• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TT 315M, Educate Me Please.

lancetkenyon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Glendale, AZ
Start by saying I am no rookie on high end glass. I have a few already.

S&B PMII 5-25x56 DT
S&B PMII 3-20x50 MTC
Kahles K624i Gen 3 6-24x56
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56
Vortex Razor Gen I 5-20x50
Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56
SWFA SS 5-20x50

But I am in the process of building a lighter weight hunting rifle, and I am trying to finalize my optic choice. I had it narrowed down to either the March 3-24x52 or Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50. Looking at the Tangent Theta 315M has peaked my interests. It weighs in at 27.7oz, so in between the March and AMG. So weight is right in line. Knowing the reputation of the Tangent Theta glass, I have a few questions to help cloud my decisions even more. Magnification is not quite the same as the other two, but I think a 15X would still be plenty for hunting out to 800-900.

So for anyone who has one, can you answer a few questions for me?
Rifle will either be a .280AI or 6.5-06AI. So shots on deer to 800-1000 max.

For the elevation adjustment, they state 18MIL of elevation, with "12MIL of usable". If mounted on a 20MOA Picatinny, how much elevation do you actually get? Can you get 12MIL of elevation after you zero, meaning you get two full rotations after zero? Or is it only 12MIL of total elevation, meaning depending on your zero, you might only get 9MIL up? 6MIL should get me to 900 to 1000, but I sure wouldn't want to limit my dial up if I want to shoot further on steel or coyotes.

How is the glass? Comparable to the 315P or 5-25P? Same glass? Lower tier optic?

I actually happen to have all 3 of those scopes. And I've had other high end optics S&B, NF, Leupold, etc. To me the TT315M is my absolute favorite scope in terms of the turret feel, controls, build quality etc. I feels like it could survive anything. The glass quality is the best over ever seen bar none (including my SB 5-20US) and the FOV is the best I've ever seen on something in this mag range (including my 3-18 razor ii)
Having said that, my main gripe is the gen2xr. My favorite reticle of all the ones I've used is the EBR-7. If I could have that in my TT it would be the perfect scope for me. In the 3-15x for my eyes the Gen2XR is really only useable between 10-15x so if I would've known that, I would've gotten the gen 2 mildot reticle, and unfortunately TT does not do reticle swaps as I've already contacted them to see if they would. My understanding is that TT uses the same glass across all their models.
I love this scope so much I'm considering selling my March and AMG to fund a TT525.
Hope that helps.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I second everything Covert just said! Also own all 3, and had the same problem with the Gen2 Xr on my 315M, ended up selling it and buying same scope but with Gen2 mildot. As far the 315M goes you won't regret it ..the glass and turrets are so perfect it's crazy! And yes with a 6mil/20moa base you will get all 12mils to play with. I've tried them all dude, only other scope I adore and still have one is an S&B 5-20x50 ultra short.

Also yes glass is the same on all three, only difference is the P series have the larger tool less turrets. And of coarse much heavier with 34mm tubes.

I use mine primarily for varmint hunting ( hogs,javelina,yotes,bobcats,fox,etc.) and have had shots from 50yds. to 550yds. using the whole 3-15 magnification range both illuminated and non illuminated and am very impressed with the scope. With rifle zeroed and a 20moa base I can dial 11.1 mils of elevation. I tried the AMG but the EBR-7 reticle under illumination was just to much even at lower setting`s and would wash out the varmint so for me the Gen. 2xr and it`s simplicity works perfectly. It sits on a 22-250 now but I would have no problem putting it on my 6.5 SAUM and going out to a 1,000yrds. I hope this helps!

We have TT315M with both GenIIXR and GenIIMD in stock. If you have any questions, just give me a call. :)

------------------------
sig1.jpg

Reactions: 5RWill
I've spent a lot of time with the TT315M and, using a 20MOA base, I have the full two turns (12mrad) available. Ultimately, that depends on your receiver and mounting setup.
As I said in the last High End Tactical article I wrote, this is easily my favourite scope of the bunch. There are a couple of things I would change with the reticle, but it is perfectly usable as is, and I have a lot of mileage with it.
ILya

Thinking about using mine in a PRS style comp with a .260 rem. Do you think the limited elevation or mag range would limit me?

I've spent a lot of time with the TT315M and, using a 20MOA base, I have the full two turns (12mrad) available. Ultimately, that depends on your receiver and mounting setup.
As I said in the last High End Tactical article I wrote, this is easily my favourite scope of the bunch. There are a couple of things I would change with the reticle, but it is perfectly usable as is, and I have a lot of mileage with it.
ILya

The NF 4-16 would be another with fine glass that I would be thinking about... Tough as nails and good repeatability with a rock solid warranty and following.

Thinking about using mine in a PRS style comp with a .260 rem. Do you think the limited elevation or mag range would limit me?

I doubt it.

What is the longest distance you might shoot there? 12mrad takes my 6.5Lapua out to a bit further than 1200 yards.

If you are willing to use the turret together with the reticle, you will reach further yet.

Ilya

Here's a reference pic thru my Premier Lite Tac w/ Gen 2 Mildot reticle on 15x, deer @ ~800yds: [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i12.photobucket.com\/albums\/a228\/fredo411\/IMG_2304_zps1afksl2u.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Naturally, holding an iPhone behind the scope is not going to provide the same crispy real life view. Just sharing to note the usability of that reticle @ 15x on a deer. Can even see the one on the left has 'spikes'. Pretty distinct, despite it being first light, and a shitty camera pic?

I've used that scope successfully on deer, out to 655yds, and that was well within the capability of that optic.
Would imagine the TT 3-15M glass to be at least as good, or better?

Would imagine the TT 3-15M glass to be at least as good, or better?
The glass/experience through the optic is better indeed. However the biggest improvements are in the turrets themselves. The TT315M received a monumental upgrade in turret ergo's/clicks as well as standardized illumination.

------------------------
sig1.jpg

The glass/experience through the optic is better indeed. However the biggest improvements are in the turrets themselves. The TT315M received a monumental upgrade in turret ergo's/clicks as well as standardized illumination.
Hey Orkan can you confirm the glass in the 315M is the same as the 5-25P? Because I read Killswitch's review and he said the glass was better in the 5-25. I'm just wondering if it is in fact better glass or maybe it was something else that gave him that impression. Cause if it does have better glass that's even more of a reason for me to upgrade lol

Last edited:
Im interested in the TT315M,Just wondering how far 12 mrad will take a 223 ai with 75 gr amax out to.Also what height rings are you guys using on the 315m,I have a couple of pairs of seekins low height rings.

How fast are you launching them?

At close to sea level where I am, 75gr A-max launched at around 2700fps uses up around 12 mrad of elevation to get to right around 950 yards. However, it goes subsonic right around 800 yards, so I have not shot it much beyond that. To get to 800 yards was right around 8 mrad if I remember correctly with a 200 yard zero.

Low Seekins rings might work on some rifles (it depends on how high your base is and how thick the barrel is), but it may be a little tight. The bottom of the objective bell is about a third of an inch below the top of the base. If your rifle has enough clearance for that, you are good to go. Otherwise, you need taller rings.

ILya

The Premier LT and TT 3-15M are awesome hunting scopes. I have 2 Premier 3-15 LT, a Premier Heritage 3-15, and a Premier 5-25. I agree the Gen2XR is only usable in the 5-25. If you end up getting a 3-15, I recommend the Gen2MD reticle. Another scope I really like is the Hendsoldt 4-16. The eye box is INCREDIBLE but reticles are limited.

I never shot with the Gen2XR,I was wondering why it is usable with the 5-25 but not the 3-15.Just asking.

I never shot with the Gen2XR,I was wondering why it is usable with the 5-25 but not the 3-15.Just asking.

On the 3-15, the subtensions are so thin they’re hard to see at 3x from what I remember with my Premier 3-15.

On the 5-25, the scope is generally used at higher power so doesn’t matter as much.

if I remember correctly, the subtension thickness is also different between the 5-25 and 3-15 iterations of the gen2xr. Thinner on the 5-25.

i preceded the gen 2 mil dot on the 3-15 myself. I had it on a light Tactical and it was great.

I think the Gen 2XR is just fine in the 3-15×50 myself.

If I am at 3x, I am not worrying about the subtensions or holds anyway, as it is for a close (maybe out to 200-300) shot where I am at a minimum point blank range shot and use it as a duplex anyway. For shots over that, I would not take a hurried shot on 3x. I would be cranking up the mag ring a bit and dialing if I had time, or holding over if it was necessary. But anything over 300 that is in need of a quick shot would most likely get a pass, or if I know my drops, just hold Kentucky windage on game.

More than likely, I should have time to increase magnification and probably even dial elevation if it is far enough out that I need a holdover anyway.

The Premier on there now is an interim scope that will go on a varmint AR I have in my safe. A TT315M will replace it once I pay off my CC from buying my wife her 25th anniversary present in June. And the aftermarket parts I got to go on it....she even let me take it on my elk hunt and put a bull in the back of it! What a gal. 25 years, and looking forward to the next 50 with her.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/2017%20Elk%20Season\/20170929_234340_zpsuscu6j10.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Agree with what others have said.. it's a pretty fine reticle.. Not anything wrong with that, but you won't be using the subtensions much below 7x. On low power, it's basically a duplex.. like most FFP reticle.

.856" APA rings here. PM me if you want pics.

I know we posted above. The Tangent Theta are amazing scopes the Premier is close but not the same. I love my Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50mm, I started running it in 2011 and it still going strong.

Here is a video we did no the Premier Light Tactical. Again I feel the Tangent Theta is even better.

Last edited: