• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb 2000 final bore polishing system

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I was looking through my Midway USA catalog, and saw these bullets that are supposed to polish the bore of a rifle to enhance accuracy. It consists of 50 bullets that are impregnated with 5 different progressively finer polishing compounds. It smooths out the bore reducing fowling and less drag. They remove .0003" of metal from the bore and includes reusable plastic case.

Knowing Tubb has created many new things, has dominated many competitions, my question would more less be would this actually help, or would this be something like "breaking in the barrel" technique.

Another question is if it does work ,I've shot over 600 bullets through my 308, would this be a beginning of a barrel breaking in method or would it be fine to do after that many rounds have been shot through a barre.

Link

Re: Tubb 2000 final bore polishing system

I think it's great for factory barrels. They usually seem to shoot about 40% tighter groups.

You can use it on used barrels. Just get them very clean first.

I can't see any reason to get this product anywhere near a premium barrel.

From what I have gathered (no personal experience) a barrel with that many rounds probably wont see the same results as one that has just a few (each time you shoot a regular bullet it does the same thing just alot slower)

My rifle shoots very tight groups especially for a factory barrel, I was just wondering if it would make a huge difference. If I could get smaller groups from what I have would make it even better
wink.gif
Like the previous poster said factory=sure, premium=no.

I bought the kit a few years back because I noticed some iregularities in both my Savage and my brothers. I bought the kit from Midway(ordered 190's but got 175's
mad.gif
) but I used it just the same. I followed the instructions (only using steps 3 through 5 which are the finer compounds) but split the kit's bullets between the two guns. My gun at the time had around 500 rounds through it, and my brother's was LNIB. Both of them polished up nicely, and you could literally feel them getting smoother with the cleaning rod. Now my gun shoots just as if not more accurate but the real benefit is it is never dirty when I clean it, what used to be a long scrubbing procedure is now just a quick couple of wet patches every 4-500 rounds. I would do it again on a factory gun, but as mentioned already, there is no reason to do so with a premium barrel from any of the well known firm's.

I was always curious about these systems for my gun as well, but never had the guts to try it out in fear of making my barrel worse.

I know it'd definitely help with cleaning but accuracy I'd have to see some before after results.

Tubbs Final Finish works great in a factory barrel, even if that barrel has seen some extent of use. You will definitely see less fouling, a slight increase in speed, and very often an improvement in accuracy.

I have run it in two Remington factory barrels, both with good results.

As stated above there is no reason to use it on a custom barrel.

I like it a lot for my new rifles with factory barrels, including 22lr.

It did tighten the group a bit initially. But the groups continued to tighten thereafter. Could be the Tubbs or could have been finding better loads.

Looks like I'll buy some then. I have a tough time getting my barrel clean.

Appreciate it Rob. I'll probably be getting some now. Cleaning my rifle is a bear sometimes.