• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to get rifle velocities out of a pistol...

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
My 'Smith called me the other day and said he had something I had to see. He said he has an XP 100 in 260Rem that someone tried to get rifle velocity out of. Ya, that pegged my interest so I headed to his shop.

I dont know the particulars of the load, but the owner mentioned something to the 'Smith about using a max 308WIN load with the same weight bullet as he was using in the 260!!!!!!

He told the 'Smith that this was the first shot with this load and the bolt wouldnt open! LOL! I fucking geuss not! The 'Smith had to pull the bbl off to get it apart.

The case with part of the bolt nose permantly attached!
PDOG09097-1.jpg

PDOG09098.jpg

PDOG09099.jpg

The Bolt-
PDOG09100.jpg

PDOG09101.jpg

PDOG09102.jpg

The Primer-
PDOG09103.jpg

I was there when the owner came to pick up his prized piece... He seriously asked if he should pull the remaining 4 rounds of this load!

Then mentioned sending it back to Remington. He asked how long it could take for them to get it back to him. 'Smith said a few weeks to a few months. He didnt like the latter, and said he needed it for deer season, and would toss in the bolt out of his Rem Model 7!!!!!!! We both nearly fell to the floor, and quickly advised him NOT to do that!

Looks like those 3 rings of steel saved his ass!!!!!!

Re: Trying to get rifle velocities out of a pistol...

wow how long was the barrel on that thing, and you will never be amazed at the stupidity of a few people in this world

Re: Trying to get rifle velocities out of a pistol...

I fear that this XP100 owner has already passed along his genes...

Incredible that the thing didn't come totally apart on him. He's very lucky.