• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trying to figure out what rifle this is.

eddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
NoVa
my dad collets C&R rifles, and he picked up this one, but he isnt sure what it is. it is also missing the bolt, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, he and i would appreciate it.

leave370.jpg
leave369.jpg

leave368.jpg

as always, thanks for the help

Re: trying to figure out what rifle this is.

wow that was quick. thanks much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that was quick. thanks much </div></div>

Wasn't very difficult : Steyr 90 and Gew88 (in gothic typo) , left of the action.

wink.gif

Also if you ever get this back into shooting shape be advised if is chambered for the 8mm mauser with the .318 bullet and not the later .323. You can run into higher pressures when using the wrong ammo. I also believe it is a licensed copy of the Mauser <span style="font-weight: bold">88 </span> not the 98 which was a much stronger action. The 88 was generally called the "commission" rifle because it was built from several different designs at the request of an arms commission.

Hold on - that is NOT an M95 Steyr. It appears to be a Gewehr 88 "Commission" rifle, that was made at the Steyr factory for the Germans.

Look here for more info: http://www.gew88.com/

The 1888's fired a variation of the 8x57 cartridge (either the "J" or the "S" - I forget which) which was a .318 bore diameter rather than the .323 of the Mausers. This became a big problem when 88's were fielded alongside 98's and developed a tendency to fail with explosive effect when loaded and fired with the larger rounds.

Without being able to see the bolt, I cannot say for sure, but that does not appear to be an M95, which is a "straight-pull" not a conventional turn bolt.

Any other markings or pictures?

thanks again. i will email my dad to see if he can get me more pics. i snapped these on leave, but im already back so he is going to have to email them to me.

and i think it is the upper one, but i didnt get much hands on time. i will check and see.

It's a Mauser 88 "Commission Rifle" NOT a k98, NOT a mannlicher-schoener, Not a mannlicher-steyr.

FWIW, none of those rifles are the same thing.

I have at least 1 of each except for the M-Schoener. Whomever posted the differences in the 8mm ammo is correct, DO NOT shoot 8x57 Mauser commercial ammo in it.

You need to use light loads with 318 bullets or it's going come apart in a hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also if you ever get this back into shooting shape be advised if is chambered for the 8mm mauser with the .318 bullet and not the later .323. You can run into higher pressures when using the wrong ammo. I also believe it is a licensed copy of the Mauser <span style="font-weight: bold">88 </span> not the 98 which was a much stronger action. The 88 was generally called the "commission" rifle because it was built from several different designs at the request of an arms commission. </div></div>

Remington ammo, is not over sized. It will work in either .318-323 dia. bores OK. If yours has an "S"(spitzer) stamped on the breech area, it means you can safely load .323 bullets in that 88 commission rifle. Some were converted to take the fatter bullet, some not.

Edited to add: I just went back and looked and yours has the "S" stamping.

thanks guys.