• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to make a better match So Cal

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
Sorry for the confuseion on the title but here is my dilema.
I am an active duty Marine, stationed on Camp Pendelton In So Cal.
My club has long range matches as well as practice sessions. On the vary same range that Snipers train on, 10 fireing points and 100 yard lanes all the way back to 1k. My question is for the shooters, what would make matches better. What I mean by that is what would you like tosee offered. Any and all ideas would be awesome.
All matches are governed by NRA rule.

I have thought of haveing the following set up for practices:
Target set at 300 yds forboresightting/zeroing.
Chronograh
target stand set to check loads conduct "OCW or ladder test"
Spotters available to assist new shooters.
I don't know the ins and out about posting for the Club on the hide,so if you are interested PM me or shoot me an email.
I'm just trying to get it so that when folks come out to shoot, they leave statisfied with the conduct of the range.

Memo

Re: Trying to make a better match So Cal

What range do you shoot at? I've been meaning to shoot in So. Cal just haven't been able to get away and head down there yet.

We shoot on range 117 for all long range stuff and range 103 (max 600 yards) for service rifle and match rifle stuff both are on Camp Pendelton. Both ranges are about a mile apart

How about a game of horse or pig for a bit of friendly compition? Have various sized reactive targets out on the range (steel), at different ranges. You know, same game we used to play on the basket ball court as kids.

the best square box range match EVER is run by the norcal guys up in Sacramento ....contact Vu

what makes the match so good and challenging, is the very experienced people that run the match.....not the real estate itself......

a gun range is a gun range is a gun range.....it is the challenge thought up by the match director and his staff that make it run well.

Memo

You say all the matches are run according to NRA rules. Does that mean you are just running XC matches on the 600 and Palma matches on the 1K range? Or are you doing some kind of tactical match?

BoltRipper, I hear you about the range being really real estate, but my goal is to get input from various shooters and see what they would add or take away, as well as to add my ideas, after all I believe that if the shooter is not happy why should they return. I consider myself to be somewhat profficient,I know a thing or two about a thing or two
smile.gif

PthFndr-Ca
We do run XC on the 600 yard range, but also run MidRnge (3,5,6) as well as 3x6 shoots. This way anyone can come out an shoot. As well as have prac sesions where shooters can practice different things or do load developement.
the 1k range is palma or 3x 1k as well as practice.
we have some different shoots comeing up, pm me for more details, as well as for the tactical shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot on range 117 for all long range stuff and range 103 (max 600 yards) for service rifle and match rifle stuff both are on Camp Pendelton. Both ranges are about a mile apart
</div></div>

I just EAS'd last August, and the range I shoot at only has targets out to 600. Would I be able to come down to Pendleton and shoot, or do you still have to be active? I'd like to drop by the Schoolhouse and see some of my old instructors too, if they're even there still.

Range 117A, best range I know of for learning how to read wind. When I was at school, we once had guys drop smoke at every 100 yard line just to get a good visual of what the wind was doing at each yard line. Wind blowing every which way haha. With all the cuts and valleys feeding into the range, it was a bitch when you got back to 800-1000.

Come on down, the club that I am a part of is open to all civilians, active duty, retieres. so grab a gun and come out, we will have prac next month in May.
memo