• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trying to get into a cheap scope?

mrjimsfc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Centerville, Utah
For those of you who aren't sure you want to spend thousands of dollars on a scope for your new passion (which you may not be so passionate about next month). Check out this scope for only $99.99 with free shipping! For someone who doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend this might be an option. This scope can't be expected to match up to the Nightforce etc. but it might at least get you started.
whistle.gif
I think I'll go expensive myself though. It's hard to go wrong with a top of the line scope.

Re: Trying to get into a cheap scope?

The joke threads are getting old.

Later,
Chrome...

On the off chance you're serious; I cannot recommend a $100 Barska. I've got one of their Varminter 6.5-24x56 that I got ridiculously cheap from Dunhams. I think I paid around $20. On lower power, it's <span style="font-style: italic">okay </span>for it's intended use on a .17HMR hunting rifle. The quality is right on par with a newer Tasco. Higher than say 10x, and the clarity goes right out the window. Also, the turrets are marked .25 MOA, but they are actually .5 MOA.

If your rifle is worthy of a Tasco, maybe consider a Barska. Maybe cheap scopes are actually worthy of discussion for use on rimfire's or ultra-budget hunting rigs. But I'd draw the line at $50 MAX. If I'm spending more than that, I'm gonna up the budget for quality.

Later,
Chrome...

Well Chrome, you have a pretty good point. Never-the-less, I think the prospective scope buyer is better off getting the Barska than at least one of the $900.00 scopes I've seen out there.

I dont recommend Barksa's. I owned two and both of them had the lenses come loose inside causing them to go out of focus. I did not pay much for them and the only good thing was I purchased them from Sportsman Guide and they cover your purchase 100% at anytime after the purchase. The last one was their AR-15 scope and had it mounted on a Colt M4 22lr. So I know it wasnt recoil, just poor workmanship. Not really sure if this is a troll thread, but there you go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think the prospective scope buyer is better off getting the Barska than at least one of the $900.00 scopes I've seen out there. </div></div>

You've must be kidding right?

The other day I purchased a 4-16X Tasco. I took it to a gunsmith who laughed and told me it was trash but he would put it in his fixure anyway.

He has a grid about 100 yards from his table where the fixture is bolted down. He was convinced the crosshair would move with the power change or adjusting the A.O. It didn't. He was sure it would blur out in the higher magnifications. It didn't.

He decided to put it through his recoil test. The zero didn't change. The Tasco cost $70.55 including freight.

To me Tasco is the best scope value to me for money spent. Never the less, my new Tasco shares the safe with Weaver, Bushnell Elite, Swarovski and Leupold.

A side note: I use only Burris Sigature Zee rings. Don't want to damage a good Tasco, you know.

I do have one of these on my savage mk2 .22lr. Thats about the extent of it i dont shoot over 75 yards sometimes a 100. I will admit i tried it on my .308 dont do it, just dont. Guys on her told me not to and i said hell with them. Then the next thing I was sayn was HELL they were all right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Chrome, you have a pretty good point. Never-the-less, I think the prospective scope buyer is better off getting the Barska than at least one of the $900.00 scopes I've seen out there. </div></div>

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

WTF, did y'all not see my best scope thread?

Nope, Send me link

LMFAO, I bet that shoots better than the Barska. I wanna put in a order for 2 TP scopes. One with some paper left on it so i can wipe my ass at the range.

Is Barska paying you to endorse their wares? That is the only possible reason anyone would compromise that much to promote a product.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Counter Sniper scopes? Do yall think those are excellent scopes for the money? They must be since the US military uses them exclusively.. </div></div>
Now exemer is going to get on your case too! How did you pick up so quick on the $900.00 scope I was talking about? Please note! I never said I would buy a Barska (and I haven't either). I just said "if you want to go really cheap....." So exemer, if you want to feel really, really dumb, pay $900.00 for a scope (mentioned above)or one of those Leupolds from e-bay that won't perform any better than the Barska and then try to justify your purchase. If you're going to buy crap, don't pay big bucks for it! On the same count, don't buy a $3000.00 scope, put it on a $300.00 gun and expect miracles.

You've got to be kidding; a lot of my friends are Scout Snipers in the USMC and there IS NOT ONE OF THEM THAT USES THIS SCOPE.

I don't know where you got the info that the military uses Barska scopes exclusivley but somebody is full of crap. If I misread your post then please excuse me but I know a whole lot of MARSOC Marines and they do not use these cheap ass scopes.

Note that "In da weeds" is being sarcastic! He's also talking about the "Countersniper" scope that sells for around $900.00 and not the Barska that sells for much less. In any case I rather suspect that any of your MARSOC friends would rather use open sights than either of the above mentioned scopes.

Wow I am new to this forum but in my wildest dreams never imagined anyone would endorse a Barska for anything. Guess it takes all kinds.

I thought the idea was to buy a scope that matched the cost of the rifle. Like my cheap hunting combo of a Savage Axis in .308 with the Millet TRS-1.

Get a ss10x from swfa and save up for the mk 4, ior, nf, ss10xhd or new ss5-20xHD, weaver, bushnell, or PST.

John