• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TSA's reaction to carrying on a scope

Rolex24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
Kentucky
I had a scope shipped to N.O. from SWFA as I'm down there on work weekly and didn't want it left on my doorstep at home. So last evening I go to the airport with my regular carry on items plus a Leupold box with my new 4.5-14 in it. I had only given it a little thought that it could be a problem or raise an eyebrow.

As it goes through the scanner the guy calls his supervisor over for his opinion on whether they can let it go through!!!! Supervisor asks what the problem is and says it's no different than binoculars as the scope isn't attached to anything. The screener says he didn't see a problem either BUT a couple days earlier a different supervisor wouldn't let a guy carry on a scope, reason being...."with all the stuff going on lately....it wouldn't be a good idea"

<span style="font-weight: bold">WTF</span> Way too much power is being given to people who have no common sense. Luckily my situation worked out fine, I went on my way, but if I was the guy that they wouldn't let carry on an optic......well, my frustration with the whole TSA/airport security screening procedures and their lack of consistency would not have been able to be contained...I hate making an ass out of myself in public but sometimes it can't be avoided!

Re: TSA's reaction to carrying on a scope

Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and remind myself it takes all kinds to make the world go around. Then sometimes people's ignorance and stupidity make me loose it. But I agree at least be consistant with the stupidity.

Ha, I feel ya! Try flying with a FOXPRO digital caller in your carry-on. They have NO idea what it is! I do take the batteries out, to prevent any extra Jello from oozing out of their ears. I tell them it is a camo'ed MP3 player, which is a pretty accurate description...

I had the EXACT same problem when I flew out of Sacramento to LV for a match. I decided to pack my NXS 3-15X in my back pack with my laptop and GPS.

My pack goes through scanner and instantly the red light comes on and everything comes to a halt. I knew right away it was going to be one of those days at the airport.

TSA worker calls over the supervisor on the floor and he told me since it goes on a rifle I can have it on the plane. I told him, no read your rules which I have printed out. Nothing in there about optics. + I do not have any rifles checked in...my rifles were sent ground with a friend to LV.

We went round and round before they moved me to another area and called in the floor supervisors, supervisor. He took one look and said whats your problem. Its a rifle scope..so what?

The floor supervisor STILL tried to argue that it belongs on a rifle and cant go on the plane. Luckily he was told to bascially STFU and let me through.

Took 15 minutes to get through....my GF laughed her ass off because she told me this exact thing would happen and I should of checked it. =)

I'm surprised that TSA in N.O. caught it. Last Turkey season, I flew to BNA with a Leatherman in my briefcase (been in there so long, I forgot it was there). No problem getting on the plane in N.O., but I got stopped at the x ray in Nashville on the way home. TSA screener was cool and directed me to a vendor in the terminal that shipped it home for me.

Also, twice I've had gun cases come out of the baggage conveyor belt in N.O., whereas everywhere else, you have to show ID to get it from an employee.

I find it amazing hte inconsistncys in this stuff. I.e. In Wisconsin, a man boarded with a box of shotgun shells, no issues. Then informs the stewardess once he got on the plane he had brought them by mistake, they all deboard and get rescreened, and on their merry way. No issues. No if that was NYC the whole terminal would have been shut down.

I can't take a toe nail file, but I'll be damn, TSA rules allow for me to take a cigar cutter that has two blades that could easy be a karabit.

Don't even get me started about who has to take off shoes. Procedure says everyone, but I'll be damn, if ur a stewardess or pilot, or worker inside the airport, they let them through. Heck, TSA workers go back and forth through the one way exit reporting to work with their lunch bags and backpacks all the time. Security is a joke in Minneapolis

There supposed to be unpredictable, if they weren't loop holes would be found and used against us, get used to it, nothing is going to change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised that TSA in N.O. caught it. Last Turkey season, I flew to BNA with a Leatherman in my briefcase (been in there so long, I forgot it was there). No problem getting on the plane in N.O., but I got stopped at the x ray in Nashville on the way home. </div></div>

If there is something to get upset over this should be it. When security <span style="font-weight: bold">dosen't</span>find something that is what scares me. I am glad security is so thorough that they questioned your scope. If I were a bad guy there are plenty of ways to turn your gas filled scope into a weapon.

As far as everyone being searched like the pilots and flight crew that is a little much. I know a lot of pilots that fly armed. Police can fly armed also and are able bypass security.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought police can only fly armed if on official duty. </div></div>

Not sure about anyone other than Feds here but...

As a Federal Agent you don't stop being an agent outside the hours of 9-5. At least that is what I am told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pack goes through scanner and instantly the red light comes on and everything comes to a halt. I knew right away it was going to be one of those days at the airport.
</div></div>

It could be because Smokin called ahead and gave them a "tip" about a shady character carrying gun parts. Getting back at you for that bolt fluid thing
smile.gif

Ha! Could be. I give that boy a rash of shit each time I talk to him. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

I would totally profile Vu

Man...I do get fucken profiled. Each and every time I fly I got put in that lil area where they search you even more.

I fly in flip flops, shorts, and a T-Shirt most of the time.

Last time I checked it wasn't my peeps (vietnamese) blowing shit up. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought police can only fly armed if on official duty.

</div></div>

Bingo. And there is a "Flying Armed" course you have to attend (required by some agencies, not sure about everyone). The airlines highly suggest dressing down and properly checking your firearm in your luggage, unless extreme circumstances require it. Official Duty doesn't mean you can carry in the plane.

I will tell you smaller airports are generally worse.

I just came back yesterday from RO and was totally stopped up at Corpus Airport and "nothing" went off.

I was pulled to the side for a hand search even though I had no metal. They didn't use a wand but did a pat down. and I do this enough to know not to carry metal on me. Then my camera bag, which I fly with every trip was scanned twice, then even pulled my cameras out and scanned them twice outside the bag and nothing was found to warrant it, they just did the profiling things and took it to the extreme. They even said, "hey we know you have a lot of camera equipment in here, but..." and began to unpack my bag.

Fear is a powerful motivator, as well political pressure makes it even worse.

I have a pretty standard MO when flying and I do it every single month, so this was something brand new that didn't happen in Denver when I left. Nothing there got a second look me included, but Corpus, I got everything but a happy ending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man...I do get fucken profiled. Each and every time I fly I got put in that lil area where they search you even more.

Last time I checked it wasn't my peeps (vietnamese) blowing shit up. LOL </div></div>

But all Asians have guns! Which I find to be pretty much true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I were a bad guy there are plenty of ways to turn your gas filled scope into a weapon.

As far as everyone being searched like the pilots and flight crew that is a little much. I know a lot of pilots that fly armed. Police can fly armed also and are able bypass security. </div></div>

You're kidding right! If I were a bad guy there are a hundred ways that I can turn a thousand things into a weapon. That has nothing to do with weather some rotund fucktard "thinks" its a good idea or not.

And the idea that flight crews and pilots are somehow exempt from posing threats is beyond ludicrous.

Its exactly stupid shit like the scope and illogical double standards that prove how useless TSA really is. At best its window dressing that may get lucky once in a while. At worst its a false sense of security that sucks funds into a black whole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">smaller airports </div></div>

aren't they easier to get clearance from the tower to fly your predator drone back to keeblersville?

This is funny. I just came off Winter Block Leave and had my ATN Gen 3 NVG weapon sight in its SKB case as my carry on and of course they stopped and asked me to remove my video camera from the box.

I said sure.... I'll take my video camera out of its case....

FAA regs are all Weapon Components must be checked.

Doesn't matter if it's a stripper upper, a barrel or a scope.

Just because one let you do it doesn't mean they all will, and if for some reason you have to get re-screened at a layover you may be screwed.

Size of the Airport doesn't matter as much as the attitude of the TSA screeners. My local airport is FAST. They barely glance at your weapon after you declare it. Common sense says if you DECLARED the weapon, why would they need to do a detailed search for weapons. PDX is a different matter. The screwball almost made me miss my flight because he felt the need to do a "white glove" inspection on the weapon I just fired two days before. If it's wasn't for the nice lady putting me in the VIP/Express metal detector line (because she realized I was prior military), I would have missed boarding.

As for LE flying armed, it has to be for a purpose other than "just because". When I fly cross-country FOR WORK later this month, my sidearm will be safely stored away in the belly of the plane allowing me to guess if it will arrive with me at my destination.

Ironically the last time I flew I forgot about the handcuffs in the bottom of my EDC bag. I wondered why it went back through the x-ray for a second trip until I remembered them. I am guessing they didn't ask me about them because my badge carrier was with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I hate making an ass out of myself in public but sometimes it can't be avoided! </div></div>

Making an "ass" out of yourself will almost certainly guarantee that things you don't want to occur happen. If you give them a reason to assert their authority they will. If you are quiet, cool, collected and educated and able to backup your point with THEIR rules and regs then you stand a better chance of making your flight with you luggage.

Here is a list of the airports I have been in since the first of this year: Memphis, Reagen, Charolotte, Ft,Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Miami, Key West, Atlanta and DFW. I can tell you this about all of them the only thing they do consistantly is be inconsistant!

Not only is screening inconsistent, it's frequently useless.

True story - flew out of Prague for London with some colleagues for work, no problems.

Flew back the same day with the same co-workers - at the London airport one of them got stopped going through security - they searched his bag after the xray, pulled out a bottle of soda and made him toss it. Then, as sometimes happens in Heathrow, we ran into a second security screening checkpoint. The same co-worker gets stopped again, they search the same backpack after the xray and this time pull out an 10" bowie knife, that he apparently forgot he had.

He'd managed to clear two checkpoints in different airports and even had his bag hand searched (because of the soda) and no one had noticed a gigantic knife.

Gives you confidence in the screeners, or something...

LoneWolf,

Agreed on keeping your composure, especially in the current climate of air transportation. I fly weekly for work and it just doesn't pay to let your frustrations get the best of you...until you get to a computer and can post them on the forums that is.

Problem is "THEIR" rules and regs. Are FAA prohibited items included on the TSA Prohibited items list?
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

TSA refers to "parts of guns or firearms" can only be checked, not carried on. I see how a trigger, barrel, bolt, firing pin, etc is a part of a gun as they are needed to make a gun fire, however a scope is not.

Regardless, being educated in "THEIR" rules doesn't matter as they don't know their own rules or how to interpret them. When I tried to fly with inflatable life vests and the co2 cartridges for them which are allowed per the link I provided above and which I had a printed copy of as I knew they didn't know the rule. I was denied. I even tried reasoning.....there is a whole plane full of co2 cartridges in the life vests under each seat, nope they still didn't get it. I understand how unpredictability with the TSA can be a good thing but then why have a list of rules if they aren't going to follow them....CONSISTENTLY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man...I do get fucken profiled. Each and every time I fly I got put in that lil area where they search you even more.

Last time I checked it wasn't my peeps (vietnamese) blowing shit up. LOL </div></div>

But all Asians have guns! Which I find to be pretty much true. </div></div>

LMAO...

So what is gonna happen when I can't get up to go piss in that last hour of a flight from abroad ?

Ring the stewardess bell....may I have a piss cup please ?

I travel and fly alot for work. After 9-11 and the air marshall program, it was always funny seeing them pre board first in 5.11 gear with short hair, and every now and then u could see the little IWB holster clip on their belt. Gee I wonder who that is !

My biggest rant is talk about a service industry with no service !

Not to hijack the thread but what is the best way to fly with a scope? I have a pelican case for the rifle is that the best place for the scope? I am flying to Sacramento for Vu's match in May and I was going to take my scope off and put it in my carry on. I have seen the USO video on Utard where they through it several times and its fine, it would just be peace of mind for me that my expensive glass is right there with me not getting kicked around, dropped, crushed ect. where I cant see it.

Just leave your stuff together and use a decent case... nothing will happen.

A pelican / storm / starlight all work to protect the entire system. just leave it together in the case and be done with it. Don't over think the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I were a bad guy there are plenty of ways to turn your gas filled scope into a weapon.

As far as everyone being searched like the pilots and flight crew that is a little much. I know a lot of pilots that fly armed. Police can fly armed also and are able bypass security. </div></div>

You're kidding right! If I were a bad guy there are a hundred ways that I can turn a thousand things into a weapon. That has nothing to do with weather some rotund fucktard "thinks" its a good idea or not.
</div></div>

That is exactly my point. I was saying I am glad they are looking at everything. The scope did get carried on, which I also believe it should. My whole thought is I am glad they at least looked at it.

You can't honestly tell me that there should be less security at airports.

I agree 100% that it need to be more consistant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TSA refers to "parts of guns or firearms" can only be checked, not carried on. I see how a trigger, barrel, bolt, firing pin, etc is a part of a gun as they are needed to make a gun fire, however a scope is not.</div></div>

A magazine is not REQUIRED to make most weapons fire, however it IS a "firearm part" by definition.

A rifle scope while not required for most weapons IS a firearm part due to the fact that it is designed and intended by the manufacturer to be installed on a firearm. This is where we get into problems.

If you want to fly with a rifle scope, then simply bubble wrap the hell out of it and place it in the middle of your luggage surrounded by clothing. Otherwise you run the risk of having to try to mail it home from an airport.

As for what powers TSA officials have...I am not entirely sure. I don't know if some have powers of arrest or if they have to have the local police arrest you. I can most certainly guarantee they can make it so you don't board your flight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reynolds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you this about all of them the only thing they do consistantly is be inconsistant! </div></div>

I know what you mean. I was at the airport yesterday and as I was about to go through the metal detector, the TSA agent said, I don't want to see your boarding pass or ID. Put that through the xray. And I replied with, but all other airports say to keep your boarding pass and ID when going through the metal detector while carry-on luggage is going through the xray.

The TSA agent had to keep yelling to tell each and everyone to put their boarding pass and ID away. Kinda hard after your luggage is already getting x-rayed. What a mess of a line that TSA agent caused.

technically you do not need to show ID to board a plane if you are a US citizen. U just have to go through a secondary ID confirmation with some personal information.

I've lost ID on business trips, and was wondering how I would board my plane. Just a background check, and a few calls in a room. No issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you want to fly with a rifle scope, then simply bubble wrap the hell out of it and place it in the middle of your luggage surrounded by clothing. Otherwise you run the risk of having to try to mail it home from an airport.</div></div>

I can't agree here. I've had too many high dollar items stolen straight out of my suitcase. Anything expensive gets shipped or carried on for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That is exactly my point. I was saying I am glad they are looking at everything. The scope did get carried on, which I also believe it should. My whole thought is I am glad they at least looked at it.

You can't honestly tell me that there should be less security at airports.

I agree 100% that it need to be more consistant.
</div></div>

I am not against increased security. What I am against is the increase in song and dance to employ the handicapped in a completely ineffectual endeavor that results in nothing more than increasing costs and inconveniences customers. But I think it is very evident that much of what has been instituted is not in an effort to be effective rather it is done for the sole purpose of comforting the sheep.

What happened in the above example does not qualify as security. If you want to increase security at airports so be it. Hiring a a bunch of fucktards that don't know their own policy and procedure is not increasing security.

I could list example after example as many have done in this thread. Each example reaks of imcompetence, stupidity, and a serious lack of any basic knowledge as it relates to discovering a threat. Do you honestly think that someone who wants to blow up a plane can't outsmart some dipshit who still believes in cop killer bullets.

If you want to really confuse them take a pistol in a locked hard case (as per both airline and TSA regs) and put the aforementioned locked hard case in your soft sided luggage. That decision matrix causes no end of confusion in trying to determine whether or not the pistol is still in a locked hard case. It would actually be pure comedy if it wasn't so tragic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a metal knee, boy do they get pissed,
</div></div>

There was a guy once with a plate in his head, must have emptied pockets and went through the scanner five times...then the wand finally and it beeped on his head. "Oh, I forgot, I've got a steel plate in my skull"

Not sure how that slips your mind....

I just flew home from Las Vegas, via American and they had no trouble with a Falcon 4-14X44 that I carried on. I was out there on vacation and met up with another hide member to buy his scope. I made it thru security with no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a metal knee, boy do they get pissed,
</div></div>

There was a guy once with a plate in his head, must have emptied pockets and went through the scanner five times...then the wand finally and it beeped on his head. "Oh, I forgot, I've got a steel plate in my skull"

Not sure how that slips your mind....</div></div>

Not sure how that slips your mind? I think you just answered your own question.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought police can only fly armed if on official duty. </div></div>

Not sure about anyone other than Feds here but...

As a Federal Agent you don't stop being an agent outside the hours of 9-5. At least that is what I am told.
</div></div>

It is solely up to the pilot of the bird. If he wants to allow you to fly armed then you can, otherwise Federal agent or not anin't getting on the plane with a gun if you ain't on official business. Before 9/11, LEO would just go to local airport show credentials and be bypassed up to the plane to meet the Captain, then they would usually put you in First Class, but not no more. N.O. airport has atrocious security, I flew to Birmingham a few years back, completely forgot I had my Microtech auto-folder in my pocket. Got off in Birmingham, put my hand in my jean pocket and said "Oh shit!" had to mail it to myself, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it from someone who deals with the TSA on a daily basis, this is what your dealing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0 </div></div>

You nailed it; I hate to say this, but the caliber people that they hire make mall cops look pretty high speed. We had an officer get fired from our Department for payroll fraud, TSA hired him made him a Supervisor. I prefer to drive

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember....

You can't professionalize...unless you federalize... </div></div>

Hahahahaha