• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trying to pick first scope MK5 vs RZ3

Natetron

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2024
Minnesota
So I have looking at building my first long range gun. I have been lurking in here for the past couple months. I have been searching threads and watching videos. My plan is to do a 6.5 CR and leaning towards the Seekins Hit. I live in MN so not many long range spots. Sounds like there is one or 2 that go out to a 1000yrds but not close and have to be members. Most likely will be shooting 200 to 600 yrds for the majority of the time. Most likely won't be doing comp and won't be hunting. I just enjoy shooting and have always wanted to learn how to shoot long range.

So I have been looking at the Mark 5 and the Vortex Razor 3. I was originally wanting the 35x but now not sure I need it. So the 25x might be enough. I was also looking at NF but was trying to keep under 3k and was really hoping to be spend around 2.5k.

I am also debating if I need or want the illumination, it adds to the price if go with the mark 5. I want to go MIL, but a little confused on what style tree I want. The mark5 has many different variations. I was looking at the H59, not sure if that is a good route to go or not. If I went the Vortex route it seems like there isn't as many options but the one I see looks good.

Reactions: Compadre and JAC0X
I’d second looking for a used ZCO. They can be had for around $3K and I’ve even seen a couple at $2900.

You honestly can’t go wrong with any of the options, the MK5 is the most lacking on hood reticle choices. Their PR2 doesn’t have .2 hash marks which is lame so you basically have to go to a Horus and pay that licensing fee to get that feature. The ZCO, NF, and Vortex have far better reticle options.

I’d probably go with the razor between all of them if you don’t mind the weight. The HIT isn’t a light rifle and has some meat up front but with a 3lbs optic you’ll probably still need to hang some weights up front to get the perfect balance off a bag. Not an issue if you don’t mind a heavy rifle, but just be aware.

The HIT is a great rifle, that’s next on my list of rifles to buy.

Don't go for a Horus reticle. They add to cost and are not needed. Get a decent tree style reticle.

As for the scope, do you want to spend that much money? You know you don't need to to do what you want right? I know I will be roasted at the stake by the "ZCO or die!" crowd but figured I would take my chances and offer up some less expensive options. ;)

You can look at the Zeiss S3 4-25x50 which Euro is running a special in they pay sales tax so would be $2299.

Or the Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50 for $1494. Has a nice reticle and glass.

Just a couple options for the less wealthy of which I am one. LOL If you are LE/Mil/Vet/First Responder you can get better deals also.

There's a ZCO 527 that just got bumped up to the first page for $3200 with like $300 worth of rings and extras.

There's no way in hell the Zeiss S3's are worth normal retail price. I felt that way after just checking them out at a store a couple years back and now owning one that feeling is only reinforced. They are not worth $2300. My 4-25 is more like a 4-18 because of how tight the eyebox is on the top end. I'd probably buy it again at the $1725 OTD sale price with level and throw lever from MKM, but more than that and you're paying too damn much for that scope and you can do better for the money. Doing it again I would buy the 6-36 though but I still would only buy that at the 25% off sale price that just ended. They're just not worth their normal retail price compared to what else is out there.

Reactions: Natetron
There's no way in hell the Zeiss S3's are worth normal retail price. I felt that way after just checking them out at a store a couple years back and now owning one that feeling is only reinforced. They are not worth $2300. My 4-25 is more like a 4-18 because of how tight the eyebox is on the top end. I'd probably buy it again at the $1725 OTD sale price with level and throw lever from MKM, but more than that and you're paying too damn much for that scope and you can do better for the money. Doing it again I would buy the 6-36 though but I still would only buy that at the 25% off sale price that just ended. They're just not worth their normal retail price compared to what else is out there.

Well they just came out a little over a year ago so...... LOL But everyone has their opinions. I don't see a tight eye box and the glass is as good as anything in that same price range so it just falls down to the features and reticle as with most scope decisions. Those 25% off deals were a steal on both the scopes and were less than EV pricing. You can also find them used for a good price. I think there was a 6-36 in the PX for around $1900 if I remember correctly. Just figured I would throw him some good options less than $3k. But as I figured the poor is getting burned for being a heretic in the ZCO church! LOL

Reactions: Natetron and FuhQ
So I have looking at building my first long range gun. I have been lurking in here for the past couple months. I have been searching threads and watching videos. My plan is to do a 6.5 CR and leaning towards the Seekins Hit. I live in MN so not many long range spots. Sounds like there is one or 2 that go out to a 1000yrds but not close and have to be members. Most likely will be shooting 200 to 600 yrds for the majority of the time. Most likely won't be doing comp and won't be hunting. I just enjoy shooting and have always wanted to learn how to shoot long range.

So I have been looking at the Mark 5 and the Vortex Razor 3. I was originally wanting the 35x but now not sure I need it. So the 25x might be enough. I was also looking at NF but was trying to keep under 3k and was really hoping to be spend around 2.5k.

I am also debating if I need or want the illumination, it adds to the price if go with the mark 5. I want to go MIL, but a little confused on what style tree I want. The mark5 has many different variations. I was looking at the H59, not sure if that is a good route to go or not. If I went the Vortex route it seems like there isn't as many options but the one I see looks good.
You can get a black Razor G3 from EuroOptic for $2449 right now…

I am in a similar boat as you. Just bought an aero precision Solus and have been looking on here religiously for a nice used scope. I like the Leupold Mark 5 HD but it looks to me like Nightforce or Vortex are better options.

At 1000 yards, I think 25x would be plenty and 35x would be overkill. I used a friend’s rifle last week and at 1000 yards, 25x was plenty. Going further out, my eyes like 35x more.

Going further out, my eyes like 35x more.

Actually I feel the opposite. I like the higher power when in closer trying to sight in or shoot groups but going to 1000+ I use lower powers at 25x and under. That's why we all have to buy for what we like.

Well they just came out a little over a year ago so...... LOL But everyone has their opinions. I don't see a tight eye box and the glass is as good as anything in that same price range so it just falls down to the features and reticle as with most scope decisions. Those 25% off deals were a steal on both the scopes and were less than EV pricing. You can also find them used for a good price. I think there was a 6-36 in the PX for around $1900 if I remember correctly. Just figured I would throw him some good options less than $3k. But as I figured the poor is getting burned for being a heretic in the ZCO church! LOL

Clock just ticked over to 2024 and they came out some time 2022. It was fall 2022 when I saw one in the wild in GA.

If you don’t think the eyebox is tight on the upper end then we have two very different ideas of what a good eyebox is because this thing is ass above 18x and numerous other people who have bought them have also complained about the eyebox. I’ve owned a lot of 5-25 optics and some are more forgiving than others but this one is one of the worst I’ve seen on the top end.

Clock just ticked over to 2024 and they came out some time 2022. It was fall 2022 when I saw one in the wild in GA.

If you don’t think the eyebox is tight on the upper end then we have two very different ideas of what a good eyebox is because this thing is ass above 18x and numerous other people who have bought them have also complained about the eyebox. I’ve owned a lot of 5-25 optics and some are more forgiving than others but this one is one of the worst I’ve seen on the top end.

Yeah that's technically two years but really about 15 months ;)

We must as I have no problems with the eye box on it even at 25x. I get a clear sight picture without any fighting head position. Maybe we have different mount heights.

As far as the Mk5, I think if I were you I'd stick with the 5-25 over the 7-35. I've had both and believe the 5-25 had better glass. I, like you, am in the "just want to shoot" camp. As far as I'm concerned if you are not doing comps or overwatch or something of a time sensitive nature you're probably going to be dialing elevation and holding wind. This, at least to me, makes reticle choice less important. I've had the CCH reticles in both my Mk5's and they work for me, but if I had it to do over I'd probably just go with a TMR. The CCH reticle makes my head spin after a couple hours. Also, in your real world I doubt you'd need illumination. If you are MIL/ LE or similar you can get good pricing through Leupold's VIP program but sometimes reticle selection is limited. Vortex and others have similar programs.

If I were you I would buy a decent off-the-rack gun like a Ruger Precision, Tikka, Bergara, etc. and a Mk5 or Razor G2. I'd buy the glass used. If you buy this stuff right, you'll be able to sell it off later for not much of a loss. Get a suppressor bought and start the Form 4 clock right away, trust me. Send me a PM and I'll get you started on a place to shoot out to 1000 yds. Shoot a couple thousand rounds that way and then decide what you really want to do.

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat as you. Just bought an aero precision Solus and have been looking on here religiously for a nice used scope. I like the Leupold Mark 5 HD but it looks to me like Nightforce or Vortex are better options.

At 1000 yards, I think 25x would be plenty and 35x would be overkill. I used a friend’s rifle last week and at 1000 yards, 25x was plenty. Going further out, my eyes like 35x more.
My Solus is awaiting a barrel, but I think the new Razor G3 looks good on there. 😏

IMG_2821.jpeg

If you watch the buy/sell page you could likely find a used ZCO 527 for close to that 3k number.
Great adding another to the list of confusion LOL. My only concern is the 3k is really at the top of what I want to spend and not sure I want to buy used. I am not sure what there warranty is like when not original buyer. I do want some kind warranty on something I am spending that kind of money on. I also worry that I will get something someone is getting rid of because there is a little issue, and I might not notice right away, since I am new to shooting and might not recognize the problem. At least if I got something like the vortex and there was a issue I know they will take care of you. Maybe they do with the ZCO, I know nothing about them or there warranty. Defiantly will give them a look.

Yea, I saw that and was what I was kind of thinking about that.
As far as the Mk5, I think if I were you I'd stick with the 5-25 over the 7-35. I've had both and believe the 5-25 had better glass. I, like you, am in the "just want to shoot" camp. As far as I'm concerned if you are not doing comps or overwatch or something of a time sensitive nature you're probably going to be dialing elevation and holding wind. This, at least to me, makes reticle choice less important. I've had the CCH reticles in both my Mk5's and they work for me, but if I had it to do over I'd probably just go with a TMR. The CCH reticle makes my head spin after a couple hours. Also, in your real world I doubt you'd need illumination. If you are MIL/ LE or similar you can get good pricing through Leupold's VIP program but sometimes reticle selection is limited. Vortex and others have similar programs.

If I were you I would buy a decent off-the-rack gun like a Ruger Precision, Tikka, Bergara, etc. and a Mk5 or Razor G2. I'd buy the glass used. If you buy this stuff right, you'll be able to sell it off later for not much of a loss. Get a suppressor bought and start the Form 4 clock right away, trust me. Send me a PM and I'll get you started on a place to shoot out to 1000 yds. Shoot a couple thousand rounds that way and then decide what you really want to do.
I did see a MK5 for 1500 used, but think it was the horrus recticle. I have heard Leapold has a good warranty, not sure how that transfers to second owner. But yea, for me it is more about going and shooting and learning how to do it. I am very busy, so don't know how much I will actually get the chance to driver a hour away and shoot long distance. If I was going to do comp, then I would look at building a custom rifle and get the best of the best glass. At the same time I like quality things so I want something good, but doesn't need to be the best either.

I appreciate everyones input.

Even the brown Razors are about $2550 with the VTX15 code from EO. Though people always seem to imply they can get better pricing so it could be lower elsewhere I don't know.

Pick the scope with features like the best and makes the reticle that makes the most sense to you. Once you go beyond the 1500-2000 tier of scopes, the diminishing returns are noticeable.

Reactions: FuhQ and Natetron
Great adding another to the list of confusion LOL. My only concern is the 3k is really at the top of what I want to spend and not sure I want to buy used. I am not sure what there warranty is like when not original buyer. I do want some kind warranty on something I am spending that kind of money on. I also worry that I will get something someone is getting rid of because there is a little issue, and I might not notice right away, since I am new to shooting and might not recognize the problem. At least if I got something like the vortex and there was a issue I know they will take care of you. Maybe they do with the ZCO, I know nothing about them or there warranty. Defiantly will give them a look.
Check out the ZCO sticky in this forum. ZCO is rock solid. they have spectacular glass and great service.

Reactions: BurtG and Natetron
Get a suppressor bought and start the Form 4 clock right away, trust me.
Forgot to mention, I have a couple Velos's on order and so I will have my Griffin Optimus available. Not the best can in the work, but should work fine for this setup. The can was a little Gassy, but shouldn't matter with a bolt gun.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Nice, how do you like the Solus? That was another rifle I was looking at, but start leaning more torwards the HIT.
Impressed so far. Mine was just an action, so I haven’t shot it yet, just a ton of dry-runs. I pieced it all together, so it’s basically a Solus in a 15” Solus chassis, and will have a 20” bull contour (bigger than Sendero/Varmint) chambered for .25 Creedmoor with the Alpha Legacy reamer. There’s a huge Solus thread over in the bolt action section. Check it out. 👍🏼

Even the brown Razors are about $2550 with the VTX15 code from EO. Though people always seem to imply they can get better pricing so it could be lower elsewhere I don't know.
Yeah, but that rusty shit-brown isn’t my style. 😂 That’s the only reason I haven’t owned any razors until now, after Euro got the black ones. Now if they’ll just make a black Razor G3 1-10x28 LPVO with an exposed locking elevation Razor-style turret in a MIL/MIL setup. 👍🏼

• Haha
Pick the scope with features like the best and makes the reticle that makes the most sense to you. Once you go beyond the 1500-2000 tier of scopes, the diminishing returns are noticeable.
I’d say above $2,500. There’s some noticeably better scopes in the $2,200-2,500 range, compared to the $1,500-2K.

You’ll have no problems if you buy a used ZCO - they’ll take care of any issues. If you called ZCO right now, there’s a good chance you’d speak directly with Jeff Huber himself.
Except those cracked objective lens issues they were having last year…

• Haha
Reactions: Secant
Yeah, but that rusty shit-brown isn’t my style. 😂 That’s the only reason I haven’t owned any razors until now, after Euro got the black ones. Now if they’ll just make a black Razor G3 1-10x28 LPVO with an exposed locking elevation Razor-style turret in a MIL/MIL setup. 👍🏼
I'm with you on that, I own a black Razor G3 6-36 myself.

Reactions: FuhQ
Impressed so far. Mine was just an action, so I haven’t shot it yet, just a ton of dry-runs. I pieced it all together, so it’s basically a Solus in a 15” Solus chassis, and will have a 20” bull contour (bigger than Sendero/Varmint) chambered for .25 Creedmoor with the Alpha Legacy reamer. There’s a huge Solus thread over in the bolt action section. Check it out. 👍🏼
I have read several of the threads on them and also have watched a bunch of videos. I thought about piecing something together, but I know you should have a gun smith do some of that. When you got your Solus did you look at the Hit? If so what did you like about the Solus better.

Sightron S6 or S8 are worth a look and are often forgotten about.
The SIII PLR are probably the best buy in regards to return on investment sub 1500 dollars

I have read several of the threads on them and also have watched a bunch of videos. I thought about piecing something together, but I know you should have a gun smith do some of that. When you got your Solus did you look at the Hit? If so what did you like about the Solus better.
Well, I’ve been doing this type of stuff for a very long time, and built lots of guns, so building a bolt-action with a prefit, that only requires torquing a barrel onto the action and then checking the headspace with gauges, is relatively simple. I already had all the tools, like the barrel vise, torque wrench, etc… so all I needed was the Solus action wrench.

So, that’s a long way of saying, the fact it requires minimal tools, and uses Origin prefit barrels, I’d go with the Solus, even though there are some fancier actions out there, like the CDG…Which might be my next build.

If weight isn't a concern, I vote G3. I have 2, and have had both ZCO and TT, which were both better, but barely. Below the G3 I'd check out the Steiner t6xi - I have the old Burris XTR3's and love those (they were better than the MK5 IMHO) - figure the Steiner is more like the XTR Pro.

I’d say above $2,500. There’s some noticeably better scopes in the $2,200-2,500 range, compared to the $1,500-2K.

I'm looking at it strictly from the context of PRS. A ZCO or TT is not going to get more points for most shooters more points versus a Mk5, G2 Razor or G3 Razor.

My prices may be off a bit versus retail as well.

Razor Gen3 is a better optic than the Mk5 in everyway except weight, which you don't seem to be concerned with.

Find a used one in the PX here for a little over $2k and utilize the savings for ammo and other gear you will find you need/want.

If weight isn't a concern, I vote G3. I have 2, and have had both ZCO and TT, which were both better, but barely. Below the G3 I'd check out the Steiner t6xi - I have the old Burris XTR3's and love those (they were better than the MK5 IMHO) - figure the Steiner is more like the XTR Pro.
Don’t forget the new Zeiss S3. 👍🏼

Razor Gen3 is a better optic than the Mk5 in everyway except weight, which you don't seem to be concerned with.

Find a used one in the PX here for a little over $2k and utilize the savings for ammo and other gear you will find you need/want.
If the OP has MIL/VET/LEO/FR creds, he can get a huge discount on Vortex (and other brand scopes) at EuroOptic on a a new G3…

Reactions: YotaEer
I don't. I know a few but don't know if I want to bug them to do all that for me.
Hell, give them a call and talk to Clay Hawkins in sales. He'll take care of you, and help you pick out the right optic.

If your budget is under $3K, but want to stick around $2,500... The Razor G3, Kahles K624i, NF ATACR F1 5-25 MIL-XT, Zeiss LRP S3 are all solid contenders in that price range.

You can probably get a smoking deal on a Kahles K624i CCW RSW SKMR4 scope. The mfg. SKU number is: 10681. I have a few of them...They're great scopes. 100% Austrian made, with in-house produced SCHOTT glass, amazingly smooth and repeatable turrets and controls. And I'm actually quite fond of the parallax adjustment under the elevation turret. It really grows on you after a while. Also, because it's on there, and not on the side, it makes the scope MUCH thinner width from side to side, which his nice for hunting. Plus, if you plan on running NV or thermal clip-on on it someday, the illumination knob is a continuous smooth potentiometer that doesn't have any individual clicks, so you can really dial it in perfect with your NV and tune it so you don't get blasted with red washout on the reticle. The current generation of the K624i is a solid scope. They used the same glass and lenses as the new K525i, but setup for a different magnification of course (6-24x vs. 5-25x). They're almost the exact same scope, but the K624i can be had for much cheaper than the newer model K525i.

Last edited:
Well I decided to go with the Vortex Razer 3. So now just need a gun to go under it haha. Any recommendations on rings?
ARC M-Brace 34mm, and depending on your gun setup, will depend on your height. Most rifle setups Low rings will clear just fine. But if you go with something like the Christensen Arms MPR that has a full handguard that goes on top of the barrel, you'll need High rings.

So, traditional rifle setup with a 20MOA base, i'd go with these...

If you're going with a chassis style gun that has a covered barrel handguard...

Here’s a little cheat sheet for ARC rings. Instead of the measuring from top of the pic rail to optical center (hard to mock up), I measure from the top of the pic rail to the bottom of the scope.

Using the “Height B” numbers below, stack some biz cards, nickels, condoms, whatever until your scope is Xmm high and see how that feels.

Helps if you have a tripod so you can gingerly get behind the scope as it sits on biz cards etc.

Arc M10 / Mbrace SEPARATE 34mm rings​

SIZEHEIGHT B*
36mm [1.42 in] X-High19 mm
32mm [1.26 in] High15 mm
28mm [1.10 in] Med11 mm
24mm [0.94 in] Low7 mm (6.9 mm)

Arc Mbrace ONE-PIECE 34mm rings​

SIZEHEIGHT B*
38mm [1.50 in] High21 mm
32mm [1.26 in] Med15 mm

* see B measurement, below.
42F5E228-D2F7-4F69-9A4D-58992F16F5B2.jpeg

Measured from the top of the pic rail to bottom of scope (which is obv the same as the bottom of the scope ring’s “circle”)

Last edited:
If you are brand new to this, you might reasonably ask how I got my B height.

Take the manufacturer’s rail top to optical center number and subtract half the diameter of the scope tube.

Example:
ARC Xtra high manuf # = 36mm
Half of 34mm scope tube = 17mm
36 -17 = 19mm for rail top to bottom of scope

I sorta suck at math so hopeful this’ll help a future “me”-type that stumbles upon this post.

Well I decided to go with the Vortex Razer 3. So now just need a gun to go under it haha. Any recommendations on rings?

For a HIT I’d just go with a good one piece 1.5” height mount. Grey ops, Spuhr, NF, a Seekins are all good options.

The chassis has plenty of adjustment for the height and it gets you up off the barrel which helps with image distortion from mirage, if you run the NV bridge to use as a forward position to drive the rifle with your support hand you won’t be trying to look through your hand, and it lets you shoot more straight up.

Natetron forget all that math BS above and do not go with anything below 1" in height with a 56mm objective. And not the "B" number but the actual base to center of tube as most every ring company lists as the height.

If it's a flat top then go right to 1.5" height.

Natetron forget all that math BS above and do not go with anything below 1" in height with a 56mm objective. And not the "B" number but the actual base to center of tube as most every ring company lists as the height.

If it's a flat top then go right to 1.5" height.
Good Sir, you have offended me to my very core.
<white glove slap slap>

1705000279488.jpeg

1705000295372.jpeg

My god I never knew there were so many duel rules.

Anyway, my point, perhaps poorly noted, about the “B” number is because it makes experimenting with the height at home easier, it allows one to quickly find one’s majik number. Then you’re (pretty much) set forever, unless you use a pretty different-type stock.

It came about because I was tired of slowly experimenting by buying rings.

Sort of like ordering shoes on the internet. My god what an agonizing process.

Unless one orders a bracket of sizes, I guess. But that’s a guaranteed return anyway.

Last edited: