• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trying to match barreled action color to AICS FDE

The Zebra

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Louisiana
I am rebarreling my Rem 700 and while that is getting done, I want to Duracoat the barreled action, scope base and rings in FDE to match the AX skins. My problem is that I really don't like the mismatched FDE shades from some brands. See "diarrhea color palette" below. Can anybody tell me (or better yet, show me) a color that will match the AX FDE as closely as possible? IS THE DURACOAT "AI FDE" REALLY A TRUE MATCH??? THAT WOULD MAKE THIS REALLY EASY. I am not using a Schmidt so I don't care about that shade. I just want the barreled action to accurately match the AICS AX chassis in FDE.

The Cerakote match is H-250 A.I. Dark Earth.

Its a very close match, but the issue your going to run into with any color is that sheen/luminocity matter and the sheen on the AX chassis plastic will be different from the sheen of H-250 applied to metal, no matter how you mix it. Which is why I prefer to coat the whole package.

The Cerakote match is H-250 A.I. Dark Earth.

Its a very close match, but the issue your going to run into with any color is that sheen/luminocity matter and the sheen on the AX chassis plastic will be different from the sheen of H-250 applied to metal, no matter how you mix it. Which is why I prefer to coat the whole package.
Ernie!!! What's up my man??

I've got an AI AX coming in here in the next week or so and was actually about to email you on this very issue. A quick SH Google search, and bam, here you pop up!

Any chance you wanna Cerakote my AI so we can show off some pics?? :)