• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TT or SSA-E trigger Opinion

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Just wondering how the board members fell about the differences I the Trigger Tech vs the SSA-E trigger. Just installed a TT and can't decided which I'll get for my next AR. I've have quite a few SSA-E already just like both.

I just removed a SSA-E and installed a TT adaptable, with dry firing, the TT feels more of a precision type trigger. Not much of a 1st stage as others mention either.

Never shot the SSA-E trigger.

I have 3 or 4 TT. I'm still on the fence. The break is like breaking a thin sheet of glass (like maybe 1/8" - 3/16" thick in the "crispy" department); however, what I do NOT like is that there is little 1st stage take-up and the take-up is VERY light weight. That's a personal preference.

I have a couple of LaRue MBT's and I like the style of the take-up on first stage better...it's longer; but the break is not near as crisp. The TT break is firm, then just breaks, ZERO creep.

I have 2 triggertech diamonds and a few Geissele sd-e/ssa-e, a sd3g & hi speed nm. I don't really like the SD-3G but I really like my other Geissele triggers.

I personally don't consider the triggertech to be a 2 stage trigger in the same sense as a Geissele. .25 lbs of minimal travel is basically just take up/pretravel imo. I for the most part think of it as a single stage with a small amount of take up. Maybe the adaptable has a more noticeable 1st stage but the diamond feels like nothing.

I love them both tbh. The thing about triggertech being adjustable is it allows you to change your pull weight and essentially it's intended purpose. On my AR10 the pull weight is like 1lb 7oz. On my 300 blk it's 2.25 lbs. I like light triggers but you can adjust it up to 4 lbs. So really it's going to come down to your preference, both are phenomenal with a very crisp break. I like both and would be happy with either.

Just wondering how the board members fell about the differences I the Trigger Tech vs the SSA-E trigger. Just installed a TT and can't decided which I'll get for my next AR. I've have quite a few SSA-E already just like both.

It is all preference, the TT is too light on the first stage for my liking. My favorite trigger is the lightning bow Geissele that comes on their SD rifles. I like their SD-E second (I like flat bow triggers) and their SD-C third. I'm not a fan of their three gun trigger.
    It is hard to beat the LaRue trigger for the money though. Doesn't feel quite as good as the Geissele but is half the cost.

Reactions: drewthebrave
    Thanks guys all the pro's and con's mentioned mirror my feelings about the TT Trigger. But I think I'm leaning back towards the SSA-E for my next trigger. The only thing that's keeping me undecided is the Geissele hammer (iv'e installed over a dozen) is such a PIA to install and the TT is a piece of cake.

If the Geissele trigger is a PITA after installing a dozen of them, you are doing something wrong. It's more difficult than an enclosed casette, but difficulty is like a 2 compared to a TT at 1.

I may try the TT on my next build, but the Geissele SSA-E is tough to beat in a precision AR. I have tried others, but keep going back to the Geissele. They are pricey, but none have provided the same balance of safety, durability, reliability, and accuracy.

I may try the TT on my next build, but the Geissele SSA-E is tough to beat in a precision AR. I have tried others, but keep going back to the Geissele. They are pricey, but none have provided the same balance of safety, durability, reliability, and accuracy.
    You might not like the almost non existent first stage on the TT. That was the only thing I didn't care for. I like the distinct 2 stage SSA-E much better. Other than that the TT trigger is real nice.

Reactions: AngryKoala
    It is hard to beat the LaRue trigger for the money though. Doesn't feel quite as good as the Geissele but is half the cost.
    100% agree. The Geissele SSA-E is a fantastic trigger that lends itself well to precision and duty use. If you can only have one trigger for a "do everything" gun, it's hard to beat. But it's a hard sell when you have many rifles that need triggers. When the LaRue is nearly as good for less than half the price, it makes the math really easy. For what it's worth, I have LaRue MBT-2S triggers in most of my ARs.

The TriggerTech is definitely oriented more towards precision, and the short first stage takes some getting used to - but it offers the most crisp & consistent break of any trigger I've used. I use their 3.5 lb Competitive in my SPR and just picked up an Adaptable (2-5 lbs) for my Grendel. I definitely think they're among the top tier of trigger manufacturers, and plan to pick up a Diamond for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AngryKoala