. This would be the property I would be hunting over and the property that is immediately adjacent to me. Though there are houses around, I do not see an issue with hunting like that if one knows their sectors of fire and what is immediately behind your target

Last edited:
What part of FL are you in?
I have a couple of 204s, some 221 Fireballs and some centerfire 17s you can try if you're close enough.
I'm down just south of Brandon.

Hey Mike, thanks for the offer, but I am on the other coast in Vero Beach.

Also I decided to stick with 223 shooting 53 vmax’s for now. I got a killer deal on the 20in heavy fluted barrel that Aero/BA makes. I guess they are discontinuing them. If I start to feel inadequate with that, then I may switch it up

700 Classic in 17Rem wearing a 2.5-8 VX3 in Tally LW's with a 22" Pac-Nor Super Match Barrel and RB trigger .
Been using this rifle for about 16yrs now and I hope to use it another 16 if I live that long.
YxByC2Cl.jpg

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Build a cozy platform blind 6-8ft off ground where you can move it with a tractor. If you have chances at multiple yotes then a AR is better choice otherwise you can't beat a 22-250 especially at that long range.

Reactions: Charlie112
a 17 hmr with cheap sweet 17 that has drops to 200 would be the easiest/cheapest thing to shoot. will kill any dog in the state of FL.
Have you killed any coyotes with a 17hmr?

I've never tried it, and I own a couple of them. I have shot quite a few coyotes, and I've watched them soak up much larger bullets going much faster, and I've seen them run for miles. I'm not saying that you can't kill a coyote with a 17hmr, but I'd be surprised if you found many of them shot with one. I'd like to hear someone who's actually tried weigh in.

I've never tried it, and I own a couple of them. I have shot quite a few coyotes, and I've watched them soak up much larger bullets going much faster, and I've seen them run for miles. I'm not saying that you can't kill a coyote with a 17hmr, but I'd be surprised if you found many of them shot with one. I'd like to hear someone who's actually tried weigh in.
I shot a coyote with a 17HMR once at about 75 yards with a TNT hollowpoint load. Right behind the shoulder. It dropped like a ton of bricks, then about 5 seconds later got up and ran away like nothing happened. Would not recommend.

I'll barely shoot them with a .223. I've lost more than I want to admit with a .223. I've seen them soak up much larger bullets and run away. I shot one three times with a 6arc with 108gr eld-x, all right through the center of the chest. It finally died after running a few hundred yards leaking all over the place.

Reactions: Big Phish
I shot a coyote with a 17HMR once at about 75 yards with a TNT hollowpoint load. Right behind the shoulder. It dropped like a ton of bricks, then about 5 seconds later got up and ran away like nothing happened. Would not recommend.
Back in Sept one night hunting trash panda with my Bergara BMR in 22lr 2 coyotes showed up trying to kill 2 fawns that were feeding on the corn. I took a well aimmed shot just behind the shoulder for a heart/lung shot at approx 65 yards. It spun around and took off and a few minute later I seen it slowly walking away which I knew it will die a miserable slow death which is fine in my book. It has not been seen on camera anymore so it certainly died. You bet I wished I had my AR 223. If you not going to recover em then it doesn't matter.

Back in Sept one night hunting trash panda with my Bergara BMR in 22lr 2 coyotes showed up trying to kill 2 fawns that were feeding on the corn. I took a well aimmed shot just behind the shoulder for a heart/lung shot at approx 65 yards. It spun around and took off and a few minute later I seen it slowly walking away which I knew it will die a miserable slow death which is fine in my book. It has not been seen on camera anymore so it certainly died. You bet I wished I had my AR 223. If you not going to recover em then it doesn't matter.
Maybe. I've seen them with some pretty nasty wounds that had healed. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to know that coyote is out there right now looking for a mate. They are tougher than any whitetail you'll come across..

Maybe. I've seen them with some pretty nasty wounds that had healed. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to know that coyote is out there right now looking for a mate. They are tougher than any whitetail you'll come across..
Its mate is still around. All year they were a stuck together pair so anything possible. Waiting for them to hit the carcass bait pile so I can nukem but warm weather is making things wait.

Since you mentioned .204 I'll chime in with my experience with one. Have a Ruger M77 MKII in .204 that loves 40gr vmax. Shot a good number of coyotes with it and not had a single run off. Such a fun, flat shooting rifle. Highly recommend for coyotes if you're looking at it.

My current rifle is a 6 arc, but working on updating the 204 and start using it again.

yes I have, and a 22 Mag. However I don't disagree a 204-223 are all better rounds, however the OP and his post and worries seem that a center fire is a bit or could be a bit spicy depending. however, I would love to watch some spot and stalk on some open area coyotes lol

Last edited: