• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TT Gen 2 Mil Dot vs Gen 2 XR

HenryTheAce

Pushing Tin
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Michigan
I know reticles are user preference, but I’m wanting a TT315M in either Gen 2 Mil Dot or Gen 2 XR.

I only have experience with the XR and I like it. It’s very fine on low magnification but still looks like a duplex to me.

My concern with the Gen 2 Mil Dot is this…. I’m not a fan of open center reticles with a dot, especially for hunting. I own a few, but let’s just say they’re not my favorite reticle.

Does the Gen 2 Mil Dot with the + center look like an open center on low magnification? I know it’s a thicker reticle than the XR. Thoughts on which reticle for whitetail sized game within 600-700yds and some paper punching.

Last edited:
The Gen2 Mildot in my TT315M does not look like an open center reticle on low. I don’t have the G2XR, so can’t comment there.

Probably not much help, but here’s a crappy cell picture on 3x. Scope is looking through a glass door too (just an FYI).

1631491383542.jpeg

Edit to add: I have an MPCT2 and SKMR3 to compare reticles with open dot centers. The Gen 2 Mildot is noticeably thicker and more solid.

Last edited:
@Secant Nice! I was thinking/hoping it wouldn’t from everything I was seeing and the few threads on reading between the two. That’s good to hear, I have an MPCT2 and SKMR3 as well and even though I do I like them, I prefer a closed center. Those damn dots are hard for me to find sometimes and I’m not even *that* old lol…

edit: do you like the Gen 2 Mils Dot overall?? Use it for hunting at all?

Last edited:
@Secant Nice! I was thinking/hoping it wouldn’t from everything I was seeing and the few threads on reading between the two. That’s good to hear, I have an MPCT 2 and SKMR3 as well and even though I do I like them, I prefer a closed center. Those damn dots are hard for me to find sometimes and I’m not even old lol…

edit: do you like the Gen 2 Mils Dot overall?? Use it for hunting at all?
I bought the TT315M this spring for my main hunting rifle. Rifle season opens soon here, so I haven’t officially used it for hunting yet - only for paper and steel.

Honestly, it took me several years to talk myself into a scope with a Mildot reticle. I like center dots & trees, and I could/would happily use an MPCT2 for hunting (I’ve used a SKMR3 in the past without problems). I specifically purchased the ZComp 4-20 for the hunting rifle that the Tangent has now replaced.

Overall, I think the G2MD will be a good reticle for a hunting scope - particularly in a 3-15 magnification range.

I bought the TT315M this spring for my main hunting rifle. Rifle season opens soon here, so I haven’t officially used it for hunting yet - only for paper and steel.

Honestly, it took me several years to talk myself into a scope with a Mildot reticle. I like center dots & trees, and I could/would happily use an MPCT2 for hunting (I’ve used a SKMR3 in the past without problems). I specifically purchased the ZComp 4-20 for the hunting rifle that the Tangent has now replaced.

Overall, I think the G2MD will be a good reticle for a hunting scope - particularly in a 3-15 magnification range.
Yeah I’m thinking it’ll be the way to go here. Saves me a couple ounces changing my Kahles 318i SKMR3 off my hunting rig for this season. Never hunted with the SKMR3, picked it up in the spring same as you but I’m just gravitating towards closed center reticles. The over shortness of that scope is super nice. I’ll never sell my ZCO MPCT2 though….. well unless they make a closed center reticle maybe.

You put the TT315M on your hunting rig to replace the ZCO to save shed some ounces?

Reactions: Secant
You put the TT315M on your hunting rig to replace the ZCO to save shed some ounces?
Yeah, the ZCO was ironically turning into too much of a compromise on that rifle 😆. The 4-20 is probably my favorite overall package, and I don’t see myself selling it anytime in the near future (if ever).

I think I saved just over half a pound going to the Tangent (10oz if I remember correctly with rings and covers). My main hunting rifle is also a long action and the stock does not have an adjustable comb. The short stature of the ZComp was just proving problematic to get proper eye relief. I’ve considered picking up a manners LRH and taller rings to make it happen, but the Tangent just seems like the better way to go overall for this specific rifle.

If/when Zero Compromise makes a ZCO420H, I would sell this Tangent and get a different stock if needed to make it work **cough** @gebhardt02 **cough** 😬

I love tree reticles for certain types of match stages. I have several mid tier scopes with decent glass that I could hunt with that have tree reticles. I keep going back to the xtrii I ha e with a gen2 mildot. In my opinion it is THE reticle for hunting. It is thick enough to see on low power, the eye is drawn to the center very well, and it is precise enough to make good hits with out to the 6-700 yard distance you stated. I have even used mine to shoot clay pigeons at 800 yards. They would certainly be easier to aim at with a small floating dot, but it was easily doable with the Gen 2 mildot. For a scope that you do not plan to shoot PRS with I really like the Gen 2 mildot.