• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to fund another rifle

bnoland

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2006
Memphis, TN
Many of you helped me with my last rifle I had and I have since gotten rid of it but I am looking to get another one again. I had a Remington 5R in a .308 which I liked and I was acually at the gun store with a friend to day and they have 2 brand new 5Rs. One is in .308 and the other in .223. Is this rare? I know they are hard to find which is why I am so shocked I found 2 brand new in the store. Should I jump on this? I used to be big into RC racing so I am selling a bunch of my cars to fund a rifle so I dont know how long till I have the money but would love to snag another 5R if I can get my funds together. Thanks guys!

Re: Trying to fund another rifle

you can buy 5r's all day long. They aren't THAT rare.

Unless the price is just amazingly good there is no need to hurry

cool, with that in mind is there any other rifles you would recommend? Is the Reminton 700 Target Tactical worth the extra cheese?

Not much can be better than a 5R for the money with all things considered (stock stainless action and barrel 5R rifleing etc.), as far as factory guns. If I were you and desired a higher level of consistant accuracy, I would save my money and do a custom build.

Take a look at a Savage. I know I'll take jeers for this, but my factory Savage 12 in 223 outshoots any stock Remington I've seen shoot. The money involved can't be beat when you consider what you get out of that $600

If you're not in a big rush, start piecing things together and get yourself a blueprinted action in either Rem or Savage to start. I don't know what caliber you're going to end up with, that's another story altogether, but think about what I said above.

I plan to go with a .308. I like the 5R and I think for the money it would be a good start. I think later on as I need to move up and as money allows I would like to go to a Mcmillan A5 stock. I have also been thinking about saving up for a GAP rifle. Ether the M40A5 or the Crusader.

Do FN and Winchester justice as well....

The older Model 70 Tactical .308s are VERY accurate..

I have had 5R's, PSS's, SPR FN's, and M70 Tactical "Stealth" and the M70 is HARD TO BEAT... their accuracy is VERY reputable. That and you can find them for good prices.

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you reload? If so, skip the 308 and get a 260 or 7mm-08 </div></div>

I dont do my own reloads at this point. I would like to but as of now I dont.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can find 5R's on gunbroker all day long.</div></div>

Don't forget to keep an eye out in the for sale section here as they show up all the time .

Could I piece together a rifle cheaper than buying something? I have a decent knowledge on firearms in general but it may only be enough to get me into trouble. I would like to go with a McMillan A5 stock for sure if I go this route. I have seen a few floating around on here in the $700 range. From what I have seen it looks like I could build one for quite a bit cheaper than I could buy say a GAP M40 for which is what I would like. If I were to go that route what action and barrel would you recommend? I want to go with a .308. Am I off base in my thought or could I get a compairable rifle to a GAP M40A3/5 for much cheaper than ordering a GAP?