• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to prime Black Hills brass

Elxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
Tucson AZ
It's kind of ridiculous. I've smashed 5 live primers trying to prime random shells. They all have a really weird "offset ring" where the primers go. Is that normal? It looks like it came from a machine stamping or something.

I just tried priming other brass with the same primers...worked just fine. I got one primer to go in, but I put so much force into it that it finally "popped" into place...

Any advice? I feel like just throwing the brass away =/

Re: Trying to prime Black Hills brass

Check the brass, its possible it had crimped primers and you will need swage or ream the pockets.

Yea, I have had that same problem with alot of BHA brass. Even after I cut the pockets and ream the flash hole, they are still off, and you kind of have to have a gentle hand and move the brass around in your die while pressing in the new primer..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, I have had that same problem with alot of BHA brass. Even after I cut the pockets and ream the flash hole, they are still off, and you kind of have to have a gentle hand and move the brass around in your die while pressing in the new primer.. </div></div>

I fucking hope not. I just got 700 rounds of Black Hills Match that will need to be reloaded at some point!

Lucky me I only have 20 rounds. I don't have a pocket reamer so I guess I need to go get one =/

As mentioned, if it is a thin ring around the primer pocket then the primers are crimped (one of 3 or 4 types of crimp.) Crimped primers are usually found on mil-spec ammo. If they're crimped you either have to swage the pocket or ream it. Do a google for crimped primers and look at some examples, you should figure it out right away.