• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb 2000 as tactical comp rifle?

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm getting ready for another build and started thinking of having some spare barrels made so I can switch calibers and/or replace as I shoot them out. Then I started thinking about the care that needs to be taken to take the action out of the stock to change the barrel or other maintenance.

So why not the T2K as my tactical gun? I own one that I shoot in NRA mid and long range matches.

PRO:
1) Barrel/caliber changes easily
2) Barrels (schneider barrels) can be ordered pre-threaded and chambered for about $300.00
3) No bedding to worry about at all
4) Infinately adjustable
5) Anschutz trigger
6) $5000.00 MSRP at Creedmoor Sports Vs. Full custom (I have or have had KMW, TacOps, Surgeon by Allen Warner, TBA)
7) Can be completely disassembled with about 4 tools in about 5min (have video of David Tubb doing it...and he wasn't racing...just deliberate)
8) Has won national championships out of the box (I think it has won the national championships at Camp Perry every year or damn close to it since its inception)...talking about accuracy potential out of the box...

CON:
1) Trigger (is it rugged enough)
2) Stock (is IT rugged enough)

Might of answered my own question....but, any thoughts?

Re: Tubb 2000 as tactical comp rifle?

Why not?! Save your money. Buy ammo. You are already used to shooting it, so go thrash it.

Does it have an ambi cheek pc.?

People have used them but not recently... the issue is, shooting support side in tactical competitions, which the cheek piece is only set up for one side.

used to be a bunch of Spec tac u lars that were used, but you don't see any for a bunch of years.

if you practice moving around with it, and shooting support side with it, you should be able to use it with little trouble.

folks that run the spectaclr in matches got two butt stocks....one for prone, and the other for positional....they bayonet in and out real easy

The AMU have 3 different buttstocks for each of their rifles. One set up per each stage: standing, sitting, and prone, since the buttstocks are infinitely adjustable and set with allen head bolts which would be tedious to adjust between shooting strings with only one stock. This can be expensive but works for the Highpower shooters. You would need to get used shooting off side with the cheekpiece or make an ambi cheek riser yourself.

The weak link is the bolt handle. While it's made well and operates super smooth, it was designed as a comp gun. The bolt handle is located at the end of the bolt body and is very narrow which would suggest it may be too delicate during a rough and tumble tactical or combat setting. There has been rumor that a newer design may be in the works as a "tactical" model which would have the bolt handle moved a little more forward on the bolt body which would strengthen it greatly.

The pistol grip is right handed with a thumbrest. Only a rare, few early models came in a Lefty but had issues with using the Anschutz triggers. While you could put an AR type grip on it, you would need to modify the grip as the "lower receiver" was not 100% designed to be used with an ambidextrious AR type pistol grip. However, an Ergo grip, etc., could be trimmed at the top-back portion. The Tubb rifle has a take-down button just above the grip.

Other than that, I really like these rifles but they weren't really designed to be ham-handed with. A few mods could make these rifles into a super tactical rifle. They are surely accurate enough. Just my .02

I don't know what kind of tactical comps you plan on running but for the Cup and Bash, you wont be able to switch stocks in between stages.

I like the rifles but wont shoot them as I am a left handed shooter.

...Yeah, not a fan of having to have a bunch of specialized equipment (stocks in various configurations etc...) that I need to change as part of a contest....especially if the intent of said contest is to be practical.

I have a great deal of respect for David Tubb and his rifles. However, you need to use the right tool for the job.

There is a video (youtube?) somewhere that shows a Tubb 2000 rifle (an amazing High Power/Across the course rifle) repeatedly failing to fire in a tactical match.

The shooter kept trying to clean it in his uber-dusty shooting position and everything he tried just failed. I think he finally got the shot off, but he blew LOTS of time (and maybe a head gasket or two) just to send one bullet down range. It's really ugly to watch.

Should have banjo music from Deliverance playing in the background ...

deliverance_guitar.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tac T2000.... </div></div>

I've seen that before....I think it's basically the same as my long range T2K except it's painted black, brown, real tree..

If its the same rifle (except color and muzzle break) it will be just as suseptible to malfunctions. It sounds as if may just not be the right tool for this particular job...although, I do love the PROs that I listed initially and I bet that in the long run it would actually be cheaper than one of my full customs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a great deal of respect for David Tubb and his rifles. However, you need to use the right tool for the job.

There is a video (youtube?) somewhere that shows a Tubb 2000 rifle (an amazing High Power/Across the course rifle) repeatedly failing to fire in a tactical match.

The shooter kept trying to clean it in his uber-dusty shooting position and everything he tried just failed. I think he finally got the shot off, but he blew LOTS of time (and maybe a head gasket or two) just to send one bullet down range. It's really ugly to watch.

Should have banjo music from Deliverance playing in the background ...

deliverance_guitar.jpg
</div></div>

The video mentioned above can be found here: http://demigodllc.com/video_serve.php?id=ss-rifle-fail

Look here , http://demigodllc.com/video_serve.php?id=ss-rifle-fail , Rifle Reliability Highlights from CMG 2008 Steel SafariThe Steel Safari is a field, long-range practical rifle match held in the New Mexico desert. The environment is dusty, sandy, and dirty, and 2008 had wind gusting from 15 mph up to 35 mph. This video shows footage of three rifles which had reliability problems due to the conditions (Tubb 2000, Surgeon, and Winchester), and contrast them with an Accuracy International AWM. (Added: June 16, 2008)

just so internet myth don't get too jones'd up here.....

someone that don't got much glass and trigger time on these thoroughbred guns and then takes them to a steel match with some running and gunning and SHORT strokes the weapon without having the magazine engaged.......is not going to have a good day, and will look like a piker on the interweb

the butt stock change-over is easier than picking your nose.....kinda like taking a bayonet on and off your basic off-the-shelf-home=defense-assault gun......or even doing a quick change with some of them bannana CLIPS on your AK's.....

I've used my Tubb 2K at the ITRC several times, no problems, yet. Zak's videos do make me nervous, and I have an AW so I'll probably shoot that next time with a .260 barrel.

I do like having a twenty round mag, some of the barrel burning stages at the ITRC are well served with a twenty rounder.

The Tubb is a sweet shooter.

i have a spectaclr and i use it for tactical shooting...i haven't taken it to Texas or the desert yet so i cant comment on the dust...i have been practicing the support side and it takes some getting used to but its not impossible. the 20 round mags are a real advantage and the gun is a hell of a shooter so for me the pros out weight the cons!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a spectaclr and i use it for tactical shooting...i haven't taken it to Texas or the desert yet so i cant comment on the dust...i have been practicing the support side and it takes some getting used to but its not impossible. the 20 round mags are a real advantage and the gun is a hell of a shooter so for me the pros out weight the cons!!!!!!! </div></div>

That's what I'm wondering...I have one (match rifle config) and it held mostly x-ring (elevation is all I was after to validate position, load and all other adjustments to the gun) this weekend at 600 yards with iron sights on a mid-range NRA target.

In my mind you have a gun that has won long range championships out of the box, is a switch barrel, magazine fed, no bedding, pre-chambered barrels....

Below is a picture of the accuracy David Tubb got while experimenting loads for the 6xc, it can be found at 6mm.com if anyone would like to read up on it (20 round group at 1000 yards). That is uncommon accuracy for an out of the box rifle...even a custom. The only thing I really wonder about is how rugged the trigger would be....

tubb.jpg

It seems to have everything we strive for with our custom rifles.

I saw the video...but I'm not convinced it shows the gun mechanically malfunction, I've seen stuff like that happen on a square range or the AZ match...was it dust or someone that fucked up cycling the bolt because they were flustered. I don't know I wasn' there...all I'm saying is that the video doesn't seem to conclusively prove the malfunctions were due to mechanical failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the Anschutz trigger be changed out to a Timney or Rifle Basics ?</div></div>

me thinks not....

it don't get no better than the existing trigger....its a "winning" kinda thing,,,,,,after all so many trophys to back up what boltripper says.....

Thats too bad.Seems it would be a good option for more reliability in nasty conditions like in that video.Maybe it's a very rare occurrence.I know I've had my Jewel trigger fail before in dusty conditions.