• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TSA Lock or Standard Lock?

BruxBarrels

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2010
Lodi, WI
www.bruxbarrels.com
I will be going to Australia in a month for the World Fullbore Championships. I will be using a 1720 to transport my rifle. Just curious what I should use to lock the case. I have read that you HAVE to use a non TSA lock on a rifle case, and I have read the exact opposite. So does anyone have a definitive answer on what exactly needs to be used?

Much appreciated.

Kyle Liebetrau
Brux Barrels

Re: TSA Lock or Standard Lock?

I travel all over the world for work 250 days a year and carry big tool cases with me. Im in New Zealand now. I dont carry guns however. I find that if you use TSA locks, they disappear. I find it best to take the stuff to the scanner yourself, let them run it thru and then stay there and open it up for them to look thru. Once they are done, lock it back up with key or combination lock and press on. If you use a TSA lock, they will leave it off almost every time. They may give you shit about going with your box to open it up, but keep on them about it until they let you. I do it all the time. Good Luck

Found my answer.

Q. Is there a limit to the number of firearms I can take in my checked bag?
A. TSA does not limit the number of firearms in checked baggage. All firearms must be unloaded, packed in a hard-sided locked case, and declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process. For more information about traveling with firearms, please read our Firearms and Ammunition Section.

Q. What is the proper lock that I should use to secure my hard-sided firearms case?
A. Travelers can use a single key or combination lock to which only the traveler has the key or combination, or a TSA-recognized lock. For more information about traveling with firearms, please read our Firearms and Ammunition Web page.

Q. Are TSA-recognized locks permitted for securing firearms in a hard-sided case?
A. Yes. For more information, please visit Traveling with Special Items.

The only thing with using TSA locks is they all have the little key that opens them. If you have the key and only open it to show them on inspection, you wont be worried about them opening your box and fingering your stuff after you walk off. JMHO. Good luck

Prior to this year the guidelines on the TSA site specifically stated that non-TSA compliant locks be used. I am not sure what lead to the change to the guidelines (I figure they made them more vague as to weaken citizens from defending their constitutional rights)but you're allowed to have locks that only you have access to and I strongly recommend doing so.

I have traveled with firearms and have only used non compliant locks and have not run into any problems. Some tips I would have would be to.

1. <span style="font-style: italic">Use non compliant TSA locks</span>
A lock that everyone has a key to doesn't make any damn sense. You are are responsible for anything that happens with your firearm even when your luggage is in the underbelly of the airport being handled by <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic">well screened and well checked employees</span></span> /sarcasm off

2. <span style="font-style: italic">Use a large hard sided case for your locked case even if you are transporting a handgun. </span>
What this does is make it harder for thieves to steal your stuff. If you have a small locked case inside of a larger unlocked one they can simply steal the small locked case and break into it at their leisure in another location.

3. <span style="font-style: italic">Lock your case at all possible times and when you go to the TSA screening area be insistent and polite about watching.</span>
This prevents employees from just taking your stuff and putting it on the conveyor belt unlocked before you have a chance to to make sure its secure. Also if there's any weird rules or whatever the TSA agent wants to make up that day you can deal with it at that time. ( I have been to many airports where they insist the ammunition be in the same soft container as the fire arm and in other airports where they insist it not be in the same soft container a lot of these guys like to make up their own shit. Go figure
crazy.gif
)

<span style="font-style: italic">4. Put your cell number and name on your hard case.</span>
Just in case TSA needs access to your bag again. Sometimes with the 3D scanners they need you to move the ammunition so its not stacked with the gun so they can see it better on the X-ray.
<span style="font-style: italic">
5. Check with your specific airline you're flying with regarding flying with weapons and ammo.</span>
A lot of them have similar rules but differences in how much ammo you're allowed to bring.

A good source of information for flying with guns. Also has reviews for airlines and airports regarding flying with weapons.
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/